Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 7,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The best places are those where you have family and friends to help.
At least until you can get the skills needed to earn enough to live elsewhere.
I don't have any family but thank you for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwain84 View Post
The pay for nursing assistants are very low in the area I am in. A lot of places want 3x the rent. Ive been trying my car insurance is 20 less than my note. Because of the area and I have a great driving record.
FL is a no fault car insurance state and with that comes higher car insurance. VA is not. I lived in MI for a year and they also have no fault insurance and the rates were ridiculous.

Property mgmt companies in CLT also require you to make 3X the rent as well. Renting in CLT is getting tougher.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
FL is a no fault car insurance state and with that comes higher car insurance. VA is not. I lived in MI for a year and they also have no fault insurance and the rates were ridiculous.

Property mgmt companies in CLT also require you to make 3X the rent as well. Renting in CLT is getting tougher.
The rent here for not so good areas is even high and frankly not worth it when id be scared to leave my house. The cost of living is from what I understand a little more reasonable I can make 3x the rent for a nice 850 apt versus one for 1300 here with the same pay rate..

Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
The pay for nursing assistants are very low in the area I am in. A lot of places want 3x the rent. Ive been trying my car insurance is 20 less than my note. Because of the area and I have a great driving record.
I think it's fairly low everywhere. Maybe a state like CA will have some union jobs but for the most part it's going to be tough making a living on that salary. Especially with debt like a car payment.

FL has car insurance rates about double other states due to the no fault laws as someone mentioned above. But really that shouldn't be that big of a deal, example in VA my liability only insurance was $15/month (also no fault state).

Are there plans for additional schooling to maybe become a nurse? In NC they earn around $55k a year. Maybe look at moving to a place with an inexpensive nursing school program. And examine your budget, at CNA pay rates you really shouldn't have a car payment.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
To the point: The town/area you're living in isn't the real problem.
Quote:
I don't have any family but thank you for the suggestion.
Then make one of your own.

Maybe with similar age people also with kids or maybe someone more grandparent age. Etc.
Share their home, reduce housing costs to what a CNA can afford.
Good luck.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 4,203 times
I’m originally raised by the va/Nc border. I grew up in BFE. I’m in raleigh and have been for 8 years now. I’m not a nurse so I can’t speak on your income, but 3xs monthly rent is the standard I believe. Except NYC where you have to make 13xs monthly 😳 I also lived in Charlotte two year prior to raleigh move and opted to stay here. I don’t have any family or help, I have two kids 8&5 and I make it just fine. I have made some amazing friends that have become my family. If you don’t have any negative things that would hinder you from getting a house do it. But I found apartments to be the easier cheapest way. Find you an affordable place, check out the school base, try to work a deal (longer lease cheaper rent) and just do it 💁🏻*♀️ A two bedroom should only run you 800ish a month. Another thought is finding a 1bd with loft or “den” that could run you a couple bucks cheaper.

Hope that helped you a bit. Good luck

Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebumble View Post
I’m originally raised by the va/Nc border. I grew up in BFE. I’m in raleigh and have been for 8 years now. I’m not a nurse so I can’t speak on your income, but 3xs monthly rent is the standard I believe. Except NYC where you have to make 13xs monthly 😳 I also lived in Charlotte two year prior to raleigh move and opted to stay here. I don’t have any family or help, I have two kids 8&5 and I make it just fine. I have made some amazing friends that have become my family. If you don’t have any negative things that would hinder you from getting a house do it. But I found apartments to be the easier cheapest way. Find you an affordable place, check out the school base, try to work a deal (longer lease cheaper rent) and just do it 💁🏻*♀️ A two bedroom should only run you 800ish a month. Another thought is finding a 1bd with loft or “den” that could run you a couple bucks cheaper.

Hope that helped you a bit. Good luck
Thank you so much for the info. I'm planning a trip up there next month to scope out some areas to live in.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 437 times
Default hi im in the same boat

did u ever moved, how was it, im moving from miami to nc

Old 01-10-2019, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 6,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimycue View Post
did u ever moved, how was it, im moving from miami to nc

Hey, what part of Miami are you moving from? I am in Miami and looking into NC for the future for my Family and I.

I am so over Miami! What made you look into NC?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 6,987 times
I moved from Ft.myers Fl, about four years ago and love it. I love the weather and the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina