Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:59 PM

29 posts, read 34,583 times

Advertisements

Is there a train that goes straight from charlotte to Raleigh and vise versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 01:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhezzy2003 View Post
Is there a train that goes straight from charlotte to Raleigh and vise versa?

Yes. Amtrak. 60$ round trip I believe. Maybe 3 a day. I think Carolinian and crescent are the names. Trips are supposed to become more frequent and faster. Not sure if that’s already happened.

Also both cities are building downtown stations, Raleigh being much further along in the process. That will probably usher in another round of expansion. From what I understand, NC has one of the busiesr Amtrak corridors outside of the north east.

And it is worth nothing the current Charlotte Station is in a very terrible area of town. Most people would feel more comfortable taking Uber or Lyft.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Yes, three a day, morning, mid-day and late afternoon departures. Another Piedmont service is supposed to be added early next year once the new station is completed in Raleigh. The maintenance facility being built in Charlotte will also open next year and allow for longer trains.

Piedmont and Carolinian Schedules

Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yes. Amtrak. 60$ round trip I believe. Maybe 3 a day. I think Carolinian and crescent are the names. Trips are supposed to become more frequent and faster. Not sure if that’s already happened.

Also both cities are building downtown stations, Raleigh being much further along in the process. That will probably usher in another round of expansion. From what I understand, NC has one of the busiesr Amtrak corridors outside of the north east.

And it is worth nothing the current Charlotte Station is in a very terrible area of town. Most people would feel more comfortable taking Uber or Lyft.
Where's the new station going to be in Charlotte? Raleigh's really isn't moving that far; it's just a jump across the track to be contiguous with the core of the Warehouse District.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Where's the new station going to be in Charlotte? Raleigh's really isn't moving that far; it's just a jump across the track to be contiguous with the core of the Warehouse District.
Charlotte Gateway Station

Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
When is Gateway Station planned completion date?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
That's a much more central location. I just mapped from Trade/Tryon to the existing station and it's 1.8 miles. That's way too far from the city center. Good move on Charlotte's part. I suppose that it will take a few years for this to become a reality? It looks like it's wrapping up design right now. I guess 2020?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
When is Gateway Station planned completion date?

For all phases including office, etc, 2024. The Amtrak portion & GOld Line portion, earlier. Construction starts in 2018. It will ultimately House CATS buses, greyhound, Megabus, additional light rail lines, Southeast high speed rail & commuter rail.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:14 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
I've done the amtrak between Charlotte and Durham many times.

Choose the Piedmont train if you can help it, more reliable.

The Carolinian and Crescent are more likely to get delayed.

Last edited by Atony; 12-03-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That's a much more central location. I just mapped from Trade/Tryon to the existing station and it's 1.8 miles. That's way too far from the city center. Good move on Charlotte's part. I suppose that it will take a few years for this to become a reality? It looks like it's wrapping up design right now. I guess 2020?
Anything is better than its current location. That place is a dump in a terrible location! Frankly Raleighs current train station isn't much better. Union Station will be an awesome upgrade! Hopefully the Charlotte Gateway Station will come together soon.

I visit Charlotte 6 or more times a year. I'm looking forward to the day both stations are up and running.

It's a shame for NC's 2 largest cities to have the worst train stations in the entire state. At least the ones I've visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina