Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Iredell was part of the Triad at some point and then joined Charlotte's (and in 2013 MSA). It seemed like something that could've caused slower growth had that happened.
No, the numbers shown by year are with the same CSA constitution.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:40 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Nice work!!! This video in South End Charlotte was taken during our current shut down.

Thanks and right back at you, honestly at this point after all this is said and done, two things are gonna be certain, a lot of us are gonna be in the best shape of our lives and the worst lol. Trails are like the only thing not closed down and people are definitely out there using them.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4Z...ature=youtu.be
Made a quick downtown durham vid just to see who was out and about, which was mostly nobody but there was tons of people running the circle around east duke campus.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-znZoIW-s

My aunts that have discovered facebook smh has been getting on me for going out so much but most places are empty, especially if you go at the right time, that social distancing is automatic because there's no one out anyway lol.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 PM

also I'm not going flood you guys with videos because I know this is still the development thread lol, I'm just bored

Old 04-09-2020, 01:05 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Nice work!!! This video in South End Charlotte was taken during our current shut down.

Charlotte's solid strip of new apartment complexes along the rail line is very unique. I wonder if any other newer city has anything similar?

It could make Charlotte become known as one of the most walkable new-growth cities.

But to me that corridor that has been created isn't all that appealing. It looks like some scene from Queens or Brooklyn that's not pretty but accepted as part of living in NYC.

Could more trees beautify it a little more?

To me, it looks narrow as if it was constricted by a river or some other geographical barrier.

Is there any retail along the railtrail? That with some outdoor seating could create a cozy alley for a dynamic social scene.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:39 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Charlotte's solid strip of new apartment complexes along the rail line is very unique. I wonder if any other newer city has anything similar?

It could make Charlotte become known as one of the most walkable new-growth cities.

But to me that corridor that has been created isn't all that appealing. It looks like some scene from Queens or Brooklyn that's not pretty but accepted as part of living in NYC.

To me, it looks narrow as if it was constricted by a river or some other geographical barrier.

Is there any retail along the railtrail? That with some outdoor seating could create a cozy alley for a dynamic social scene.
There are plans for more trees, plants, seating and such. It's definitely not a finished product.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Yes to all of it. Several Breweries, Restaurants front it. It goes through "downtown" Southend AKA Camden street and a lot of the mall style retail (Anthropologie, etc. grocery store and other retailers) faces the street. There are a lot of seating and pedestrian engaging things a long it. Adult sized teeter totters, swings, lounge chairs, swings, the "Before I die I want to...." Chalk board.

It gets narrow in a couple parts but it's pretty wide otherwise.

All of the new development is having Rail Trail facing retail also.

Here's just a few pics. The entire length is filled and there are plans for even more interactive things and more breweries and retail facing it:

^ That fronts the Rail Trail

There continues to be a lot of push to make the rail trail have more and more features and upgrades. Murals, etc. It's a key plan for the city.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-09-2020 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 08:55 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yes to all of it. Several Breweries, Restaurants front it. It goes through "downtown" Southend AKA Camden street and a lot of the mall style retail (Anthropologie, etc. grocery store and other retailers) faces the street. There are a lot of seating and pedestrian engaging things a long it. Adult sized teeter totters, swings, lounge chairs, swings, the "Before I die I want to...." Chalk board.

It gets narrow in a couple parts but it's pretty wide otherwise.

All of the new development is having Rail Trail facing retail also.

Here's just a few pics. The entire length is filled and there are plans for even more interactive things and more breweries and retail facing it:

^ That fronts the Rail Trail

There continues to be a lot of push to make the rail trail have more and more features and upgrades. Murals, etc. It's a key plan for the city.
Yeah, I think I did mention that my video link was recorded during our current social gathering restrictions. Under normal circumstances, the rail trail is fairly active and crowded.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
I think it would be nice to have a few bodegas open up at the corners oof the residential buildings.

You have he eateries etc. likely closer to central core (I can't say Uptown, just don't like it), and likely concentrated which is fine.

I think a few tiny benches/gathering places like with a hot dog stand or minimal food / convenience store would be great along that very residential section. More neighborhoody patronized by just 2 or 3 apartment complexes.

That's just what i think would make for a cozy, social scene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina