Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM

10 posts, read 23,331 times

Advertisements

First off, I want to say hello to all the posters and that this site is just what I need. I'll start by sharing my story and then I'll have a few questions. And please, anything else you'd like to add, I thank you in advance.

I first ventured to NC on a family vacation about 15 years ago when my parents took my brother and I to Ocean Isle Beach. I fell in love with the place then and the Carolina Coast is still my favorite destination. I've definitely done some traveling since (east coast, west coast, mountains, international, etc) and yet the area that always stands above the rest is the Wilmington area.

Fast forwarding to now, I'm a professional and have been living in Chicago for the past 4 years. Every time my apartment lease is up, I'm a mess because half of me says toss it all away and just head on down while the other half (that has gotten the best of me each time) has me signing another lease. My girlfriend and I are very serious and she knows my asperations to start our lives in NC and she's about 85% on-board. We took a vacation to Asheville and the coast this past summer and extremely enjoyed it. Now, this is where I need some help.

Like I said, she's about 85% on-board, but I may need a little help with the other 15%. She's all for going to NC because she loved it just as much as I have, it's just where do we look? Asheville was fun, but not for us. Closer to the coast would work best, or at least a nice inland lake. The east coast town she's most familiar with and adores is Norfolk, VA, so maybe some similar cities. I've looked at Wilmington, Southport, Boiling Spring Lakes, Shallotte, etc. I only know the beach-stuff but not the exact life-style. We're in our late 20s, no children. She's an engineer (mechanical) and I'm in creative marketing (web & print). As far as employment situations, are certain areas thriving and others declining. It's so tough to tell from reading demographic reports, I'd much rather talk to you all who live there already. Then please, any other "living in NC" tidbits you'd like to share about relocating or even if you've lived there forever and really enjoy a certain restaurant, please let us know.

Any advice, answers, and even questions to/about us are extremely welcome. I've been reading other posts on this forum all afternoon and thought I'd take part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
You're doing the right thing asking questions before making a decision, and visiting a few areas will help, too. I'll put in a plug for the Raleigh area!

My own family relocated here 3 years ago following my husband's engineering job in RTP. We didn't come by choice, but we definitely aren't leaving. There is a ton to do here, the downtown area is thriving and growing, there are great parks and recreation facilities, lakes, hiking trails... Check out the Raleigh Metro Area section of the forum for some good browsing.

Good luck in your transition!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,744 times
You're not going to find a Norfolk sized town in East NC. East NC was just a few years ago a very isolated agricultural area; many many parts of East NC still are. Wilmington is going to be the most urban feeling coastal community.

Also, East NC is essentially economically depressed. Engineering jobs are out there but not under every rock so to speak.

Finally, there are quite a few people living in NE NC who commute to...Norfolk Va.! The Outer Banks NC beaches and Va. Beach, Va. are just a short drive away. Check a map.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
I live in the Charlotte area and love it. Plan on never leaving.

Lots of reacreational assets like the U.S. National Whitewater Center, the largest, most advanced in the world (olympic team trains here, but anyone can enjoy the facilities/property). Can adjust rapids to any skill level. Largest climbing wall in the nation. Miles of biking/hiking trails. Lake Norman and Lake Wylie for water recreation. Two stunning nature preserves (Reedy Creek ((850 acres & in Charlotte's city limits)) and Latta Plantation (1000+ acres). Parks and greenways all around the metro. Major theme park, Paramount's Carowinds. Very clean and green. This is just a few of many things to do.

One of the strongest economies in the nation. Very resonable cost of living. One of the largest airports in the nation. Lots of sun. Awesome 4-season climate without the extremes. 3.5 hours from the beach, 2 from the mountains.

The wonderful thing about NC is there are so many great areas from with to choose. They're all very good and have their merits, but the Charlotte metro area is my favorite. If you want any specific info, just pm me. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:24 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,588 times
Default Find out what it is like here..

by applying for some jobs. You can do Monster or the state employment people or other. This way you may get some paid interview trips or at least the trip would be tax deductible. You are both most likely to find jobs in Raleigh or Charlotte, with Raleigh closer to the beach and Charlotte closer to the mountains. Either way, many of us rent houses for a weekend or week at a time to enjoy those places. If you do find a job in Wilmington, you can go to the beach after work and on weekends, even if you do not live on the beach as there are public accesses all over. There are beaches right in town and all up and down the very extensive coastline. I have lived in Raleigh for 12 years and came from New Orleans. N.O. was a lot of fun and I love a big city, but I really love it here, too, and expect to stay. It is a cool little town and quite a phenomenon. We are growing like crazy, but most people learn how to handle the growth and actually enjoy it. We are all happy when a nice new company or restaurant moves into town. I do not know why, but people who are not happy are the ones who always speak out. That's true for ANY topic or situation. Happy people are out doing their thing, not complaining. I am only on this forum to find out what people think and share some helpful hints with newcomers. The vast majority of people who move here love it and stay. It is so easy to make friends and get into the swing of things here. Just be sure you come with a good attitude and you'll find in short order that it's a fun place to be. You'll have plenty of company because we have new people from all over the world. Some helpful hints: 1) Wave and smile at people in the neighborhoods, even if you do not know them. 2) Let people in when in traffic and wave at someone who does it for you, which they almost always do 3) DO NOT, under any circumstances, say it out loud if you do not like the North Carolina style of barbeque. It's a touchy subject everywhere in the state. Actually, it's wise to keep words like "WE did it this way " or "WE did this or that" out of your vocabulary anywhere you move. It's like going to a party and then telling everyone there how much better you dressed than they are. It's rude and no one anywhere will apppreciate it. Embrace the differences!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM

This thread is really helping out, thanks so far to everyone posting. To answer a few posts then ask a few more questions...

I've seen RTP listed a few times, I'm assuming that's the abbreviation for the Triangle? Another question about the Triangle area - I know of the large schools in that area, does that consider the Triangle a "college town?" And when I phrase it that way, the population dies significantly when school is not in session. And more importantly - do companies hire local college grads (Duke, UNC, NCST, Wake, etc) before taking outsiders first?

I have a few friends that have relocated to Charlotte within the past year, one following a job and the other following family. They both struggled at first but now I believe they really like it. I've only been to Charlotte once and that was 15 years ago and for one day. I should definitely visit those relocated friends and investigate for myself.

FriendNC, we actually love the kayaking/canoeing. When we were in Asheville, that's what we did and loved it. We spent a day on the French Broad River and had a blast. We just went canoeing in Belize last month and the French Broad was far nicer. Are these types of water sports all throughout NC? I guess I should also add I'm a huge baseball fan so the Carolina teams are another draw for me to head on down

And don't worry, HouseLady, I promise not to be a "Negative Nancy." I know exactly the people you're talking about. I went to a college on the west side of Michigan and it was filled with a bunch of students on the east side (Detroit area) that had the wrong attitude and "if things were done their way, it would be much better." I won't bring that to your state, I promise.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakermace View Post
This thread is really helping out, thanks so far to everyone posting. To answer a few posts then ask a few more questions...

I've seen RTP listed a few times, I'm assuming that's the abbreviation for the Triangle? Another question about the Triangle area - I know of the large schools in that area, does that consider the Triangle a "college town?" And when I phrase it that way, the population dies significantly when school is not in session. And more importantly - do companies hire local college grads (Duke, UNC, NCST, Wake, etc) before taking outsiders first?

I have a few friends that have relocated to Charlotte within the past year, one following a job and the other following family. They both struggled at first but now I believe they really like it. I've only been to Charlotte once and that was 15 years ago and for one day. I should definitely visit those relocated friends and investigate for myself.

FriendNC, we actually love the kayaking/canoeing. When we were in Asheville, that's what we did and loved it. We spent a day on the French Broad River and had a blast. We just went canoeing in Belize last month and the French Broad was far nicer. Are these types of water sports all throughout NC? I guess I should also add I'm a huge baseball fan so the Carolina teams are another draw for me to head on down

And don't worry, HouseLady, I promise not to be a "Negative Nancy." I know exactly the people you're talking about. I went to a college on the west side of Michigan and it was filled with a bunch of students on the east side (Detroit area) that had the wrong attitude and "if things were done their way, it would be much better." I won't bring that to your state, I promise.
RTP stands for Research Triangle Park located in an area that makes up a triangular shape if you draw lines from Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. It is actually the largest research park in the world. The amount of research and development coming out of that area is amazing. Chapel Hill is a college town and very expensive to buy into. While Raleigh and Durham both have major colleges in them they are not seen exclusively as "college towns".

If you love kayaking and canoeing, NC is the place for you! The new Whitewater Rafting Center in Charlotte is totally amazing. And there are even prettier places than the French Broad to canoe. Wait till you visit the NC section of the New River (known for its scary class IV and V rapids up in West Virginia) and the Nantahala in western NC Also, look into kayaking at Wilson Creek Gorge for sure.

Welcome to NC, hope you love it here as much as I do

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Don't people in the Wilmington area have computers? The internet? I haven't heard from anyone there yet

Also, as far as activities go, my girlfriend and I are pretty active in intramural sports leagues around town now. Within the past year, we've participated in recreational softball, flag-football, volleyball, and soccer leagues. I know a lot of towns offer different recreational leagues through their city & state parks. Is this the same there? Anyone have any first-hand experience in any of these activities/leagues? Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakermace View Post
Don't people in the Wilmington area have computers? The internet? I haven't heard from anyone there yet

Also, as far as activities go, my girlfriend and I are pretty active in intramural sports leagues around town now. Within the past year, we've participated in recreational softball, flag-football, volleyball, and soccer leagues. I know a lot of towns offer different recreational leagues through their city & state parks. Is this the same there? Anyone have any first-hand experience in any of these activities/leagues? Thanks again.

Well, once again all roads would seem to lead to Charlotte I know it's not coastal, but it is an easy drive to the mountains and beautiful areas for hiking, camping and canoeing. And for the other activities you mentioned, again, Charlotte is the place. My husband is big on volleyball and tennis and plays on several teams, one of which is a city league. There is also a huge adult softball league, all of which are great ways to meet people. I'm telling you, Charlotte is where it's happening

Old 12-15-2006, 08:52 AM

Everyone is talking me out of the ocean, one of my true loves. If I have to drive an hour or two to the ocean, I'm starting to grasp that possibility. I guess it is a little shorter than my current 15 hr drive

As far as inland lakes/rivers go, does anyone know which allow jet-skis, wave runners, and/or motorboats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina