Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 AM

185 posts, read 199,190 times

Advertisements

I like these kinds of post because it helps me future plan for my retirement. (I'm a planner). But that's not slated till 2045 so no telling what NC will look like by then! I've been in Greensboro since about 2010 and even though I brought a home here 3 years ago, this city just doesn't feel like home... Everyone here seems to be in Transit. At least in my age range late 30s. And this is just a stop in the road for them.. I think I'm more of a beach person but love the mountains too. But could see myself living coastal..but probably couldn't afford that area by 2045 so maybe live as close as I could within my price range..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 11:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
For me, up in the mountains toward Tennessee and Georgia. The Nantahala forest is beautiful - if sparse for shopping.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
The Boone area. Been then a handful of times and really like what I see although traffic can be a hassle at times, it has all the conveniences that we need.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Beaufort/Atlantic Beach area. I had a summer internship there back in college and loved the area.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 AM

275 posts, read 330,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
I like these kinds of post because it helps me future plan for my retirement. (I'm a planner). But that's not slated till 2045 so no telling what NC will look like by then! I've been in Greensboro since about 2010 and even though I brought a home here 3 years ago, this city just doesn't feel like home... Everyone here seems to be in Transit. At least in my age range late 30s. And this is just a stop in the road for them.. I think I'm more of a beach person but love the mountains too. But could see myself living coastal..but probably couldn't afford that area by 2045 so maybe live as close as I could within my price range..
This is unfortunate because Greensboro is were I would live easily. It has the amenities (maybe not on the Triangle's or Charlotte area's level but still really good ones), has lots of universities in the area, good mix between modern and historic, has a few museums, Lee St. is awesome, downtown is good, COL is very good, and bet of all it has by far the best flow of traffic in the state, hardly any backups anywhere.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:32 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Probably the beach, just because it's better on our allergies. We would probably move right now if it wasn't for wanting to still be close to family.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
I'm retired and very happily living in the mountains. I'm in Avery County. I LOVE IT.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
I am retired and happily living on the New River in the "coolest corner" or North Carolina --- Ashe County.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 PM

329 posts, read 250,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First of all, we do NOT want 'all Asheville has to offer', and it is not much less expensive, we want Hendersonville to be Hendersonville, not a 'suburb' of Asheville. We are getting crowded here Kyle … home prices are rising every day and many are shockingly high, yet multiple offers. Traffic during 'snowbird season' is difficult on the mountain roads; try getting to that 'nice vibrant downtown' on a weekday even. Locals are avoiding downtown especially on the weekends, and unless they need hospital services, at which point you will still wait in trafffic. Transplant buyers pay no attention to road signs, no passing signs, speed limits etc. "They" are here, so 'they' can do what 'they' want to do, the heck with rules, why do 'they' think they are privileged ? High end housing developments are popping up all over; beautiful farm land, land in the 'country' is being cut up into small lots with e.g., all homes the same color, same style; 15 ft. between them for $300K. Want an acre in a new 'development', plan to pay close to $500K, that's a half million in anyone's book.

They want new roads, more highway access, buying up acreage like it's going out of style. Well …. it is going out of style here. It's being butchered. How about 600 'townhomes' 'condos' on a former (Florida developer) going to be built in bucolic Etowah on a former gorgeous horse farm, amazing gorgeous acreage. There will be various style condos and townhomes, a restaurant!, some will be tourist oriented, some will be permanent for the 'privileged'. But you can bet your bippy many will be investment properties. Two lane road. Neighbors are moving away from it as we speak, getting out while the getting is good. There is another beautiful horse farm across the road from the above, that will be next unfortunately and that owner is from FL, raises race horses I believe. Still, the land is exceptionally beautiful and well kept on a true country road. Once these developers rape the land, they will move on to another area; many already have. Cookeville TN is another example.

The planning board(s), county commissioners, are either ignorant, myopic, stupid, or greedy. They literally can't see the forests for the trees.

Rant over. We don't need the 'advertising'.

Bingo. Cookie cutter houses I call them. Cut and paste.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 PM

329 posts, read 250,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
But that's not slated till 2045 so no telling what NC will look like by then! I've been in Greensboro since about 2010 and even though I brought a home here 3 years ago, this city just doesn't feel like home..

Greensboro and Winston Salem will be one big subdivision sprawled along 40.

Greensboro and Durham will sprawl into one big subdivision along 40. Mebane will be swallowed.

Raleigh-Durham will be one big subdivison sprawled around HWY 70 and HWY 98.

Some demographic folks are even predicting that Atlanta will link up with Charlotte - Winston Salem- Greensboro - Durham - Raleigh and complete the growth arc.

Kind of like Boston - NYC - Philly - Jersey City metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina