Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 26,983 times

Advertisements

I need some help. We want to relocate from SW Fl. to NC. My husband and I are crackers and are tired of the heat and now the green sludge in our canal. We sold our condo and need to rent a place for maybe a year and explore NC to find area that we would like to move to.

We are retired. Don't want big city life. Would like cooler summers than FL. Mild winters. Please can any one give me some suggestions? Thought about Hendersonville, but looks like crime is awfully high.

Please can someone give me some guidance?

Where can I look to find a rental?

Thank you so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
We sold our condo and need to rent a place for maybe a year
and explore NC to find area that we would like to move to (or not).
Would like cooler summers than FL. Mild winters.
The idea of being able to serve both masters with ONE location just doesn't work.
This is why you've been getting all those wintertime snowbirds in FL.

Quote:
We are retired. Don't want big city life.
Start at the eastern end on/near the coast.
Poke around, heading westerly, until you find your price point.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Hendersonville is popular with retirees....I don't think crime there is worse than anywhere else.

Western NC would be most to your liking....at 3500 ft, my summer day has not gotten over 83 in the years I've been here....winters are mild with snow several times per year. Lots of smaller towns that retirees have discovered...any one would be good area to rent... any direction within an hour or so of Asheville.

Our coast can indeed rival FL at times with summer heat...

Check the Western NC thread...

Old 08-24-2018, 10:22 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Tryon is in the Thermal Belt, and has a very moderate climate as a result. Small scenic town, beautiful mountain valley surroundings, reasonably close to Asheville, not too far to Greenville and Spartanburg, SC.

Maybe a bit pricey, and with the World Equestrian Games about to get underway in Tryon, plan any upcoming visit with that in mind as huge crowds are expected for this major event. Once the games are over and everyone goes back home, Tryon should come close to your preferences, though.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM

CraigCreek, that does look like a good area to explore after we find a place to rent. Thank you very much.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:12 PM

greatblueheron, Thanks so much. 83 high sounds like heaven.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I've never heard Hendersonville called "high-crime", but it may depend on what you're comparing it to.

Check out this list of NC cities, with all kinds of statistics on each (weather, crime, income, etc) for the whole state. The Sandhills area (Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen) is also very popular with retirees, especially for golfing and boating.

Definitely anywhere east of Charlotte is going to have days in the 90s in the summer. Compared to FL, our winters aren't "mild", but compared to anywhere north of here, they are--compared to anywhere north of Maryland, they are laughable. The state does get snow (especially the mountains e g Hendersonville) but as someone said above, you can't avoid BOTH intense summer weather and intense winter weather unless you go somewhere like the West Coast.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 AM

BeckyWNC,

Yes, if you could help it would be great. I would like to rent furnished. I would like to stay under $1000.00/mo including utilities. Not picky, just clean. Just my husband and I. Plus one old, declawed, house cat, well behaved. I would like to stay for 6 mos to 1 year while we explore the areas around there, from Western NC to Eastern TN. What else would you like to know?

I have gone on Craigslist and not been successful (mostly are for vacationers and overpriced). I have called Carolina Mornings and they won't consider you if you have a cat. Dogs are ok but no cats?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
I need some help. We want to relocate from SW Fl. to NC. My husband and I are crackers and are tired of the heat and now the green sludge in our canal. We sold our condo and need to rent a place for maybe a year and explore NC to find area that we would like to move to.

We are retired. Don't want big city life. Would like cooler summers than FL. Mild winters. Please can any one give me some suggestions? Thought about Hendersonville, but looks like crime is awfully high.

Where can I look to find a rental?

Thank you so very much.

Moved here from SWFL last year.. You're going to be in culture shock from Naples, Ft. Myers. Crime here is going to be astronomical compared to that area. We've been broken into twice since moving from North Naples and we are in a "safe" area and in an HOA. Also been a witness to a drive by shooting back in Dec and had several shootings and murders within 5 miles or so from our home. We aren't downtown or anything we live outside the city. Crime here is pretty high in all parts.

So just be aware. Charlotte is on the list as one of Americas most deadliest cities. SWFL is a retirement community. Outside of Downtown Fort. Myers you're not going to see much crime...

As far as weather.. yah its hot here too lol. Its also hazy which makes it feel just as humid. Maybe not as long but its been upper 90's for months now and over 100 with heat index a lot of the summer. The winters will be colder though and its going to feel down right freezing come Jan compared to what you're used to in in SWFL.

Most of the places around Charlotte are simply industrial type extensions of the city. Its hard to say you don't want city life, yet you're looking to move around a major city...

What about work? Commute will be an issue if you don't work from home. You'll need to figure that out and then housing from there.. SWFL in wintertime with the snow birds has NOTHING on traffic here. It can take my husband an hour to go 7 miles from home to work here. He was 15 miles from work in Naples and it took him 20 mins... so be aware of those things too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina