Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 91,468 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am planning on making a business trip to NC to view these towns. I am from England and have noticed on some of the City-Data blog conversations a few surprisingly anti-british comments. Although there are usually more than enough friendly folk jumping in to give a + view on us Brits. I am fully conversant with Visa requirements and have also done quite a bit of reseach on these 4 towns.

What would be really helpful to know is:

1. Are any of these towns anti-british that you know of? Can one do business here?
2. Does anyone have any useful & honest business broker contacts - for say investing circa $100-200k - can be more for 50/51% share or more in a local business.

In the UK I am regard as a senior business prodessional having sat on a the boards of a number of large organisations including a HSBC subs and PLC's. I have also set up and run my own succesful business with a UK listed PLC.

Any help, contacts, advice gratefully received - including 'keep way' if that's the message! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,078 times
Default Business Contact

Try contacting Trevor Gatty in Charlotte. He retired here from his position as HBMG's Consul General and continued on as Her Honorary Consul. Try Googling his name. It is under web.diplomat. The BABG has an active Charlotte branch.

Most of us locals feel an affection towards Limeys. If you do relocate here, keep in mind that the Colonists won our independence, contrary to the eastern-side-of-the-pond belief that the Crown had other issues to take care of and moved on from here.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Percentage of residents of English ancestry:

Hendersonville - 16.1%
Morganton - 9.7%
Hickory - 9.2%
Mooresville - 8.5%

North Carolina - 9.5%

Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick - Sussex ENGLAND View Post
Hi

I am planning on making a business trip to NC to view these towns. I am from England and have noticed on some of the City-Data blog conversations a few surprisingly anti-british comments. Although there are usually more than enough friendly folk jumping in to give a + view on us Brits. I am fully conversant with Visa requirements and have also done quite a bit of reseach on these 4 towns.

What would be really helpful to know is:

1. Are any of these towns anti-british that you know of? Can one do business here?
2. Does anyone have any useful & honest business broker contacts - for say investing circa $100-200k - can be more for 50/51% share or more in a local business.

In the UK I am regard as a senior business prodessional having sat on a the boards of a number of large organisations including a HSBC subs and PLC's. I have also set up and run my own succesful business with a UK listed PLC.

Any help, contacts, advice gratefully received - including 'keep way' if that's the message! Thanks.

Anti British comments???? I've never seen such a thing here. REALLY. Far as I know we love you Brits - and your lovely accents bowl us over. Pray tell, what has given you this incorrect impression? Can't help you with any business contacts I'm afraid, but please know you are more than welcome here!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Hickory/Morganton/Hendersonville/Mooresville

oh, and I like all 4 of these areas myself - you have picked some good spots. It will probably just come down to personal preferance after you visit as they each have a lot to offer.

Morganton is the smallest of the four and less crowded, less congested - a big plus for me personally. It is also surrounded by some very beautiful scenic areas, like the drive up hwy 181 toward the Blue Ridge Parkway

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
The area of Moganton and Lenoir has the best year around weather pattern east of California. If it does get a bit sticky in the summer get on 181 like LTM suggests and head for the cooler temps of the mountains. LTM, you ought to do 181 on a motorcycle!!! My favorite.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq1 View Post
Try contacting Trevor Gatty in Charlotte. He retired here from his position as HBMG's Consul General and continued on as Her Honorary Consul. Try Googling his name. It is under web.diplomat. The BABG has an active Charlotte branch.

Most of us locals feel an affection towards Limeys. If you do relocate here, keep in mind that the Colonists won our independence, contrary to the eastern-side-of-the-pond belief that the Crown had other issues to take care of and moved on from here.

Thank you very much .... and thanks for the history lesson... its not lost on me!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Percentage of residents of English ancestry:

Hendersonville - 16.1%
Morganton - 9.7%
Hickory - 9.2%
Mooresville - 8.5%

North Carolina - 9.5%

Thanks that's interesting. We don't have stats like that here in the UK. Should I view these articular numbers as good?!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Anti British comments???? I've never seen such a thing here. REALLY. Far as I know we love you Brits - and your lovely accents bowl us over. Pray tell, what has given you this incorrect impression? Can't help you with any business contacts I'm afraid, but please know you are more than welcome here!

Thanks you have all been very kind with these responses. It very reassuring as I have had such good relationships with Americans over here in UK! You guys always seem direct and passionate and full of purpose....to that extent I think us Brits could learn from that at times! As to where I got my impression from ....if I remember one example correctly its was on a thread to do with someone from Britain asking whether Florida or California was better. The responses went something like 'God almighty not another Brit moving over here...etc' There was a bit of a diatribe that followed.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick - Sussex ENGLAND View Post
Thanks that's interesting. We don't have stats like that here in the UK. Should I view these articular numbers as good?!
Beats me. I just find it odd that there could be some sort of anti-English sentiment in those towns you mentioned, considering the current population's English ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina