Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,138,984 times

Advertisements

Did you see signs everywhere that read "Meth = Death"? I remember being similarly creeped out driving by a town called Pink Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,560,211 times
Honestly, I find some of the newer, upscale areas in the Triangle and Charlotte equally or more creepy than the more laid back rural areas where people simply don't have much money.

The areas I'm talking about look like a Disney theme park, with their pseudo yuppie "historic" facades emulating a Norman Rockwell scene, with an odd array of Victoria's Secret, the Gap, and Banana Republic and monuments (literally) to conspicuous consumption that strangely feel like the bastardized small town that is really a shuffled suburban mall with the same boring chain stores, but trying to feel like a real town with character. It may look better than some of its older counterparts, but there's not much substance or character there, even if lots of money was poured into it to give it instant "character." Will this hold up better than a typical strip center? Maybe. But I think it's the look of trying to create character in such an instant fashion rather than having it develop organically that feels so creepy (to me).

Like this: https://goo.gl/maps/7i32N45FBNq which incidentally dumps right into this https://goo.gl/maps/TZK2dTn6fGA2.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-31-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 PM

8,773 posts, read 10,180,688 times
Creepy? No. Although I can understand why someone might feel that way.

Sleepy? Yes. Try driving Highway 74 from say Whiteville to Laurinburg sometime at night. Not only are there few places to pull over and/or get a coke or coffee, but you will feel like you've been driving in place for most of the trip. Robeson County in particular feels like an hour to drive through. Very easy to get a case of the heavy eyelids, and it doesn't help that the highway is poorly lit.

Now if you want a "creepy" feeling. Highway 70 between Kinston and New Bern might do the trick. It's only about 30-40 minutes but there's hardly any signs of civilization along the way. You could also look into some areas in the mountains.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 10-31-2017 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 PM

868 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Creepy? No. Although I can understand why someone might feel that way.

Sleepy? Yes. Try driving Highway 74 from say Whiteville to Laurinburg sometime at night. Not only are there few places to pull over and/or get a coke or coffee, but you will feel like you've been driving in place for most of the trip. Robeson County in particular feels like an hour to drive through. Very easy to get a case of the heavy eyelids, and it doesn't help that the highway is poorly lit.

Now if you want a "creepy" feeling. Highway 70 between Kinston and New Bern might do the trick. It's only about 30-40 minutes but there's hardly any signs of civilization along the way. You could also look into some areas in the mountains.
If you want a good mix of creepy and sleepy, try I-85 north of Durham nighttime between Exit 191 (Butner/Creedmoor) and 202 (Oxford/Clarkson), 11 miles of nothing and the longest gap between exits on that interstate in North Carolina. Couple that with little in Warren County off Exits 223, 226 and 229 before you reach the Virginia line at mile marker 233, and you've got an hour drive from the Triangle that feels like an eternity. It's not helped any by the road construction being done for 20 miles on it right now on both sides from the state line southward. (And don't get me started on the even worse I-85 in Virginia, which apart from Exits 4, 12 and 15 is virtually a desolate, dark drive with trees in the median for 45 minutes until you reach Petersburg and it merges with I-95).

Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 PM

127 posts, read 134,456 times
You guys need to get out more if you think the rural places are creepy. There is nothing rundown and abandoned here really to the point compared to west texas and new mexico.

What I do find creepy is all the the soulless neighborhoods that are all shoved in there, that you stroll through and there are no people outside. Grass and trees, nah.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,593,454 times
The description in the OP does sound a bit creepy.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,290,403 times
The economic base of ENC is for the most part gone. Textiles and tobacco were once lucrative businesses there. Now the only places growing are Greenville (ECU based economy) or Wilmington (beach)..

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,515,592 times
Robeson County is a very unique county that have almost equal parts of American Indian, Black and White.

//www.city-data.com/county/Robeson_County-NC.html

The lack of traffic in that area except for Highway 74 is because the highway has been improved and left the old road through Maxton and several of other small towns. It used to take forever to go through there at 35-45 mph but now you can drive at 55-70 mph on a four lane road.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 AM

2,841 posts, read 2,954,619 times
The sleepy thing is because the roads are so straight with no turns you as th driver don’t actually do anything

Old 11-02-2017, 07:29 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,905,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingroofgoat View Post
Let me be very clear before you derail my post: it was not the poverty. I have encountered a lot of poverty before. Poverty is not “creepy”
Well, most North Carolinians would consider the towns out in the Southwest desert totally creepy as well, like along I-10 and I-40 in Arizona and New Mexico where there’s not one tree among 100 houses or so sitting all alone in the vast open desert where you can see 50 miles in every direction.

I mean El Paso’s nice residential neighborhoods look like you’re living on the surface of the moon.

It’s shocking initially, you’re thinking how could anyone normal live in such an opposite landscape from what you’re accustomed to.

Only area frightening to me is south of Miami through Homestead heading to the keys. I feel I’m about to be carjacked at every traffic signal down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina