Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM

70 posts, read 96,666 times

Advertisements

What was NC like 20-30 years ago for those alive back then

I was talking to my Family Members and they were talking about how Holly Hill Mall was booming and The Carolina Circle Mall was amazing. She said she remembered walking through Ivey's In the Carolina Circle and going through Belk at Holly Hill. She said she missed those old days along time ago. Now Carolina Circle is Gone and Holly Hill Mall is almost empty. She said it's quite sad seeing the Mall in such bad condition. She said Carolina Circle always had that special touch.

What do you guys think? I honestly feel times just move on and nothing will stay forever.

I do Miss Holly Hill though I have good memories in there. I remember I was in Belk as a Kid and I jumped on a Rack with Clothing swinging like a Monkey and It feel over ohh the Good Times getting eyed at by security....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:10 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
I can remember when US1 was a two lane road from Sanford to Raleigh.
Traffic was never an issue anywhere. Those were the good ole days!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 AM

70 posts, read 96,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I can remember when US1 was a two lane road from Sanford to Raleigh.
Traffic was never an issue anywhere. Those were the good ole days!
US 1 use to be a 2 lane road?

Old 11-19-2017, 12:05 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post
Almost everything used to be a 2 lane road.

I do not miss Greenville -> Raleigh being a 2-2.5 hour trip and having to pass through the worst part of Wilson.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:48 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
Oh yes, from Sanford to Raleigh and Sanford to Southern Pines as well.
Cole's Pottery was right next door to my house and he had to move down 15-501
so they could build the exit ramps, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post

Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
Twenty years ago 1997 and 30 was 1987. Sometime around 1988-90, I-40 opened up in Orange and Durham Counties so you can now drive from Wilmington, NC to California.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:34 PM

873 posts, read 1,016,885 times
I can recall the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving in 1988 when I left my job in High Point to drive back to see my parents in Chapel Hill. Usually that took about an hour, but back then when I-85 and I-40 merged in Greensboro, the joint highway was only two lanes in both directions beyond the city eastward, and the result was that it took me over 90 minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic just to go 25 miles and finally get off at NC 54 in Graham. There was no I-40 at that time either, which meant it was a real pain getting in and out of Raleigh at the time. The state is still fairly behind in getting its transportation needs met within and between its major cities, but it's a lot better than how antiquated 30 years ago seems in comparison.

I do remember shopping at Holly Hill Mall and Carolina Circle, but the heyday for them and other malls have passed thanks to online shopping and big box superstores that didn't exist back at the time either. Well, correct that, Kmart and Sears and a few other places did exist, but you didn't hang out there the way you did at the malls. It's definitely different and better overall, in my opinion, but I think we've lost something with customer service and common courtesy in the process.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Almost everything used to be a 2 lane road.
I grew up in Raleigh and went to summer camp near Black Mountain in the 60's. I remember my parents driving us the entire way on US 64 & US 70 before I-40 was built. A few memories along the way: there was a hatchery in downtown Cary and I would always cry "I wanna chickie! I wanna chickie!" when we'd pass by it. LOL There was a soft-serve ice cream shop where the road turned a corner in Marion we would stop at. We always stopped at Mulls Restaurant in Hickory on the way home from camp. They had little dolls in the front window in colorful crocheted dresses.

Those of us alive 20-30 years ago? Oh my, the OP is very young. Or maybe I'm getting old.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
The major cities have all seen moderate to explosive growth in not just population, but also in commerce, businesses, and entertainment. 30 years ago the state had no major-league sports teams at all, by 1997 the NFL, NBA, and NHL had set up shop in Charlotte and Raleigh (Greensboro for the Canes temporarily).

The rural areas continue to mostly decline minus the coastal and mountain towns that are geared towards tourism. As time goes on and technology continues to evolve, thats just going to hurt those places even more.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I grew up in Raleigh and went to summer camp near Black Mountain in the 60's. I remember my parents driving us the entire way on US 64 & US 70 before I-40 was built. A few memories along the way: there was a hatchery in downtown Cary and I would always cry "I wanna chickie! I wanna chickie!" when we'd pass by it. LOL There was a soft-serve ice cream shop where the road turned a corner in Marion we would stop at. We always stopped at Mulls Restaurant in Hickory on the way home from camp. They had little dolls in the front window in colorful crocheted dresses.

Those of us alive 20-30 years ago? Oh my, the OP is very young. Or maybe I'm getting old.
LOL! I remember when Crabtree Valley was an actual swamp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina