Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,543 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I also used to live in Jersey (exit 17, lol), and am currently living in MD. I am currently doing research into moving to NC, and I was just reading about the taxes in NC on the state websites. Although you will get hit with the DMV taxes that your not used to in Jersey, your home tax should be considerably less. For instance, I read that the home tax on a house in Wake county is between .60 and .90 per $100 of home value (depending on the town). Even at the high end, the way my math works is that if I buy a $200K home (valued the same, just to keep this easy), then my yearly property tax is $1800. This is similar to what I'm paying now in MD, but WAY lower than Jersey!! Not to mention to amount of house you can buy in NC for $200K is WAY more than you can touch in most parts of Jersey (or MD for that matter, which is why I'm looking to move). Hope this helps. Oh also, here is just one site I found to compare taxes to... http://www.retirementliving.com/RLstate3.html
Not that I'm retiring, but it gave me alot of info that I was looking for.
Another site that helped was for schools:
http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 18,051 times
once again thanks for the info
Hey ex-jersian, i'll check out those sites.(ps i live in whiting, it's near toms river and great adventure)

Thanks Ed

Old 06-05-2006, 02:24 AM

123 posts, read 357,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
Cars, trucks, real estate, RV's, motorcycles, even little lawn mower trailers use to haul things are taxable. That is in addition to your house of course. It is called property taxes. The way the DMV thing works is when you register you car or what have you, you get a plate or sticker for the back of the vehicle. About three months later you get a bill for the value that DMV determines.
I have a DMV question:
We have two 1999 Jeep Cherokee's that we will be bringing with us when we move. We paid about $9,000 a piece for them. How long do we have to register them in NC. Is licensing and registration separate from taxing them?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite
I have a DMV question:
We have two 1999 Jeep Cherokee's that we will be bringing with us when we move. We paid about $9,000 a piece for them. How long do we have to register them in NC. Is licensing and registration separate from taxing them?
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...oRegister.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina