Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 55,679 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live in West Milford, NJ, which is a small town in NW NJ. We are ready (Beyond) ready to leave. We like the schools here, but not the weather or the high taxes ( We pay close to 14K for .75 acres!!!) We are looking to move to North Carolina, but have not decided where exactly. We are focusing somewhere from the triangle area to the coast. The threads posted are very conflicting. Here what we are looking for;

1) affordable cost of living

2) good schools ( we have two boys, 8 going into 3rd grade, 13 going into 9th grade and one girl, 7 going into 1st grade)

3) employment opportunities. My honey is currently a general contractor, but has also worked in law enforcement. (corrections officer) I have 12 year in HR, but currently not working and would like to stay home with the kids.

4) we would like to be near a beach, or some body of water

5) warm weather...we are SICK of the snow. Fun to play in, but that is it!!

6) things to do, but we do not want to live in an urban area, we like the suburbs.

Any suggestions as to areas in North Carolina, or other states would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decocco View Post
Hello,

We currently live in West Milford, NJ, which is a small town in NW NJ. We are ready (Beyond) ready to leave. We like the schools here, but not the weather or the high taxes ( We pay close to 14K for .75 acres!!!) We are looking to move to North Carolina, but have not decided where exactly. We are focusing somewhere from the triangle area to the coast. The threads posted are very conflicting. Here what we are looking for;

1) affordable cost of living

2) good schools ( we have two boys, 8 going into 3rd grade, 13 going into 9th grade and one girl, 7 going into 1st grade)

3) employment opportunities. My honey is currently a general contractor, but has also worked in law enforcement. (corrections officer) I have 12 year in HR, but currently not working and would like to stay home with the kids.

4) we would like to be near a beach, or some body of water

5) warm weather...we are SICK of the snow. Fun to play in, but that is it!!

6) things to do, but we do not want to live in an urban area, we like the suburbs.

Any suggestions as to areas in North Carolina, or other states would be appreciated.
You have to define "affordable".

Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Being able to live on 25k -50k per year...

Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Being able to live on 25k -50k per year...
Wow, okay. How in the world do you pay 14k in taxes a year when you make only up to $50,000.???

That amount is really not very affordable for our bigger metro areas I'm afraid, so you definitely want to stay more rural. Also, it will be very hard to be close to the beach as it sounds like you would only be able to spend $150,000 at most on a home. In the southern end of the state you might want to check out places like Marshville or maybe even Albemarle. I'm not sure what to advise in the upper end of the state for affordability, but places like Kernersville (near to Greensboro) or Lewisville and Clemmons (near to Winston Salem) may be worth looking at as nice places for a family. Oh, and one of my favorite small towns is Taylorsville, though it is more toward the mountains, not the beach, it is a great place to raise a family.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:05 PM

Actually I will opefully be making about 150k on te sale of my home here, so we planned on putting alot of that as a down payment...we were researcing willmington and or the triangle area...

Old 03-31-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Actually I will opefully be making about 150k on te sale of my home here, so we planned on putting alot of that as a down payment...we were researcing willmington and or the triangle area...
Wilmington is one of the most expensive places to live in the state, so again, look to situate yourself well out of Wilmington. The triangle is a nice area, but the median income there is like $75,000 so you know the housing is going to be high.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

I was working making good money, but got cancer last year and lost my job in the process. Now I am cancer free and want to leave the rat race. My Honey hopefully will be able to make the income stated above, and we can put a nice downpayment on a house. Where are the ares you mentioned above?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I was working making good money, but got cancer last year and lost my job in the process. Now I am cancer free and want to leave the rat race. My Honey hopefully will be able to make the income stated above, and we can put a nice downpayment on a house. Where are the ares you mentioned above?
Congrats on beating Cancer!! That is just awesome and I can understand wanting to leave the rat race

Taylorsville, my favorite of all the litle towns I mentioned is kind of northwest of the city of Statesville. This is the foothills area of the state so the weather is not brutal and the terrain is very beautiful. Here is a link to the town website:

Town of Taylorsville - Taylorsville, NC

The others are all kind of in the middle of the state near Greensboro and Winston Salem.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Thanks so much! Yeah the cancer thing provided me a entire new perspective! What a wake up call.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 PM

121 posts, read 388,384 times
If you would like to consider the Triangle area, there are several towns that will have homes affordable for your income. Clayton, Wilsons Mills, Willow Springs, Creedmoor, Zebulon, Smithfield are just a few of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina