Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 PM

505 posts, read 2,541,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Are there any riverfront communities in NC worth having a look at?

Thank you.
New Bern is as riverfront as you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,617 times
As I suggested before check out the Lake Hickory section on the Catawba River near Hickory.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Lake Norman........too crowded and upscale. Besides, one of these days they are going to widen 77 and it'll be a nightmare. Lake James is beautiful. I agree with LM but it is very rural. How about a nice compromise? Take a look at Lake Hickory on the Catawba River near Hickory. I like it because it has one of the best year around weather patterns you'll find anywhere. Four seasons none extreme. Wanna see some snow? Jump in the car, run up 321 and see it. Gets a little warm in the summer but nothing like Florida. You are one hour from Charlotte Airport via 321 and I-85.
I like Hickory. It has everything you need unless five star dining is a must without being too big or congested.
Completely agree. People seem to think that there are only certain areas of NC and they all move to them.

Lake Norman is over-built. The lake is real nice on hot summer days, but everyone else knows it too. Reminds me of a crowded amusement park during the summer.

Road traffic is terrible.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
I am always amused when I note some poster who states they are ""moving from ____ to NC" but they don't know where they're moving to and ask for others' opinions. If you don't know anything about my state in order to make an intelligent choice of where to live, why do you think THIS is the place to be?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 AM

157 posts, read 1,302,912 times
Uh, I know plenty about NC, been there many times. Yes we are moving there but have an open mind regarding location at this point. We have zeroed in on a couple of areas but don't want to overlook other good possibilities too. We value other opinions, thus the question "moving from ___.

After all the good answers to our question here we have learned that there are some additional great areas that we were unaware of and will certainly check them out.

Thanks to all who have responded with the great ideas thus far, keep them coming, others will benefit from this thread too.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 AM

94 posts, read 345,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Uh, I know plenty about NC, been there many times. Yes we are moving there but have an open mind regarding location at this point. We have zeroed in on a couple of areas but don't want to overlook other good possibilities too. We value other opinions, thus the question "moving from ___.

After all the good answers to our question here we have learned that there are some additional great areas that we were unaware of and will certainly check them out.

Thanks to all who have responded with the great ideas thus far, keep them coming, others will benefit from this thread too.

Good job, itsme2. Glad to see you're doing your homework (no pun intended ). That's what these boards are for.

I'm glad you brought this up because I get a feeling that alot of folks seem apprehensive about looking outside the metro areas. The bottom line is there is an abundance of transplants all over the state now, so I promise you will not feel like ~the lone yankee~ if you decide on an alternate location. My city (Burlington) alone has transplants galore.

Here are just a few cities that are worth checking into:

Jamestown - nice, quite town near G'boro
Kernersville - has an excellent Catholic school
Gibsonville - community-oriented, quaint downtown area
Elon - small, pristine college town with good schools
Whitsett - rural area with nice subdivisions, convenient to G'boro
Burlington - growing mid-sized city between Greensboro & Chapel Hill
Graham - same as Gibsonville but larger
Summerfield - must be ok, Chris Daughtry just moved there
Mebane - really growing! Nice, quite, clean, quaint downtown

These cities are ideal for retirees or families with children. Commuting to Greenboro or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is quick and easy from any of these cities. And, if you're like me you generally won't need to be in the "big city" except on weekends anyway, so you won't have the constant traffic probs to contend with.

Good luck with your move, everyone!

Old 12-16-2006, 07:55 PM

157 posts, read 1,302,912 times
Is it true that High Rock Lake someimes dries up? This thread talks about that: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...rock-lake.html

Thank you.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
Good job, itsme2. Glad to see you're doing your homework (no pun intended ). That's what these boards are for.

I'm glad you brought this up because I get a feeling that alot of folks seem apprehensive about looking outside the metro areas. The bottom line is there is an abundance of transplants all over the state now, so I promise you will not feel like ~the lone yankee~ if you decide on an alternate location. My city (Burlington) alone has transplants galore.

Here are just a few cities that are worth checking into:

Jamestown - nice, quite town near G'boro
Kernersville - has an excellent Catholic school
Gibsonville - community-oriented, quaint downtown area
Elon - small, pristine college town with good schools
Whitsett - rural area with nice subdivisions, convenient to G'boro
Burlington - growing mid-sized city between Greensboro & Chapel Hill
Graham - same as Gibsonville but larger
Summerfield - must be ok, Chris Daughtry just moved there
Mebane - really growing! Nice, quite, clean, quaint downtown

These cities are ideal for retirees or families with children. Commuting to Greenboro or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is quick and easy from any of these cities. And, if you're like me you generally won't need to be in the "big city" except on weekends anyway, so you won't have the constant traffic probs to contend with.

Good luck with your move, everyone!

Whenever I hear people who move here finding comfort in "not being the lone yankee" it makes me wonder....

Why move down here just to have the same exact atmosphere you left?

Am I reading this wrong or do most people just want the NC address, and be as far from native NCers as possible?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Whenever I hear people who move here finding comfort in "not being the lone yankee" it makes me wonder....

Why move down here just to have the same exact atmosphere you left?

Am I reading this wrong or do most people just want the NC address, and be as far from native NCers as possible?
I am drawing the same conclusion and I'm not even a native, but not a newcomer either. Originally from the midwest, we've been here 20 years, and it truly does sadden me to read that most of those folks considering N.C. fear looking beyond the "Containment Area" (Cary) or Charlotte.
Guess it's not surprising though, b/c people read a "best of" list somewhere, jump on this forum (that gets a majority of posts from non-natives, many of whom are here <5 years and often realtors looking to increase their business) ....then it's off to the races following everyone else...
Our lives have been enriched by the people we've met here in Sanford over the years. One of my favorite memories is of my European-born father and my N.C.-born neighbor's friendship. Both older gentlemen with accents distinct to their heritage, bonding over their common interests of gardening, traditions and family. An unlikely pair who'd never have met if we'd stuck just to the familiar when we first moved here!

Old 12-17-2006, 10:52 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Great Post, MariGirl!

Too often folks desiring tolerance are intolerant, wanting comfort but don't offfer comfort.
I have met so many NC Natives who have been receptive and given me the opportunity to prove myself that it has been heartwarming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina