Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,340,852 times

Advertisements

https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...74dff9b110.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...983b249dd.jpeg

Southpark:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...897166f74.jpeg

Old 07-02-2020, 02:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,341,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Charlotte confirmed as the East Coast headquarters of Fortune 500 #61 Centene with an information technology hub and the creation of 3,300+ jobs initially at an average wage of $100,000 on a 100+ acre 1,000,000 square foot campus in the University City neighborhood. The total investment by Centene will be $1 billion. The long term build out is to a total of 6,000 jobs.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/07...ssid=112928427
So disappointed they decided to build a 1985-style sterile office park instead of a modern, mixed-use, transit-oriented development with connectivity.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:18 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
So disappointed they decided to build a 1985-style sterile office park instead of a modern, mixed-use, transit-oriented development with connectivity.
Once they're up and running, they might find it useful to run a shuttle bus back and forth to the light rail. That could easily be sold as a benefit.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:52 PM

797 posts, read 672,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Once they're up and running, they might find it useful to run a shuttle bus back and forth to the light rail. That could easily be sold as a benefit.
Maybe. But there is ample room to build around most of the light rail stops in UC, even when talking about 1M+ sq ft worth.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:02 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,624,118 times
Quote:
Definitely agree. Great from an economic perspective for the city and it will provide good jobs for the area, but the development itself is definitely not forward thinking transit wise in a metro growing increasingly congested.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:40 PM

3,062 posts, read 4,799,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There's been a DGX in Raleigh for a couple of years now and it was surprisingly nicer than I expected it to be. Then again, my expectations were very low. I wouldn't expect to do my grocery shopping there on a regular basis but they will have some things to pick up to tide city residents over in a pinch. All in all, getting one of these stores is bit of a coup for a city the size of Wilmington. The concept is pretty new and there aren't that many of them at the moment.
14 stores nationwide, with a goal of adding 20 more this year. In places like Nashville, Cleveland, and Indianapolis.

But Wilmington has that urban environment and has tried to get a grocery store downtown for years. Store is in such a prime location that it will be used by both residents and tourists.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
14 stores nationwide, with a goal of adding 20 more this year. In places like Nashville, Cleveland, and Indianapolis.

But Wilmington has that urban environment and has tried to get a grocery store downtown for years. Store is in such a prime location that it will be used by both residents and tourists.
Understood. getting full size grocers to commit to an urban location is a numbers game on their end.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Where exactly is their site?

Old 07-02-2020, 04:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,340,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Where exactly is their site?

There’s several articles from their CEO I think citing crime as a reason for relocating to Charlotte. He’s mentioned crime a lot.

Quote:

He says Charlotte, where the company is planning to build a regional headquarters, has its act together on such things as its airport, light rail system, city schools, crime and even the response to the coronavirus.

"You look at the totality of it," Neidroff told KMOX's Charlie Brennan and Amy Marxkors, "They had a little rise in crime, they jumped on it right away. The mask policy (instituted by North Carolina's governor). The things that are sound pubic policy. They really are thinking ahead. It's a very welcoming city. The whole time I've been there no one's asked me what high school I went to."

When asked if it's easier to recruit employees to Charlotte, Neidroff said, "There's no comparison." He cited his effort to recruit a senior person of color to St. Louis, "It was the weekend they announced the 13th child had been killed and they said, 'We're not coming to St. Louis.'".

https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news...doesnt-improve

Im actually surprised there aren’t more of these campuses. Lowe’s, Dimensional Fund, Honeywell and Lending Tree has very suburban campuses before relocating to high-rises in urban Charlotte.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,901,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Definitely agree. Great from an economic perspective for the city and it will provide good jobs for the area, but the development itself is definitely not forward thinking transit wise in a metro growing increasingly congested.
With all of the dense infill, congestion should be stable or even decreasing.

I don't know why y'all desire more and more compact density.

There's nary a tree in the first photo, and I think being integrated with the landscape, NC's main strong point, is ideal.

Y'all seem determined to become New York or something.

Or maybe you are trying to boost ridership on the light rail.

It's like the qualities and characteristics of large cities is most important to you.

You crave that atmosphere, but are not willing to enjoy it in other other cities, and especially the one place where it's seeming endless in size and scale, NYC.

That skyline shot is awesome and I love for people to guess the metro population from just looking at the picture.

Jaws would drop when you told them 2,9 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina