Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

First i want to say hello to all here and want to thank those that respond.

Here is my situation,

Im from jacksonville florida and my wife to be is from Morgantown west virginia.

I have lived in jacksonville my wholelife and my wife to be has lived in west virginia all her life.. She moved to jacksonville awhile back to be with me fulltime as she was attending school in west virigina and has now graduated...She wants to move to a halfway point between WVA and Florida so that we can be about the same distance from our families...It appears North Carolina is our target..

My question is to those that have made the move to North Carolina...How do i go about gathering info to make such a choice and could those here in these forums give me there advice on where i should look.. And even give me some locations to concider..I have read alot of the topics here..but thought i would start my own..to get it off the ground.

We are both liking the idea of a senic location..but me being a florida boy i would like to stay as warm as possible...lol

Thanks again for the advice in advance

FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Western NC can get very cool in the winter I would choose any area east of that location. You can choose Eastern NC or coastal but I think the central Piedmont would be your best bet to enjoy on day road trips to the mountains and the beach.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
well first, what line of work are you both in, as that would help narrow down where you might find jobs, and therefore narrow down where you might want to live.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 PM

i am currently a sub contractor of a delivery business and she is a pharmacy tech in a hospital.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 26,348 times
Hey,
I moved here 2 1/2 years ago from Long Island. We wanted someplace somewhere in between Florida and LI and settled on Morrisville after we flew down for a long weekend and checked things out. We lived there for one year (rented an apartment) while we looked around for a house, got used to the area and checked out where we did and didn't want to live/work/etc.

We bought a house in Raleigh, near Cary and Apex a year later. We have never regretted leaving LI and LOVE living in NC. People have always been really nice and welcoming.

Example: I was at a shopping area looking for a store when someone pulled up next to me and asked directions. I told him that I didn't know much about the area cause I was new and he said, "Welcome to the south! How do you like it? Enjoy!!" And he was a complete stranger! It made me feel good, course. lol

Like others have said, decide on what type of business you will be working in, check out the available jobs and try to go somewhere in that area. I HIGHLY recommend renting for the first year so you get a feel for the area.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
We came to NC from CA a year ago. I was positive I wanted to buy a home in the mountains here--Western NC. We stayed at a friends home for 3 months while we looked at homes...we found and bought a home in a town we had no idea even existed! No where near the mountains but in the Piedmont. I thought I did not want to live in the Piedmont when we first came here. I was so wrong. We are in the middle of everything, everywhere...the mountains and the beach are not to far either direction. The weather, although quite warm in the summers, is not horrible at all and the winters are the best. Basically a very mild climate but still all the seasons. Fall is beautiful as well as spring. We found a perfect location with perfect neighbors all in a town we never even knew was here. So I agree, rent for at least a while so you can check out all the areas and talk to the people. There are so many places here that no one even knows about. And while you are looking at the areas you can also find out about the available jobs.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM

i appreciate the info so far...I have also heard that Raleigh is really nice....got kinda a dumb question...what is "In the Piedmont?" is that a county or town?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkerLethal View Post
what is "In the Piedmont?" is that a county or town?
NC Regions

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/p...phy_600dpi.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 03-29-2008 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 AM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
i am/was lucky in the my parents live in charlotte so when I moved from Tampa, I knew where stuff was. I think we drove over & looked around at apts & such atleast 2 times

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

149 posts, read 515,420 times
our coast is pretty, but it can get pretty chilly on the ocean front in the winter!

I agree, the central part of the state will probably be your 'mildest' choice- although we get cold too- just are spared that ocean wind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina