Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone so obsessed with huge growth? The triad is growing just fine, it is not in desperate need of 30k more people a year... only benefit that brings is to the wealthy few.... If anything hopefully these growth estimates end up being overestimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I’m not really buying state politics as a reason between N.C./SC.

Greenville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Charleston have strong visions of where to go next. Port city, Financial city, Tech city, progressive small city.

With the Panama Canal upgrades, Charleston is moving hard to capitalize on it. It also plays a role in them scoring manufacturing jobs.
Quote:

.....Newsome said the Charleston's maritime industry will benefit from additional container volume generated by the start of production at Samsung's appliance manufacturing site in Newberry as well as the Volvo Cars and Mercedes-Benz Vans vehicle campuses in the Charleston region. All are scheduled to begin production next year.

.....The Charleston-based maritime agency has now set cargo records in nine of the first 10 months of this year and set an annual mark for fiscal 2017, when ended June 30.
Another month, another cargo record for Port of Charleston | Business | postandcourier.com

Charlotte is a big beneficiary of the Charleston port. Things get shipped to Charleston via big cargo ships and then they get on the rail road to Charlotte airport, from there, cargo is shipped via truck, rail & airplane.

Quote:

Norfolk Southern’s $92 million intermodal rail freight yard opened in December 2014. It sits between two runways at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. An increase in activity at the port will likely translate to an increase in business in Charlotte, Eisenhauer said.

Charleston has been preparing for the changes in Panama. By 2020, Eisenhauer said it will deepen its harbor to 52 feet, which will be the deepest on the East Coast. He said some of the companies that use the port have already said they are going to increase the size of their ships to take advantage of the canal’s new locks.

“Charlotte is positioned well to benefit from the increased freight flows,” he said. “It’s hard to quantify it at the moment, but we certainly are optimistic and encouraged. We think it will be a positive effect on our whole region.”

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charl...e85879222.html

Greenville, SC has just been pouring lots of efforts into their downtown and it’s paying dividends.

Quote:
Greenville named fourth fastest-growing U.S. city

The city has been investing steadily in infrastructure, such as a new city park planned west of downtown, and has seen surpluses in tax revenues that will be set aside to accommodate further growth in population, he said.

The city's revitalization downtown has paid dividends in attracting people and development, whether it's renovation of homes in the North Main and Augusta Road neighborhoods, new homes slated for the massive development of the Verdae properties or the proliferation of luxury apartment growth in the West End.

job growth in the Upstate, you walk away from that analysis with a positive perspective,” he said. “We’re clearly working on the concept of re-urbanization. We feel like Greenville’s very well positioned for continued to growth."

Throughout the past 25 years, the study reported growth in the 10-county region has had a low-density, single-use pattern, moving away from the city centers and requiring the expansion of infrastructure such as water and sewer, police protection, schools and parks — the so-called suburban sprawl.

Hybl said 90 percent of those in a meeting of dozens of elected officials throughout the region wanted to see the growth trend in a different direction.

I don’t feel like I have to find articles about Raleigh & Charlotte, but both also have strong directions. One might need to expand on Raleigh for me since I’m not from there:

Raleigh
- Technology Center
- World Class universities, hospitals & research park
- Higher Education
- An entire region thats liberal
- Dual City, Durham has great unique vibe
- College Sports
(And probably one I’m missing)

Charlotte
- Metropolitan bigger city of Carolinas, major league sports
- Financial Hub
- Energy Hub
- Logistics Hub, 7th or so largest airport in the world

Greensboro & Winston - in my opinion - are remnants of a past era. They were always moderately big cities in N.C. and I feel like they’ve been content and have no clear direction after manufacturing & tobacco went down hill. I think both woke up and realized they had to do something to stop slipping behind Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville. The population growth & projections don’t exactly contradict my beliefs.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you aware that the Upstate rode out the recession in better shape than most other areas because of the BMW plant?

Like Raleigh, Columbia is a state capital.

If Berger can be reigned in to get some large, good paying projects they might be able to turn it around in the Triad. They aren't doing something wrong. They have been growing. Had they gotten Volvo, you'd probably be looking at a spike in population right now.
No, im not aware. I stated that already i dont know much about SC. Thats why im throwing it out there to see what interesting tidbits people can share.

And the state capital thing doesnt matter a whole lot. Plenty of small cities with little growth that are capitals. Raleigh didnt grow much for a long time. I was just wondering if there was more to Columbia in itself i guess. Never been there.

Anyways, do you think however that now its looking like Greensboro will possibly get the toyota mazda plant that growth will stay the same or see a substantial uptick? I guess that was my point. Having those plants are great but i find it hard to believe thats a major reason why an area would keep growing at a really nice pace.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
@charlotte485

That was kind of more in line with what i was thinking but wasnt sure. I dont know what the quality of life is like in Greenville or Columbia. Surely theres more to it then the governor pulling a couple of car plants in.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Greenville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Charleston have strong visions of where to go next. Port city, Financial city, Tech city, progressive small city.

With the Panama Canal upgrades, Charleston is moving hard to capitalize on it. It also plays a role in them scoring manufacturing jobs.

Charlotte is a big beneficiary of the Charleston port. Things get shipped to Charleston via big cargo ships and then they get on the rail road to Charlotte airport, from there, cargo is shipped via truck, rail & airplane.

Greenville, SC has just been pouring lots of efforts into their downtown and it’s paying dividends.

I don’t feel like I have to find articles about Raleigh & Charlotte, but both also have strong directions. One might need to expand on Raleigh for me since I’m not from there:

Raleigh
- Technology Center
- Higher Education
- College Sports

Charlotte
- Financial Hub
- Energy Hub

Greensboro & Winston - in my opinion - are remnants of a past era. They were always moderately big cities in N.C. and I feel like they’ve been content and have no clear direction after manufacturing & tobacco went down hill. I think both woke up and realized they had to do something to stop slipping behind Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville. The population growth & projections don’t exactly contradict my beliefs.
Greenville has been focusing on the downtown, but the BMW plant in Greer is expanding again, & has expanded before. There's the plant itself, but also related plants. Gastonia, Kings Mountain, & Shelby have each landed at least one related facility, but most are located in the Upstate. That's driving a lot of what's going on in Greenville's economy & the related growth.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Any objective stats on Greenville, SC’s growth ? I am not very familiar with that area.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Its actually crazy to see the potential growth. I think its great to see 3 metros be dominant but also be quite different from each other. Though Charlotte and Raleigh will continue to seperate themselves and grow even further into big cities, i do believe the Triad and probably Greensboro in particular will enjoy a modest growth increase then maybe what is even predicted.
I agree looks like they are really low balling the Triad figures. It's hard to believe The Greensboro metro would only gain 100,000 by 2040.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Raleigh
- Technology Center
- Higher Education
- College Sports

Charlotte
- Financial Hub
- Energy Hub

If you look at current patterns in the Triad, Winston-Salem is growing into a research/innovation city and is still a banking center. Greensboro is a growing aviation/aerospace , distribution & logistics, advanced manufacturing and insurance hub. These industries are rapidly replacing the dying textiles and tobacco industries in the area. As we see more and more jobs fill these sectors, you'll see a spike in growth. When its all said and done I think the Triad will see more growth than projected.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If you look at current patterns in the Triad, Winston-Salem is growing into a research/innovation city and is still a banking center. Greensboro is a growing aviation/aerospace , distribution & logistics, advanced manufacturing and insurance hub. These industries are rapidly replacing the dying textiles and tobacco industries in the area. As we see more and more jobs fill these sectors, you'll see a spike in growth. When its all said and done I think the Triad will see more growth than projected.

Yeah. I mentioned that GSO/W-S just recently woke up and decided to get
On the ball. The one thing the pops out in your list is Charlotte is a big player in logistics, banking center, advanced manufacturing & insurance hub. Charlotte is even an “emerging tech city” (which simply means we are adding lots of tech jobs and because tech isn’t so big here, it makes our percentage look bigger. Although, Financial Technology is huge here, I always assumed it was lumped with Finance). In regards to logistics, we have one of the worlds largest airports, direct rail access to the Charleston port (largest port in Southeast/Gulf)and the large intermodal hub at the airport sandwhiched between two runways.

Quote:

Charlotte’s intermodal shipping facility has put the Queen City “on the map” nationally as a transportation hub, a Norfolk Southern official told Charlotte business and civic leaders Thursday.

Retired Superior Court Judge Chase Saunders, another organizer of the group, said Charlotte needs to position itself as an “inland port” with easy access to rail, interstate highways and the airways.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charl...le9135605.html
Here is a link to an entire resource on CLT’s logistics hub. You can find many things easily. The Triad, out of interest I looked up logistics hub Greensboro, and all I could find was the logistics organization that sought to make the Triad a logistics hub disbanded from lack of funds (and it was a paid article so I couldn’t read anymore)
http://charlotteusa.com/business-info/transportation/

There’s another city that’s a larger logitics hub than Charlotte. Atlanta. Another banking hub is Atlanta. I feel like the industries you mentioned are easily dwarfed by cities within Virginia, the Carolinas, & Georgia alone. And some of them come with the territory of becoming bigger (IE, logistics hub).

I feel like I can’t really have an honest conversation about the Triad because people might take it offensively.

Charlotte has been obsessed with development of uptown since probably the 40’s & 50’s. Here is a time capsule from mayor Brookshire from the 60’s opened in 2014

Quote:

Brookshire also wrote a letter to city residents 50 years in the future. City officials believe the letter discussed the progress made by the city at that time as well as projects Brookshire expected to be completed by 2014, according to a city statement.

A 1964 article in the Charlotte News said that he estimated the city’s population would be 1 million by the time the capsule was opened. He also anticipated that the city would have an outer beltway, according to a statement from the city.

Brookshire, who served as mayor from 1961 to 1969, was considered a champion of economic development

I remember reading somewhere that during the Cold War, someone had written an article and said Charlotte would be offended if it weren’t amongst the first wave of soviet bombs.

Mayor after mayor for a long time has always had the same growth ambitions. Jennifer Roberts was more focused on social issues. But Vi Lyles is all about mass transit. No surprise we are thinking of going to the state to ask for a penny tax to build the next 3 light rail lines at once.

Raleigh on the other hand, if I’m not mistaken, had a similar lengthy history in regards to research development and higher education.

I’m not sure the Triad, or at least it was never clear to me, has had a strong vision that is decades old. I mean of course the Triad is growing, but outpacing growth projections on those industries, I don’t foresee as of now. But lots of these visions take many decades to come about, so. We will see

Last edited by Charlotte485; 11-29-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I mentioned that GSO/W-S just recently woke up and decided to get
On the ball. The one thing the pops out in your list is Charlotte is a big player in logistics, banking center, advanced manufacturing & insurance hub. Charlotte is even an “emerging tech city” (which simply means we are adding lots of tech jobs and because tech isn’t so big here, it makes our percentage look bigger. Although, Financial Technology is huge here, I always assumed it was lumped with Finance). In regards to logistics, we have one of the worlds largest airports, direct rail access to the Charleston port (largest port in Southeast/Gulf)and the large intermodal hub at the airport sandwhiched between two runways.

Here is a link to an entire resource on CLT’s logistics hub. You can find many things easily. The Triad, out of interest I looked up logistics hub Greensboro, and all I could find was the logistics organization that sought to make the Triad a logistics hub disbanded from lack of funds (and it was a paid article so I couldn’t read anymore)
Charlotte USA - Transportation - Infrastructure, Network, Highway, Charlotte Douglas International Airport, CLT, Port, Foreign Trade Zone | Charlotte Regional Partnership

There’s another city that’s a larger logitics hub than Charlotte. Atlanta. Another banking hub is Atlanta. I feel like the industries you mentioned are easily dwarfed by cities within Virginia, the Carolinas, & Georgia alone. And some of them come with the territory of becoming bigger (IE, logistics hub).

I feel like I can’t really have an honest conversation about the Triad because people might take it offensively.

Charlotte has been obsessed with development of uptown since probably the 40’s & 50’s. Here is a time capsule from mayor Brookshire from the 60’s opened in 2014

I remember reading somewhere that during the Cold War, someone had written an article and said Charlotte would be offended if it weren’t amongst the first wave of soviet bombs.

Mayor after mayor for a long time has always had the same growth ambitions. Jennifer Roberts was more focused on social issues. But Vi Lyles is all about mass transit. No surprise we are thinking of going to the state to ask for a penny tax to build the next 3 light rail lines at once.

Raleigh on the other hand, if I’m not mistaken, had a similar lengthy history in regards to research development and higher education.

I’m not sure the Triad, or at least it was never clear to me, has had a strong vision that is decades old. I mean of course the Triad is growing, but outpacing growth projections on those industries, I don’t foresee as of now. But lots of these visions take many decades to come about, so. We will see
Greensboro is playing catch up but I can see Greensboro becoming an equally large aviation, distribution and logistics hub to Charlotte because of Greensboro's interstate infrastructure, the FedEx hub and the lower airport activity which is more of a benefit to aviation companies and particularly if we see more companies like HondaJet come to Greensboro. But currently Charlotte and Greensboro are the state's largest distribution/logistics/trucking hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina