Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 10,731 times

Advertisements

I currently live on Long Island. I plan on moving within the next year or so. I’ve been looking at several places/States, North Carolina being one of them. I’m on my late twenties, and I’ll be moving on my own. I’d want a place with affordable apartments. I’m also looking for an area in/by the mountains, somewhere with beautiful scenery. I’d like an open area to live in, but that’s also fairly close (20-30 minutes) to a city that has everything (supermarket, stores, etc). However, if the city isn’t too crowded, I wouldn’t mind living there, rather than 20 minutes away. I’d like a place with a lot of friendly, welcoming people. Since I’m moving alone, I’d like an area where there are places/activities where I can meet people (I’m not talking about the bars). An area with low crime is a must, and an area where I can do a lot of outdoor activities is a plus! I work as a lab technician and plan on staying in that field of work, with the possibility of moving up to a chemist. Of course I’m going to wait for a job opportunity before I pick up and move. I just want to know where I should look first based on my preferences. Any and all recommended places/advice would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
You will probably need to find out where you would be able to get a job before you decide where to live. The biggest employers for lab technicians/chemists are in RTP. If you end up there, then you could look in the Burlington, Mebane, Hillsborough area though that won't put you in the mountains. Instead you'll be in the foothills. Asheville hits a lot of your wants, though it's not really affordable and you may or may not be able to find employment and I wouldn't say it's necessarily got a low crime rate. If you could find employment in Winston-Salem or Charlotte, you could live on the outskirts and be within a couple of hours of the mountains.

Another area I have heard has good employment opportunities is Greenville, SC. It's also about an hour from Asheville, but also pretty close to other mountain areas (like Brevard and Hendersonville).

Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 AM

193 posts, read 158,704 times
well Boone , has mountains most of that area are college students i think , Charlotte or RTP (Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill) are good areas , also try researching concord , huntersville

Old 10-30-2017, 05:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em170 View Post
I plan on moving within the next year or so.
I just want to know where I should look first based on my preferences.
I'll suggest that you look where you have good job prospects...
and plan to spend some time traveling to a few places before deciding.

Quote:
Of course I’m going to wait for a job opportunity before I pick up and move.
Nope. It really doesn't work that way unless you have some really special skill.
You'll need to choose a place first, then move there... then find the job.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
P
Nope. It really doesn't work that way unless you have some really special skill.
You'll need to choose a place first, then move there... then find the job.
I respectfully disagree. I think it should be job first, then move. Of course, this assumes that a person is able to either travel for the interviews or the employer is willing to do a video conference.

Besides, apartments/property management firms are unlikely to rent to someone without either a current verifiable job in the area or written offer of employment... at least in my experience.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 AM

21 posts, read 25,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think it should be job first, then move. Of course, this assumes that a person is able to either travel for the interviews or the employer is willing to do a video conference.

Besides, apartments/property management firms are unlikely to rent to someone without either a current verifiable job in the area or written offer of employment... at least in my experience.
I disagree. Moving without a job first is doable, but it's safe to make sure you have money saved in case. I moved with my husband to NC 2 years ago and was only asked for our pay stubs and bank statement. We used our pay stubs from NY and we both didn't have a job offer. The apartments just want to see if you have sufficient assets. We got our apartment first then we found jobs within a month of moving.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Since you're young and single, I recommend visiting the places in NC that seem like they'd have what you want for jobs, scenery, amenities, etc. Then... move.

Get a job waiting tables if you have to, just to keep yourself afloat until you get a job in your field. Heck, get 2 jobs. You can do it. You are young and single.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em170 View Post
I currently live on Long Island. I plan on moving within the next year or so. I’ve been looking at several places/States, North Carolina being one of them. I’m on my late twenties, and I’ll be moving on my own. I’d want a place with affordable apartments. I’m also looking for an area in/by the mountains, somewhere with beautiful scenery. I’d like an open area to live in, but that’s also fairly close (20-30 minutes) to a city that has everything (supermarket, stores, etc). However, if the city isn’t too crowded, I wouldn’t mind living there, rather than 20 minutes away. I’d like a place with a lot of friendly, welcoming people. Since I’m moving alone, I’d like an area where there are places/activities where I can meet people (I’m not talking about the bars). An area with low crime is a must, and an area where I can do a lot of outdoor activities is a plus! I work as a lab technician and plan on staying in that field of work, with the possibility of moving up to a chemist. Of course I’m going to wait for a job opportunity before I pick up and move. I just want to know where I should look first based on my preferences. Any and all recommended places/advice would be great. Thanks!
Stick near the larger cities since you're young and looking to make new friends. Asheville comes to mind if you like mountains, but I'm not sure how affordable it is there. Depends on what salaries you can find as a lab tech. It's a very unique place and has a great vibe to it.

Charlotte probably isn't what you're looking for, but it is close to Asheville. Surrounding towns may work well for you.

I recently moved to Raleigh last month. Not sure what sorts of mountain activities there are here, if any, but I know there are lots of outdoor things to do. Lots of paved trails that go through the woods which you can roller skate, bike, or walk on. Very quick two hour drive to Wilmington and other coastal towns if you want beach activities.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Stick near the larger cities since you're young and looking to make new friends. Asheville comes to mind if you like mountains, but I'm not sure how affordable it is there. Depends on what salaries you can find as a lab tech. It's a very unique place and has a great vibe to it.

Charlotte probably isn't what you're looking for, but it is close to Asheville. Surrounding towns may work well for you.

I recently moved to Raleigh last month. Not sure what sorts of mountain activities there are here, if any, but I know there are lots of outdoor things to do. Lots of paved trails that go through the woods which you can roller skate, bike, or walk on. Very quick two hour drive to Wilmington and other coastal towns if you want beach activities.
Asheville isn't affordable and the job market is tough, although you could see what opportunities there are there looking online, probably.

Between RTP and Burlington you would have a lot of R&D in the triangle, Duke and UNC, LabCorp's toxicology and a few other operations in RTP, their corporate HQ and many lab operations in Burlington, etc...You are a bit further from the Mountains.

I'm not entirely sure what would or wouldn't be available in either Winston-Salem/GBO or Charlotte as far as laboratory jobs.

Charlotte is the bigger metro and within a reasonable drive to the mountains.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:44 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Asheville would be your best bet with all of the things you mentioned. Though the city itself is expensive, its suburban counties are more affordable. It has a big health care industry, so you might be able to get a job in that area. Charlotte might be a stretch (2 hours from Mnts.) and the Raleigh/Durham area is a bit far from the mountains. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina