Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
As others have said, you're not going to find that sort of thing down here. You should focus your job search in Charlotte since it's by far the biggest finance center in the state.
This.. competition is steep here. . My husband is also in finance (brokerage investment) and it took him over year to find a job..I'm talking 75+ applications. Landed a job with a trillion dollar finance company. We like it but are considering other opportunities elsewhere later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 03:32 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Landed a job with a trillion dollar finance company. We like it but are considering other opportunities elsewhere later this year.
I haven't heard of any company in any field with a market capitalization of a Trillion dollars. The speculation is that Apple will be the first, in a year of so.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I haven't heard of any company in any field with a market capitalization of a Trillion dollars. The speculation is that Apple will be the first, in a year of so.
Sounds like the poster was referring to assets.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM

420 posts, read 452,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expeditionroad View Post
Neither feel like boston
Expeditionroad is absolutely correct.

I am a NY Transplant. Love Boston. Been there many times. Vacation on Cape Cod many summers.
I have gotten used to it down here and love it for what it has to offer. There is NOTHING here that will feel remotely close to anything in NEW ENGLAND. I don’t miss NY but I miss being a short drive away from The Berkshires, Boston, Cape Cod, etc. Hubby and I struggle with this but we are getting older and the bitter cold and snow have become intolerable.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg194 View Post
i'd like to live in an area that reminds me of somewhat of home -- something close to the heart of the city with a newton/wellesley feel.
I typically don't try to speak up for an OP, but nowhere in this OP's post did he request a city that looks like Boston. He specifically asked for something close to the heart of the city that looks/feels like Newton, Mass. Below is a driving tour of Newton, Mass and the Myers Park area of Charlotte. Both videos can be viewed at the same time for a comparison.

And for those who couldn't see the homes in the Charlotte video above, the video below has better close-ups.

https://youtu.be/-Pr9IWxVKoA

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-11-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
I forgot to state this in my previous post. IMO, a young person who is interested in a finance job (and loves Boston) should take a SERIOUS look at San Francisco. San Fran is like a Boston with much more comfortable winters. I suspect that our OP knew that he wouldn't find a Boston in the southeast (New Orleans is the closest I can think of).

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I have a nephew in finance in San Francisco. Could be a good place to look. He's early in his career and moving around a lot right now. Was in Palm Beach FL before that and Manhattan before that.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Sounds like the poster was referring to assets.

correct, sorry for the confusion

Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I typically don't try to speak up for an OP, but nowhere in this OP's post did he request a city that looks like Boston. He specifically asked for something close to the heart of the city that looks/feels like Newton, Mass. Below is a driving tour of Newton, Mass and the Myers Park area of Charlotte. Both videos can be viewed at the same time for a comparison.

And for those who couldn't see the homes in the Charlotte video above, the video below has better close-ups.

I cant imagine at the OP's young age they're going to be able to afford the prices those homes demand in either city. I could be wrong but just an observation. So the feel of those kind of communities may be moot if you're budget doesn't allow one to live there

Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 PM

158 posts, read 315,808 times
Thank you for the ride down Centre St in Newton. It was nice to see my old stomping grounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina