Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,622 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate out of the southwest Florida area because EVERYTHING is a drive away. My city has a walkability score of 7/100 and I'm not making that up. We want to move somewhere where we will have:

- seasons other than wet/dry and hurricane/less hurricanes
- decent-good schools
- easy walking access to parks, schools, restaurants, libraries, coffee, shops, groceries, etc.
- homes (townhouses, condos, SFH, whatever) available under $200,000

This doesn't need to be a huge city - we just want to be able to get outside and walk to some of the necessities. Anyone know of anywhere wonderful for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:50 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsthejenn View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate out of the southwest Florida area because EVERYTHING is a drive away. My city has a walkability score of 7/100 and I'm not making that up. We want to move somewhere where we will have:

- seasons other than wet/dry and hurricane/less hurricanes
- decent-good schools
- easy walking access to parks, schools, restaurants, libraries, coffee, shops, groceries, etc.
- homes (townhouses, condos, SFH, whatever) available under $200,000

This doesn't need to be a huge city - we just want to be able to get outside and walk to some of the necessities. Anyone know of anywhere wonderful for this?
Hendersonville is a wonderful small town. Consistently ranked as one of the best small towns in America. Four seasons, very good schools, gorgeous downtown. The only drawback might be affordable housing.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
I can't think of a place in NC that meets all your criteria. I can think of places in various NC cities and towns that meet your criteria. For instance, in Greensboro there a is a large Target shopping center on Lawndale drive. Surrounding that are neighborhoods with houses under $200K, so you could buy one of those and live within 2 or 3 blocks of a Target, grocery, store, restaurants, other shops, etc. Its not a charming small town, but again, I don't think you're going to find that in your price range.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsthejenn View Post

My husband and I are looking to relocate out of the southwest Florida area because EVERYTHING is a drive away.
My city has a walkability score of 7/100 and I'm not making that up. We want to move somewhere where we will have:
This isn't about any specific city but rather one or another NEIGHBORHOOD within that city (or town).

Most OLDER cities have these "walkable" areas but they tend to be either the long standing, well established corners
(and at the expensive end of prices for that market) ...or they tend to describe themselves in the 'future tense'
as they are deep into the 'gentrifiction' process.

NC has both types (to some degree) in most of the cities/town... but most will be farther north & east than NC
===

The rest of the relocation basics are the same hard factors that still need to come first: JOBS & INCOME.
Will the mover earn enough to comfortably afford the COL where they can find the soft factors they also want?

It's often a tough needle to thread.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Hillsborough, NC meets your criteria.

It's really small, but charming.

Don't know if you could find a job there, though.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Cameron Village in central Raleigh is walkable & NC State University is very close by where walking dominates/

It's an urban campus though, living in harmony with senior citizens and families of all ages in the leafy neighborhoods.

Downtown Wilmington, NC is also worth a look. It has many of Florida's climate positives without the negatives.

It snows there about once every 3 years or so.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Cameron Village in central Raleigh is walkable & NC State University is very close by where walking dominates/

It's an urban campus though, living in harmony with senior citizens and families of all ages in the leafy neighborhoods.

Downtown Wilmington, NC is also worth a look. It has many of Florida's climate positives without the negatives.

It snows there about once every 3 years or so.
Can you buy in Cameron Village for $200,000? I find that hard to believe.

You can't buy anything I'd live in in downtown Wilmington for $200,000. and the schools would be terrible.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times
Maybe Fayetteville’s Haymount? Good schools, good walkablity, low crime, and 1300 sqft $200,000 townhouses.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Don't do that.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:33 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Don't do that.
Not a fan of Haymount? Seems like a great area to me when I’ve driven through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina