Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 50 28.09%
Ashville 36 20.22%
Raleigh 59 33.15%
Durham 19 10.67%
Greensboro 20 11.24%
Winston-Salem 10 5.62%
Wilminington 20 11.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Nice edit. You had to rework that already sad post to add even "spice" huh ? The hurt is definitely showing. The fact remains, you sifted through a year plus of my posts just to construct a spicy "comeback" to my reply in an entirely different thread. At 5am this morning you were still going. The sun wasn't even out. Had you even had breakfast yet? The ignore function is a great idea. I know you allegedly don't care about my advice, but how about you take your own?
Yeah, I was up early this morning to see what the hurricane was doing, since I live right in the path of it. I hope thats ok with you?

You have a strange fixation on me. It was fun messing with you, but now you're just weird. Go away.

And please stop damaging G'boro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
Surprised Raleigh is winning.

What makes it overrated?
I'm surprised that you're surprised that Raleigh is winning...

North Carolina is full of overrated cities:

•Raleigh is only overrated because of the amount of press it gets. It has a large booster club on multiple websites, that speak about the city in the fashion that it's more than what it is. It is a largely average place, but it almost takes living here to realize it...

•Greensboro is overrated in the sense that people around NC hype Greensboro's nightlife and shopping like its first rate....then you go there and realize they have about 2-3 blocks of nightlife activity in the entire city. That's it? The shopping is okay, but it isn't elite...

•Durham is treated like it's a wholly unique place, but there are a bunch of smallish, liberal/artsy cities around the country. It's not all that unique...

•Greenville is spoken of like it offers more for its size than you'd expect, then you get there....and it's exactly what you'd expect cities its size to be. Nothing more in "G-Vegas" lol, what a horribly misleading nickname...

•Asheville is boring and small and has the same thing Durham has going on--->there are a bunch of Asheville's around the country...

Now I will say this, life isn't lived without nuance. You can be both underrated and overrated, and I can make a case that all if these cities are kinda underrated too, but for sure they're all overrated to some extent or other!

Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
•Durham is treated like it's a wholly unique place, but there are a bunch of smallish, liberal/artsy cities around the country. It's not all that unique...
But most smallish liberal/artsy places don't have the Black history/population of Durham. That is what makes it unique to me. Overall I think it's more underrated than not. It's like a smaller Baltimore, overshadowed by the neighboring planned, more buttoned-up capital city...but with a more affluent White population.

Quote:
•Greenville is spoken of like it offers more for its size than you'd expect, then you get there....and it's exactly what you'd expect cities its size to be. Nothing more in "G-Vegas" lol, what a horribly misleading nickname...
You sure you're not thinking about Greenville SC? I've never heard Greenville NC spoken of like this.

Quote:
•Asheville is boring and small and has the same thing Durham has going on--->there are a bunch of Asheville's around the country...
Asheville doesn't have Duke, RTP, NC Central, or Black history like Durham's. Durham also isn't touristy like Asheville and Durham's 'liberalness' seems more organic.

Although you're right that there are several other Asheville's around the country, there are very few in the South.

As far as Raleigh goes, it's definitely its intangibles that set it apart. If anyone is expecting that to translate into a NOLA or Miami-type place, they will be quite disappointed.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:

•Greensboro is overrated in the sense that people around NC hype Greensboro's nightlife and shopping like its first rate....then you go there and realize they have about 2-3 blocks of nightlife activity in the entire city. That's it? The shopping is okay, but it isn't elite...
It's North Carolina nightlife and shopping... everything's graded on a curve. C'mon now.... but yes, you're spot on with the analysis here.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You sure you're not thinking about Greenville SC? I've never heard Greenville NC spoken of like this.

Yeah, Pretty sure Greenville, SC is being confused with NC here. Everybody knows there isn't a damn thing in Greenville NC aside from ECU lol

Quote:

No no no... Asheville is worth ALL the hype. Probably THE NC city that lives up the most to its hype.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
But most smallish liberal/artsy places don't have the Black history/population of Durham. That is what makes it unique to me. Overall I think it's more underrated than not. It's like a smaller Baltimore, overshadowed by the neighboring planned, more buttoned-up capital city...but with a more affluent White population.

Asheville doesn't have Duke, RTP, NC Central, or Black history like Durham's. Durham also isn't touristy like Asheville and Durham's 'liberalness' seems more organic.

Although you're right that there are several other Asheville's around the country, there are very few in the South.

As far as Raleigh goes, it's definitely its intangibles that set it apart. If anyone is expecting that to translate into a NOLA or Miami-type place, they will be quite disappointed.
Greenville, NC, where I live, is referred to as “G-Vegas.”

Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Greenville, NC, where I live, is referred to as “G-Vegas.”
As is Greenville, SC but that wasn't really the part I was talking about.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 PM

597 posts, read 449,923 times
Quote:

r!

I've never heard of anyone hyping up Greensboro's nightlife or shopping...... usually I hear is how boring the nightlife is... and how basic the shopping is.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:

No you're right, the size and prominence of the black community do make Durham unique...

Never lived in SC, so I've never heard Greenville SC referred to as anything other than its actual name. Been around NC 14 years and always heard Greenville NC marketed as G-Vegas, and spoken highly of like it's a larger city...

I never expected Raleigh to have the tourism or draw that those cities you mentioned have. I'm on record several times speaking on how Raleigh nightlife has grown and matured over the years, but even coming here this past spring, I expected a greater "something", that isn't related to nightlife or anything along those lines...its intangibles are real, though, and I've said that many times as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
I've never heard of anyone hyping up Greensboro's nightlife or shopping...... usually I hear is how boring the nightlife is... and how basic the shopping is.
Nah, there are definitely NC'ers who boost and boast about Greensboro nightlife and shopping lol...

Old 09-07-2019, 05:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
My opinion? For 2019?

Greensboro is very overacted, it’s literally all local news stations talk about. Most jobfairs have Greensboro-highpoint posters, so people think they’re the same city, Greensboro sucks up every major event that comes to the triad, music festivals, the pga tour, every main stream music concert, ghoe, and soon Broadway, etc, it gets nearly all lot of publicity when it comes to the triad...Greensboro pretty much is the center of the triad, most people don’t even realize other cities in the triad exist until they travel to them. When you land at PTI”GSO” you’re automatically in Greensboro, you have to then travel to other places, Greensboro does whatever it takes to keep the spotlight.

Case in point, when nick canons wildn’ Out came to the coliseum 2 months ago, nick canons cohost called Winston a “small ass country town” to a sold out show, Winston residents in the audience booed him of course, and dc young fly and nick canon had to damage control.. but this just emphasizes what I mean, peoples misconstrued perceptions of cities outside of greensboro.

I also agree above about the statement regarding shopping and nightlife.

Winston is so underrated that it make me sad sometimes but I wouldn’t call it irrelevant, it’s just overshadowed by its neighbor.

Last edited by YinXyang; 09-07-2019 at 05:45 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Is just say the beach in general. Nice to visit but not a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina