Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I am in Herndon, right next to Reston. I consider Reston expensive, and the houses are much older. I want to get away from this area, so maybe Cary isn't the next option if it is so similar to Reston.
Reston IS expensive as is all of Northern Virginia. The Triangle is cheaper and much less congested than Northern Virginia, so if that's what you want to get away from then this area may be for you. What type of area are you looking for - rural, suburban, or urban? Cary is very suburban. It's full of subdivisions, families, shopping centers, has good schools, and is safe. If you want a safe suburban area then Cary is for you. Having said that, the downtown area of Cary is developing into a more walkable area (well it's already walkable, but they are trying to build it up), so it's a bit more urbanish than the rest of Cary. However, the housing stock in downtown Cary is older, which it sounds like you are trying to get away from. I would liken the downtown area of Cary to downtown Herndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Do you prefer NC to Northern VA?
I do not, but I prefer more urban areas, and this area is a bit too suburban/rural for my liking. I love downtown DC and spending a lot of time there, and Raleigh obviously cannot compare to a bigger city. Plus I miss the mass transit and the proximity to Philly and New York where my family lives.

Having said that, it's a nice area and a good fit for a lot of people especially those looking to lower housing costs and to slow down on the rat race. I do appreciate having less traffic and not planning my outings over the time of day due to traffic. I also like the milder winters.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM

415 posts, read 370,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I do not, but I prefer more urban areas, and this area is a bit too suburban/rural for my liking. I love downtown DC and spending a lot of time there, and Raleigh obviously cannot compare to a bigger city. Plus I miss the mass transit and the proximity to Philly and New York where my family lives.

Having said that, it's a nice area and a good fit for a lot of people especially those looking to lower housing costs and to slow down on the rat race. I do appreciate having less traffic and not planning my outings over the time of day due to traffic. I also like the milder winters.
Would you say they people are more polite, and does it have young people? I find people in this area really up themselves. Just my experience.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
there are a LOT of people that go to college at UNC-Chapel, NC State, and other local universities that find jobs and stay in our area (the Triangle).

the question becomes your current income and finding out what your income would be here.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Would you say they people are more polite, and does it have young people? I find people in this area really up themselves. Just my experience.
I find people here to be less full of themselves. A common first question when you meet someone in the DC area is "what do you do?" I don't find that to be the case in the Triangle. It is more relaxed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina