Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGir1 View Post
I agree with doing a welfare check through the Police Department. CPS shouldn't be called until there are facts of what you are reporting. I wouldn't want the Mother knowing I had anything to do with the situation, not knowing the Mother or what kind of person she is things could turn bad real fast.
When you put your nose in to someone's private life (especially if you don't even know them) they can become very angry so I would leave it up to the Police Department to handle.
When you call the police, you are asked for your name.

If you know that there is abuse or neglect, you are obliged to report it. If you stir up a hornets nest because of an unsubstantiated rumor, you open yourself for a lawsuit, if it turns out to be false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM

727 posts, read 711,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When you call the police, you are asked for your name.

If you know that there is abuse or neglect, you are obliged to report it. If you stir up a hornets nest because of an unsubstantiated rumor, you open yourself for a lawsuit, if it turns out to be false.
If the report is made in good faith, a reporter should be immune. This article is for social workers, but discusses other types of mandated reporters and suggests you NOT investigate the situation yourself:

Social Workers as Mandated Reporters: What Happens If I

I've been reading all these posts and can't help but think how I would feel if a tragedy occurred because the allegations were true, and I did nothing to prevent it.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:16 AM

29 posts, read 18,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This.

Don't call unless YOU can verify for yourself that those kids are in danger. To do anything else is to throw a hand grenade into the mom's life and the kids' lives. A far kinder thing to do would be to offer to help if you're really concerned. If you don't want to babysit the kids yourself maybe you can help the mom find somewhere to take them or someone reliable who is willing to watch them. There is no rule or law in North Carolina about how old a child has to be before they can be left at home alone.

When is it OK to Leave Your Child Home Alone?

You don't even know how old the kids are. I'd start there. Ask them yourself or ask the mom. Introduce yourself. Take them some holiday cookies or something and try to be a good neighbor.

If, after you get to know them, you are still concerned for the kids' welfare and are unable to help supervise them yourself or unable to put the mom in touch with a child-care program or someone who can supervise them then there are instructions on what to do here:
https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/contacts/faqs.htm

I agree completely ! If you do not know first hand if they are alone , how long there are alone or their ages , do not put strain on this Mother the family or her situation .

In my state there is no age. But there is a website with recommended time frames for kids to start being responsible. If your child is responsible at age 7, then I think it’s around 30 mins a day. But it’s the parents discretion as to if she feels they are capable of handling being left at home.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:47 PM

271 posts, read 255,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
Today I heard that a mother who recently moved into my NE Raleigh community may be leaving two small children at home alone sometimes. I don't know the mother or the children. There are at least two children and both may be under seven. This information originated with a community resident who lives very near the family and who believes the children may be alone at times, but is not sure. Monitoring things like this is difficult due to the design of our community which gives each household a lot of privacy even though there are several residences in each building.

My two major choices seem to be to inform Wake County Child Protective Services (CPS), turning over responsibility for investigating the situation to them, or to talk with the mother first to hear her side of the story. Are there others? The property manager for my home association is on vacation. I could contact one or more association board members, but I suspect they will face the same questions I'm facing.

Leaving young children alone can pose serious dangers for their safety and the safety of other residents in the building (if, for example, they start a fire). For me, this argues that this may be an urgent situation and that I should take urgent steps, although nothing harmful may happen. Agree?

This is the first time I've been confronted with this situation and will appreciate any recommendations and information.
You're ready to report this mom to CPS without any proof to the validity of what is being said about her? You're ready to turn someone's life upside down without knowing for a fact if any of it is even true? YOU need to confirm this before YOU start making calls. Did the thought ever occur to you that maybe the new family on the block gives bored gossips something new to gossip about? Be sure before you make any accusations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: