Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking employment information in North Carolina, hiring and interviewing process different in North Carolina than New York, hiring locals versus transplants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:08 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,293,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanlion View Post
Thanks for the information but I have a question. If my resume and phone number all say NY and I do have a masers degree and experience, why would they even call me down for an interview if they know they have a pool of local people that fit the job. I also feel like people lead you on and then the answer is no, why not be honest? And would it be polite to ask why I wasn't chosen? I thought that might be frowned upon. I have to admit I haven't always sent a thank card but I am respectful and thankful during the interview. I appreciate the tips and I will continue to try. One more question, generally speaking, will employers let applicants know they were not hired, a letter, a phone call? Thanks.
You would be bit surprised...My husband has some great recruiters and have to say if we are willing to pay for us to relocate they have no problem with interviewing him or hiring him for that matter....I guess it depends on what someone does for a living....Alot of people that are relocating from NY and NJ have alot of experience once again depending on what one does, my husband is in IT and I know he will get a job before we wind up selling the house....Try to hook up with some head hunters/recruiters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 07:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,308,151 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information but I have a question. If my resume and phone number all say NY and I do have a masers degree and experience, why would they even call me down for an interview if they know they have a pool of local people that fit the job. I also feel like people lead you on and then the answer is no, why not be honest? And would it be polite to ask why I wasn't chosen? I thought that might be frowned upon. I have to admit I haven't always sent a thank card but I am respectful and thankful during the interview. I appreciate the tips and I will continue to try. One more question, generally speaking, will employers let applicants know they were not hired, a letter, a phone call? Thanks.
In my experience, if you've been interviewed, you're generally notified if you do not get the position; not all applicants for a position are interviewed. Have you considered going into education? Go to the NC state website under education - there may be some employment items of interest there.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,308,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
.... my husband is in IT and I know he will get a job before we wind up selling the house....
How do you know this? I am all for positive attitudes, but be realistic. Alot of people are already here and looking for work in IT.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:29 PM

233 posts, read 904,424 times
Default I Understand....

Quote:

I have had over 20 interviews, prior to relocating and up through my couple of months living in Charlotte. I started to believe maybe it was my appearance and/or personality. I know all the interviewing rules as far as dress and presentation, but I started to feel like maybe some managers felt like I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the office employees. I don't know, but what I do know is that I put out a lot of energy, and the rewards are now coming in slowly.

I would send a Thank You reply, because this would give you another opportunity to market yourself based on what was discussed in the interview.

I have had interviews go well, and not receive a reply of acceptance/rejection.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
How do you know this? I am all for positive attitudes, but be realistic. Alot of people are already here and looking for work in IT.
My husband has connections in the industry and quiet a few people in the charlotte market area as too he already has quiet a few interviews, and I know with his skills it wont be a problem..and my house is valued at 660k here in NJ and right now real estate is horrible and houses have come down over 50k and more and are sitting..so fact remains that my house wont sell that quickly even though it is beautiful and only 6 yrs old than opposed to my hubby not being able to get a job...

Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
I have had over 20 interviews, prior to relocating and up through my couple of months living in Charlotte. I started to believe maybe it was my appearance and/or personality. I know all the interviewing rules as far as dress and presentation, but I started to feel like maybe some managers felt like I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the office employees. I don't know, but what I do know is that I put out a lot of energy, and the rewards are now coming in slowly.

I would send a Thank You reply, because this would give you another opportunity to market yourself based on what was discussed in the interview.

I have had interviews go well, and not receive a reply of acceptance/rejection.
I must say companies are like that here too u go on all these interviews and they dont even let you know yeah or nay either way and the recruiters here well they are just as bad (some of them)...dont want to offend anyone

Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM

14 posts, read 42,967 times
Default why Nc vs 49 other states, other job options, hiring practices

I selected NC because of the warmer weather, I hate the cold. Also, my family on both my mom and dad's side live in NC, SC, MD, GA. My husband has family in NC and MS. my dad is moving to SC next month. We want to be close to our families/roots and we want a slower more relaxed pace of life that does not revolve around a commercial living experience. Also, we are surrounded by our generation of younger and same age relatives here in NY and they are just not where we are in terms of beliefs about child rearing and how important it is to the development of your child and society. We have two young boys and we want to give them a better life with good influences and maybe a house someday, which is not going to happen here in NY. I left my last job as a Child Protective Service worker so I could stay home for a couple of years to raise my children and becasue my oldest had a speech delay which required services that involved my participation which made it impossible for both of us to work. Now, five years after I got my Masters and we finally decided, we'll never have the money let's just follow our hearts, well, we can't do that now and I know this can't be the end of my future in Social work. I must admit i have tried three jobs since I left grad school but even more expereince for employers. I believe in God and so I trust his direction for my life. It's just crazy to me because I am so nervous when I prepare for an interview and try so hard not to offend anyone and to make sure my locs are neat and I wear the power suit all of that and then these places are so unprofessional and unkind as to not even say yay or nay or they lead me on, calling references and telling me another week, call me on Friday, all this stuff. why? You see in NY you take a test and then when your grade comes up, the job is yours if you still wnat it. The interview is really just a sit down where they tell you how bad the job is in terms of flaws. I know I am qualified, I've done it before, and I am truly a great worker, I do the job well and quickly, who doesn't want that in a worker. Well, they don't but, I have to make a decision becasue my lease is up the end of feb 07. so i either move to SC with family and hope I'll get a job in NC sooner than later to support my family or I just stay in NY and sign another lease. I thought about getting into education but I couldn't because of my degress are in sociology and social work and I was told that those are not degress I can use for lateral entry into the school system. Teaching would have been my next choice after social work. Honestly, I feel a bit like wasted goods not being able to help people in a way which I know I can and that I know is needed. And not just because of education but because of life experience. My husband and I have a big decision to make and we have two little boys depending on us. I really do love NC and the possibilities it holds for my family but I realize that life doesn't always work out the way you want it to. I learned that when I was 23. six years later you'd think it would be engrained. well, thanks for all the info, I will try all of it and I have gotten an NC address to use on my resume but I will not lie and say I am there because I don't want to start anything with a lie. But at this point between all the 3-5 day road trips to NC i feel as though I am living between the two states. But good luck to all trying to relocate and adjust I will focus on being content with what life is for now and I will keep trying but it just can't be the focus of my life like it has ben since July. If it's meant to be it'll be. Oh and this may be a stupid question but what is IT? I see people use it alot of the site and have no idea what it is. Okay thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM

34 posts, read 158,963 times
To: Lehmanlion (1) Don't be in a hurry to move until you are really ready to, have a job line up and $$ on the side to help you when needed. Go sign another lease if you have to because by law, you can break it for good cause and in your case it would be " to move out of state" (2) When an interviewer does contact you after seeing your resume w/ a NC address on it, of course let them know you are in NY. And also that you won't be able to move down until you have a job. Just like my girlfriend did when she moved from nj to atlanta. AND she was having a house being built there so she HAD TO GET A JOB IN ATL. or she would have lost out on the house. Social work is where you want to stay then stick with it. Now to keep your options open I would see if there are other industries that your skills can transfer into. There has to be. For example ...... a school social worker. Don't give on moving to NC. Go see that movie with Will Smith....don't give up on your dreams. You might just have to take another route to reach them. IT is information techn. See you down in NC

Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 PM

thank you for the kind words terry lyn. i won't give up but i am taking this time to think. we have money saved to move but not for cobra so i just thought wow, leaving means no health insurance indefinetly. that's not good. so i think we may just move to a new town for now and then keep looking. i was not aware you can break a lease for that reason. that is good to know and look into, thanks. yeah, i just feel having a job is best because we have kids to provide for and my husband works for the state right now and to give that up for nothing is not a good idea for me. i do want to see that will smith movie but see i got the message from the previews that i should go to sc and stay with family cause he took a job with no money and $21 in the bank with a kid to feed but, i'll just see the message as don't give it, everything in it's own time, and hey i still got two months before i sign another lease and i'm looking.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:11 PM

ok, i have another question. I know I am tip toeing in the interviews because i don't want to offend the interviewers, youknow north vs south, there are differences in how people react to one another. Fore example, one of the interviewers made a joke about mix up with words the other interviewer made when he asked the question. she laughed, he smiled, i giggled lightly. was that okay? Can i be personable or should i be totally professional and serious? Also, should i refer to people as mam and sir or just mr. so and so? Any info would be appreciated. this is new for me, I have gotten almost every job i ever interviewed for and when i did not it was because someone got higher than me on the test, I could accept that. This is hard, rejection, over and over esp. when i know i am able. Funny, my mom and dad probably faced the same thing when they left sc to start over in ny. well, i have three applications out, i usually get an interview and I drive down and spend, spend, spend, and miss work, all that, i just can't seem to get the job. LOL!!! well, when whenever i do get THE call, it will be that much more exciting and rewarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina