Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakermace View Post
Everyone is talking me out of the ocean, one of my true loves. If I have to drive an hour or two to the ocean, I'm starting to grasp that possibility. I guess it is a little shorter than my current 15 hr drive

As far as inland lakes/rivers go, does anyone know which allow jet-skis, wave runners, and/or motorboats?
Lakermace, I like Lake Wylie, which straddles the NC/SC border in south Charlotte. It's apparently a bass fisherman's dream also. Everyone will tell you how awesome Lake Norman is, but it has just gotten way too crowed for my tastes.

Now, going more toward Asheville (you may have seen another post of mine about this) is Lake James. It is a BEAUTIFUL lake with moutain backdrops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 81,217 times
It Scares Me That How Many People Are Trying To Move To North Carolina. It Once Was Such A Beautiful State I'll Be Said To See It Go......

Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 23,331 times
It'll be ok, Serene Soul, I'm a beautiful person so you won't lose much by adding me

Old 12-15-2006, 06:12 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Don't people in the Wilmington area have computers? The internet? I haven't heard from anyone there yet

Also, as far as activities go, my girlfriend and I are pretty active in intramural sports leagues around town now. Within the past year, we've participated in recreational softball, flag-football, volleyball, and soccer leagues. I know a lot of towns offer different recreational leagues through their city & state parks. Is this the same there? Anyone have any first-hand experience in any of these activities/leagues? Thanks again.
Very active, competitive adult softball leagues and semi-pro soccer and adult soccer leagues, excellent university and community college. Job market tight, real estate - depends where you want to go. Visiting here on vacation is vastly different than uprooting yourself and coming to a place where you aren't sure of job possibilities or where to look. Sorry to be a nudge.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM

91 posts, read 309,132 times
Smile relocating

I stumbled upon this formum today ( God only know how, I was searching for walmarts local hours! ha)
Anyway, had to respond, I was born & raised in NC, near Ashville, we kept moving futher East and now live in the Cary Area. We own property with our Son at Carolina Beach..I would highly recommend you look into Cary, RTP (Research Triangle Park) has wonderful job opps for you, you are 2 hours form the beach and 2 from the mountains. Our area is the best place to enjoy life and raise a family. Cary has become know as C containment A Area for R relocated Y yankees Ha! we southerners say it with love..most of the time. Cary's cleanliness and well-planned growth has made us evolve into a large, respected community .

The downtown area of Raleigh is changing rapidly, turning into an upscale urban community. Howerver if you love the beach..look into any of our wonderful small towns, just dont expect the urban lifstyle there. I am a Realtor in our area , and love talking about it! Sports are great in NC we have soccer, baseball, football, and our beloved ACC basketball! I have moved families from Ohio, NY, NJ, Arizonia, and from all of the world to our little slice of heaven..So come on down ..you will love it.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:04 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Default Go Coastal!

Lakermace,
Then let me talk you back in to the ocean!! Look at it this way-The Triangle & Triad areas have made the NC Coast their number one vacation destination and their number one relocation destination-Not the other way around!!
Kinda of tells you something, huh!!
My profession is real estate, It is my second profession. I retired from the television/film industry. I was living in NYC when I had a film to work on along the the NC coast.
In a nutshell-I never went back.
If you look in my profile you'll see my web site listed. It is jammed packed with info about the NC coast, industry and relocating.
Let me know if I can be of assistance to you-Whether you go coastal or not!!!
Take Care,
Bill

Old 12-16-2006, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,959 times
Red face Me 2

Well, once again all roads would seem to lead to Charlotte I know it's not coastal, but it is an easy drive to the mountains and beautiful areas for hiking, camping and canoeing. And for the other activities you mentioned, again, Charlotte is the place. My husband is big on volleyball and tennis and plays on several teams, one of which is a city league. There is also a huge adult softball league, all of which are great ways to meet people. I'm telling you, Charlotte is where it's happening

Hi LoveMtns... Im in NJ and have been researching as well ,,,almost a yr now. I think I have it narowed down to Huntersville. Im curious about crime rates, I work in NYC so of course we know how bad that is. But my corner of NJ isnt bad. The realtor I speak to came from NJ 10 yrs ago and Huntersville is where he thinks Id like the best. KUDOS to Thread..getting out of the windy city. Me I want to kiss the Big apple goodbye in a yr or so. All the best,,,,,,

Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 17,222 times
Having moved to NC (Southport) three years ago from NW Indiana, I can truthfully tell you that you should be moving to the area around Huntersville. My husband and I stayed nine months with our daughter in Huntersville and I feel it is an up and coming community for the younger people. We moved to Southport for a relaxing retirement and we found it here. The Charlotte/Lake Norman area seems to be more of a hustling, bustling area than the coastal areas. Also, it is in the center of the state and almost a short distance away from any kind of sport or entertainment you require. The mountains are great but more like Chicago in the weather. The coast is warmer and more like a Florida weather. The mountains are serene and cool, the coast is relaxing and warm. As for the work force, your best bet would be the Charlotte area since Charlotte is the banking center of the world.
I love the coast but as I stated, I came here to have a very restful and relaxing retirement. Maybe you could live in the Charlotte area and purchase a place on the coast, too???

Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:

Also, as far as activities go, my girlfriend and I are pretty active in intramural sports leagues around town now. Within the past year, we've participated in recreational softball, flag-football, volleyball, and soccer leagues. I know a lot of towns offer different recreational leagues through their city & state parks. Is this the same there? Anyone have any first-hand experience in any of these activities/leagues? Thanks again.
Hey there Lakermace - I grew up near the ocean...so I knew when it was time to move I was going to need some form of water close by. We ended up moving to Tega Cay, SC (off of Lake Wylie). We are just across the stateline (outside of Charlotte, NC). We love it hear and having the lake right down the street is wonderful (if I was rich...I'd be on the lake). We have alot of sport activities here as well (including adult softball and flag football). FYI....I can be in Charleston, SC in 3 hours and Myrtle Beach, SC in 3 1/2 hours.

Best of luck to you!

www.tegacaysc.org
www.tegacayrec.com/Sports.html
www.tegacayrec.com/index.html

Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Default Reply from Wilmington

Relocated here from Cleveland and I am in Wilmington so, I believe I am most qualified here! :0) NC is where it is at by far. You need to look @ Raleigh, Charlotte, or Wilmington. I researched for a long time before I chose Wilmington and here is why; more sunshine=less depressed people=more thank yous and employment! The average age here is 35. Property values are on the jump in the surrounding counties. Hurricanes are not as often (the hard hitting ones anyway). Coming from Chicago, you will love the water down here and the nice mix of people(I have met a ton of people from the north!). Crime is just at the level to remind you your alive and the food choices are fantastic! Downtown Wilmington has old southern charm along with cool and trendy nightlife!

What else do you want to know???? Research Pender and Brunswick counties for housing. Wilmington is not cheap and neither will those 2 counties be in 5 years (you will make $$$ on your property!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina