U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:47 PM

4,961 posts, read 3,007,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Cold-air damming (CAD) is a big negative for the Piedmont area. It can be warmer further north but the area is socked in clouds and cold. Had a lot of it in the spring and with the latest noreaster where it was 33 and rain. I would rather just have snow or warm.
I think you're onto something there. That's what causes the cold (just above freezing) and bleak rains that can last for days on end. I remember about 10 years ago there was a system like this that lasted for two solid weeks in December.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 03:36 PM

3,621 posts, read 4,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think you're onto something there. That's what causes the cold (just above freezing) and bleak rains that can last for days on end. I remember about 10 years ago there was a system like this that lasted for two solid weeks in December.
Cold air damming is prolific and legendary last year. Last June, a cold air damming event in mid June resulted in bleak days with Highs in the 50s while areas to the North were enjoying 70s and 80s.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:55 PM

3,081 posts, read 2,797,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Cold air damming is prolific and legendary last year. Last June, a cold air damming event in mid June resulted in bleak days with Highs in the 50s while areas to the North were enjoying 70s and 80s.
Well, Atlanta experienced the same weather with last day of May, 1st day of June being 55 degrees at noon.

Atlanta does not have any of the blocking effects from the mountains like the NC Piedmont does.

In my experience, Atlanta is exposed to the very cold fronts that swoop down from the Midwest and Plains states. We can see extreme changes in short amounts of time, however the cold air moderates quickly as Atlanta is not too far from the Gulf of Mexico.

NC's central region has the mountains to prevent very abrupt changes from fronts coming through, but in the winter Northeastern cold air sinks down from Virginia and stays for a while because there's other fronts can't sweep it out quickly.

Atlanta and Raleigh share similar weather, except Raleigh is a little colder and Spring is about 2-3 weeks behind Atlanta's.

March 15th you can expect people to take their first ride in convertibles with the top down.

March in the Northeast can be the most snowy....April is nothing but rain, May is their first good weather.

It's the end of the winters in the Northeast that suck, the cold weather doesn't want to release its grip, and every Spring the weather maps show the country all warm except for the little cool patch over New England.

Their summers are magnificent but short. By Labor day the nights are already in the upper 50s.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:43 PM

126 posts, read 112,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well, Atlanta experienced the same weather with last day of May, 1st day of June being 55 degrees at noon.

Atlanta does not have any of the blocking effects from the mountains like the NC Piedmont does.

In my experience, Atlanta is exposed to the very cold fronts that swoop down from the Midwest and Plains states. We can see extreme changes in short amounts of time, however the cold air moderates quickly as Atlanta is not too far from the Gulf of Mexico.

NC's central region has the mountains to prevent very abrupt changes from fronts coming through, but in the winter Northeastern cold air sinks down from Virginia and stays for a while because there's other fronts can't sweep it out quickly.

Atlanta and Raleigh share similar weather, except Raleigh is a little colder and Spring is about 2-3 weeks behind Atlanta's.

March 15th you can expect people to take their first ride in convertibles with the top down.

March in the Northeast can be the most snowy....April is nothing but rain, May is their first good weather.

It's the end of the winters in the Northeast that suck, the cold weather doesn't want to release its grip, and every Spring the weather maps show the country all warm except for the little cool patch over New England.

Their summers are magnificent but short. By Labor day the nights are already in the upper 50s.
Atlanta is certainly susceptible to the same cold air damming events like the NC piedmont, and that's one of the reasons that NE GA occasionally gets ice storms. Though, since Atlanta is further southwest, the cold air doesn't linger as long and can more easily get routed out.

Can't Stand the Gloomy Weather in the Southeast? Blame Cold Air Damming. - DAMWeather

As someone from the Northeast (albeit southern, perhaps more mid-atlantic area), I can say it is indeed more cold and rainy in the spring than further South. However, 70s in March isn't unusual and we do have nice days, usually starting in March, but in earnest in April. Also have weeks where it rains almost the entire week! Spring is very changeable.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:37 PM

3,144 posts, read 3,453,756 times
Man I genuinely don't understand how people can LIKE hot and humid weather. It's so doggone uncomfortable. Breaking into a sweat walking from my front door to my car, cooling somewhat down on the drive to Target, sweating again walking across the parking lot, cooling down in the store, getting into a burning hot car again and start dripping with sweat.....GROSS. NO. NONONONONONO. NO!!!

Old 12-30-2020, 02:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 13,043,764 times
I miss it LH. I love summer. It's by far my fave season. My ranking is
1. summer
2. spring
3. fall
4. winter.

I hate winter. Around May or June is my fave time of year with the whole blissful summer to look forward to.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:01 PM

I love winter! The best season

Old 12-30-2020, 05:31 PM

ugh.

Just drove up too Mebane and back to drop something off and it was 41 and drizzling the whole way. Give me some heat and humidity and a popup thunderstorm any day over this.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
ugh.

Just drove up too Mebane and back to drop something off and it was 41 and drizzling the whole way. Give me some heat and humidity and a popup thunderstorm any day over this.
Wasted cold. I want it 23 and snowing

Old 12-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Well, I'd rather have that occasionally, too, but if the choice is 23 and snowing, 41 and raining, or 90 with heat and humidity and a pop up thunderstorm, I'd pick 90 every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina