Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 01:40 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
When was the last time you were in downtown Raleigh??
I was in Raleigh in June.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Here we go...., I am saying that SouthPark is Charlotte's version of Buckhead...they are similar but of course there are differences. Buckhead definitely has taller buildings and a larger skyline and of course being in Atlanta is bigger...
Southpark would have to be a lot closer to Uptown in size to be considered Charlotte's version of Buckhead.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I was in Raleigh in June.
Then I'm afraid your bias is showing.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Southpark would have to be a lot closer to Uptown in size to be considered Charlotte's version of Buckhead.
You just dont get it...its not a knock on Raleigh at all....and it doesn't have to be closer in size...its about function.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 PM

597 posts, read 448,836 times
Quote:
Southpark is toe to toe with them all apparently.

You left off Uptown Houston. Tysons Corner, Buckhead, Uptown Houston, and Southpark.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Buckhead has about 16-17million sqft of office depending on which report you choose to read. Southpark has like 5.6m. DTR has 5.2m of rentable office space but that doesn't include the additional like 2m of government office space that leasing agencies don't put in their quarterly reports. Thats from CRBEs market outlook.

I think DTRs total is like 7.4m from the the Alliance's last report. With another 1m under construction currently.

Just so everyone has the numbers.

In 2013, Tysons had 13 Million in around 4 Sq. Miles. So yeah. In any event... Nothing comparable in NC to Buckhead/Tysons.

But, it does make sense if you say SouthPark is Charlotte's version of Buckhead. I wouldn't disagree with that assertion. But I'm good at math so I know how to think in terms of proportionality. I don't know why that's a controversial thing to say.

(Now. If you say SouthPark is bigger than downtown Raleigh. Then I'm going to pull the "Yeah. It's just a couple buildings by a mall"). But come on people. There's no point in being dramatic because you misinterpret people or someone else is being dramatic...

Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
You left off Uptown Houston. Tysons Corner, Buckhead, Uptown Houston, and Southpark.
Have you been into the eggnog already? : D

Old 12-19-2019, 02:03 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Downtown Manhattan is bigger than South Park, but South Park is smaller than Buckhead, which is bigger than downtown Raleigh, which is small than downtown Chicago, which is bigger than downtown Los Angeles, which is smaller than downtown San Francisco, which is bigger than the office park off I-40 in Hickory, which is smaller than the office park at the corner of Ware Road and Military Avenue in McAllen, TX near the US/ Mexico border, which is much smaller than the office park in downtown Miami, which pales in comparison to all the growth going on in downtown Seattle with Amazon, which is smaller still than Manhattan, but Boston comes in as a wild card and is bigger than Buckhead and South Park combined, but then you have Canada.... does Toronto count?

Old 12-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
In 2013, Tysons had 13 Million in around 4 Sq. Miles. So yeah. In any event... Nothing comparable in NC to Buckhead/Tysons.

But, it does make sense if you say SouthPark is Charlotte's version of Buckhead. I wouldn't disagree with that assertion. But I'm good at math so I know how to think in terms of proportionality. I don't know why that's a controversial thing to say.

(Now. If you say SouthPark is bigger than downtown Raleigh. Then I'm going to pull the "Yeah. It's just a couple buildings by a mall"). But come on people. There's no point in being dramatic because you misinterpret people or someone else is being dramatic...
Yeah those numbers are staggering.

And look if that's how you and QC view southpark, fine. I get it. A mall focused built up area. Sure. But Buckhead rivals downtown and midtown Atlanta. Southpark doesn't sniff Uptown. The dynamic isn't close to being the same. So that comparison is tough to swallow for me.

As far as the Southpark being a "larger" business district then DTR, context matters. Unfortunately a lot of the numbers for Southpark that get flaunted are from the total neighborhood (edge city) that is like 3700 acres. Not just around the built up parts. DTR for comparison is like 700+ acres.

So in physical size, sure it's larger. In population totality, (16k in 3700 acres vs 10k in 700 acres) sure it's larger. Even in employees it might be larger though there's less office space. But that's also because it's centered around a mega mall. It's just not at all an apples to apples comparison. I guess it could feel busier in the sense that a major mall is bustling. Traffic might feel more congested. But heck the same thing could probably be argued for the Crabtree mall area. But thats not the same busy or large dense feeling you get from a traditional downtown.

Which btw I know that you know since I think you countered with that already.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Then I'm afraid your bias is showing.
Not at all.....smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina