Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 PM

157 posts, read 1,302,977 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Florida to NC. Tired of hurricanes, insane insurance costs, wacky real estate tax system and perpetual summer.

We have no real rstrictions on where we can go in NC although we would like a lake or riverfront location. We would like a peaceful and restful environment.

If you could live anywhere in NC where would it be and why.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM

218 posts, read 253,570 times
Lake life is for you! Lake Norman is popular and devloped, but Lake Wylie is a bit more relaxed/peaceful. Lake Wylie is right on the border, so you have the possibility of actually living in SC if you find something on the wrong side of the lake I must disclose that I'm biased to my region of NC, so there are obviously other lakes.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
We are moving from Florida to NC. Tired of hurricanes, insane insurance costs, wacky real estate tax system and perpetual summer.

We have no real rstrictions on where we can go in NC although we would like a lake or riverfront location. We would like a peaceful and restful environment.

If you could live anywhere in NC where would it be and why.

Thank you.

If I could live anywhere it would be on Lake James near Morganton (40 miles from Asheville). The lake is beautiful and clear with a backdrop of mountains. The development is being controlled so this area is not ever going to be as crazy as things have gotten on Lake Norman. You should just google it and look for some pics - it is so peaceful and beautiful.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Lake Norman........too crowded and upscale. Besides, one of these days they are going to widen 77 and it'll be a nightmare. Lake James is beautiful. I agree with LM but it is very rural. How about a nice compromise? Take a look at Lake Hickory on the Catawba River near Hickory. I like it because it has one of the best year around weather patterns you'll find anywhere. Four seasons none extreme. Wanna see some snow? Jump in the car, run up 321 and see it. Gets a little warm in the summer but nothing like Florida. You are one hour from Charlotte Airport via 321 and I-85.
I like Hickory. It has everything you need unless five star dining is a must without being too big or congested.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I would live in Maggie Valley, I think it is so beautiful and close the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 PM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
I also vote for Lake James, particularly the McDowell County side. It is rural but still close to shopping and dining (if Wal-Mart and the BBQ Hut suit you). Asheville is only 30-odd miles away and Charlotte is 2 hours or so. There's no more beautiful place around IMHO.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
I live in Concord and love it. Don't plan on ever leaving. Great schools, great home prices, safe, beautiful 4-season climate, great shopping/restaurants, and close to everything the Charlotte area has to offer.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
I also vote for Lake James, particularly the McDowell County side. It is rural but still close to shopping and dining (if Wal-Mart and the BBQ Hut suit you). Asheville is only 30-odd miles away and Charlotte is 2 hours or so. There's no more beautiful place around IMHO.
You said it Though if you didn't have to live on the water my next vote would be for Chimney Rock, in particular up in the mountains looking down at Lake Lure - ahhh, so relaxing just thinking about it!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I live in Concord and love it. Don't plan on ever leaving. Great schools, great home prices, safe, beautiful 4-season climate, great shopping/restaurants, and close to everything the Charlotte area has to offer.
Okay Friend you're starting to sound like a broken record LOL!! Surely there must be SOMETHING about Concord you don't like! Seriously, the poster want peace and quiet on the water

Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
I'd choose Carrboro. You'd never need a car, you can walk or bike anywhere. Tons of great shops, galleries, restaurants, and so forth. Very friendly people. Good proximity to larger cities (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, et al). Feels like an old-fashioned small town atmosphere, while being very modern and contemporary at the same time. A very tight-knit community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina