Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:51 PM

110 posts, read 394,209 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina, what is the yearly percent increase in rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 PM

36 posts, read 164,312 times
My rent went up 107 in one year. In MA and CT that would be illegal without alot of renovations but I guess it is normal here. We are very good tenants with our rent paid on time but it is a complex and that was their increase in a year's time

Old 12-09-2006, 03:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
I really don't think there are any laws that apply to this. Whatever the owner/landlord wants to do, they can do it. Of course if they raise it too much, people will leave...so they usually find whatever balance they feel the local market will support.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:39 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
It's an issue of rent control vs. no rent control, which doesn't have to be state-wide. Where I've lived (outside NC), some municipalities have it and others don't. If it was "illegal" in MA or CT, they must have rent control, which wouldn't surprise me of those states.

I haven't done any 1031 exchanges to NC for rental property, but I have yet to hear of any rent control in the area where I'm looking. However, it may be different in other cities. Perhaps someone can speak for their own towns or Li-Sung can specify which town is of interest.

It all comes down to differences across different states. For example, it can take many months for a landlord in some states to evict a deadbeat renter. The landlord ends up unfairly carrying the renter for up to 6 months or longer with little to no recourse. However, in another state, three days after the renter misses his payment the landlord can take pay a small fee to the Sheriff's Department and have the renter physically evicted. It's just differences in the politics and viewpoint of the population.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 18,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Sung View Post
In North Carolina, what is the yearly percent increase in rent?
Can anyone tell me what is the maximum legal amount a landlord can increase the rent, per year, in Charlotte?

I really need to know if there is a maximum?

Thanks,
Tony

Old 01-11-2007, 05:59 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
^ Again, I could be wrong, but in living in NC all my life, I've never ever once heard at any time of any laws regarding how much a landlord can charge for rent....period.
Obviously, if a landlord charges too much, no one will lease the place, so they'll charge the highest amount that a tenant would be willing to pay.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,797 times
Our rent did not go up after being here a year. We stayed at the same amount as long as we signed another year lease, otherwise it would have gone up by $50. Now that we are looking to buy that puts us in a time frame, hopefully we won't find something we like until this lease is up! By the way we are in a home, and not a complex.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
^ Again, I could be wrong, but in living in NC all my life, I've never ever once heard at any time of any laws regarding how much a landlord can charge for rent....period.
Obviously, if a landlord charges too much, no one will lease the place, so they'll charge the highest amount that a tenant would be willing to pay.
I'm not aware of any rent control laws either. I've been in NC off and on since July of 1960. Supply & demand seems to be the rule for setting rents in NC.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-11-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,993 times
There is definitely no rent control in the state of NC or any provision about maximum increases. The specific statue can be found here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_42/GS_42-14.1.html]GS_42-14.1 (broken link)

It reads: "No county or city as defined by G.S. 160A‑1 may enact, maintain, or enforce any ordinance or resolution which regulates the amount of rent to be charged for privately owned, single‑family or multiple unit residential or commercial rental property."

I can also personally attest to this-my rent is increasing $200/month in July, a 32% increase. At least our representatives are working for us and not corrupt at all. *scoffs*

Last edited by CLTBrad; 05-04-2008 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: reformatted HTML

Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
I say if your rent goes up and you don't want to pay the increase then you move to someplace cheaper. Obviously if people raise the rent too much then no one will want to live there. I don't believe in rent control since I'm a capitalist, but I do believe that if someone is charging too much for your tastes then you have every right to move out and find a cheaper place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina