Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 PM

39 posts, read 63,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As a family, we have vacationed in North Carolina for years in our travel trailer and absolutely love it there. Camping, hiking, fishing, and pretty much anything outdoors. Living in Florida, we are constantly escaping the endless summers. We started thinking realistically about moving there once our son gets ready to begin high school in a few years. We've heard good things about Greensboro and other areas near the Triad. I have had several friends and business contacts that have relocated to Charlotte. The wife works in medical as a nurse case manager and I have been a college administrator for years. We were hoping for somewhere with a little better pay than Tampa with comparable cost of living, easy access to the mountains, less traffic than Tampa, and nice people. From what I gather, living near the Triad or Triangle would be good locations for us both due to medical and college careers. We are also of course looking at locations that have the best school districts. From what I've seen, it appears Raleigh and Charlotte have high rated schools. I've heard good about Greensboro too, but they don't seem as highly rated.

We currently live about 45 minutes from Tampa which gives us access to the airport, restaurants, theme parks, and more without having to live in the city. Something similar would probably be ideal, as we prefer to work in the city and live in country. We do plan on traveling up to spend time at these locations this year to get a feel for everything, but wanted some general advice or recommendations for areas we should target. I appreciate any feedback!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Sounds like you've already focused on the areas with the most potential...The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill),the Triad and Charlotte. All have some good schools, lots of medical jobs and lots of colleges. The Triangle has the largest and most prestigious colleges, Charlotte has the most amenities and a hub airport, and the Triad has the best cost of living and the best traffic situation. They all have pluses and minuses...it comes down to where you can find jobs and exactly what your priorities are.

One issue you'll have is that in general, the more rural areas surrounding the cities have lower rated schools. One exception is Union County, adjacent to Charlotte, although it more suburban than rural.

Oak Ridge, just outside Greensboro has good schools and a potentially rural lifestyle. Same for the Pfafftown/Vienna area, near Winston-Salem.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
The wife works in medical as a nurse case manager and I have been a college administrator for years.
...but wanted some general advice or recommendations for areas we should target.
That's the second level question requiring you to have the job situation squared away first.

So do that. Find at least one good job between you to move on which really shouldn't be
too much of a problem for two youngish professionals and come on up. But RENT for the first while
as you secure the second job. And possibly change that first job?

Poke around, make some friends, figure out the roads and commute issues, then look to buy.
Use your own direct and extended experience of the area to make your decisions on.

As to COL comparisons... Bankrate is as good as it gets. Link

Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

One issue you'll have is that in general, the more rural areas surrounding the cities have lower rated schools. One exception is Union County, adjacent to Charlotte, although it more suburban than rural.
It is very similar in the Tampa area with regard to school districts. Further removed from urban areas equals less taxes equals lesser schools.

I appreciate the input on areas to consider. I'll look into those that you mentioned.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's the second level question requiring you to have the job situation squared away first.

So do that. Find at least one good job between you to move on which really shouldn't be
too much of a problem for two youngish professionals and come on up. But RENT for the first while
as you secure the second job. And possibly change that first job?

Poke around, make some friends, figure out the roads and commute issues, then look to buy.
Use your own direct and extended experience of the area to make your decisions on.

As to COL comparisons... Bankrate is as good as it gets. Link
There really would be no way to know which area would be perfect without living there for a little bit like you mention. I also have a business I own that is related to college prep/advising for families, so I can realistically do that from anywhere. Would it strategically make more sense to be near an area with great colleges though.. Yes.

I'd be curious as to people's perspectives on traffic in Charlotte or Raleigh compared with Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina