Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:15 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times

Advertisements

Republicans Jim Martin and Pat McCrory joined Democrats Jim Hunt, Mike Easley and Bev Perdue yesterday in speaking out against two of the six amendments proposed by the Republican-dominated General Assembly that are planned to be on the November ballot. Current Gov. Roy Cooper's administration has sued to keep the two targeted amendments off the ballot this November, uniting the current and former governors on the matter that would shift gubernatorial powers to the state legislature.

One amendment would shift much of the power to fill judicial vacancies from the governor, who has wide latitude now to pick judges. Instead, if voters approve the proposed amendment, the legislature would pick two finalists for each open seat on the bench, and the governor would have to pick one of those two.

The other amendment sets up a new bipartisan state board of elections appointed by the General Assembly, and it also asserts that the legislature has the power to appoint members to hundreds of boards and commissions currently handled by the executive branch.

https://www.wral.com/five-former-nc-...ents/17760300/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Thanks for sharing this news item and a summary of it, but what's your opinion of it?

My initial impression is that I'd be very skeptical of trusting the current legislators when it comes to monkeying around with the constitutional separation of powers and I'm leery of their ulterior motives.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thanks for sharing this news item and a summary of it, but what's your opinion of it?

My initial impression is that I'd be very skeptical of trusting the current legislators when it comes to monkeying around with the constitutional separation of powers and I'm leery of their ulterior motives.
Totally agree. I'm voting no against all the amendments. It's just a power grab for the Republicans in the General Assembly who want to increase turnout on their side this year without having much to show for their work and limit what the governor can do in office. Hastily drawn and poorly written (the other four besides the two here are facing court challenges), it's state politics at its most cynical. At least for now, since we keep on seeming to go downhill further every time I think we've hit rock bottom.

I'm cautiously optimistic we can defeat all of these amendments and at least end the Republican supermajority come November, especially given the missteps of the current chief executive. But we won't know for sure until then.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Pat has more faces than Mt. Rushmore.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...r-power-232758

Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM

It's very interesting to see Governors who were pretty divergent in their views and the way they did things come together.

Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic but it makes me miss the political era when Governors Martin and Hunt were in office and their relationship with the legislative branch was very different. While the very nature of those roles means they aren't exempt from political battles between the branches of government, it didn't seem to have the level of gridlock and toxicity that exists today.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's very interesting to see Governors who were pretty divergent in their views and the way they did things come together.

Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic but it makes me miss the political era when Governors Martin and Hunt were in office and their relationship with the legislative branch was very different. While the very nature of those roles means they aren't exempt from political battles between the branches of government, it didn't seem to have the level of gridlock and toxicity that exists today.
I agree but the thing that gets me about Pat joining the group is that he had no problem supporting the GA when they were scrambling to limit Cooper’s power before he even took office.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
North Carolina already had a system where the Governor is all but toothless. If these amendments pass as is, they might as well make the state bird the Governor!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I agree but the thing that gets me about Pat joining the group is that he had no problem supporting the GA when they were scrambling to limit Cooper’s power before he even took office.
I didn't agree with McCrory at all when he did that. I think it was perfectly good for him to join with the other four past Governors on the opposition to the legislator's action this time around, but your point is well taken. It's better to have more consistency in holding stedfast to the due process system and the way the separation of powers are set up, not just when it suits a political motive.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Good ol’ Dallas Outhouse never disappoints.

https://www.wral.com/impeachment-of-...says/17776194/

Old 08-17-2018, 05:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Good ol’ Dallas Outhouse never disappoints.

https://www.wral.com/impeachment-of-...says/17776194/
Every time I think things can't get worse.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina