Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Do we not generally agree that requiring some form of ID is acceptable?
No, I don't think we agree on that at all. I'm definitely in the NO VOTER ID camp. It suppresses the vote, especially in marginalized voting communities, like the elderly, the poor, the young, and voter fraud (outside of Russian interference) is not a major worry.

I'm MUCH more concerned about voting machines that can be hacked by Russians or other outside influences. It's just not practical for widespread voter fraud from folks voting in person to greatly influence an election. What is possible is voter suppression through requirements like IDs, and elimination of early voting days, and early voting sites, and purging the voter rolls of valid voters.

This sort of stuff is going on in Georgia right now. A friend who lives in Atlanta posted that his mother-in-law was recently staying with them when she broke her hip. She is in the hospital now and may be for sometime and it will be difficult for her to get to the polls so she asked her daughter to help her vote absentee. When her daughter went to try to get her a ballot she found out her mom who has been a faithful voter has been randomly purged from the voter rolls as have reportedly 10% of registered voters in Georgia! Voter ID requirements are just one more tool for voter suppression.

Y'all should check your voter registration. Go to the NC Board of Elections site at https://www.ncsbe.gov/ and click on Voter Tools/Voter Lookup . A friend here in NC said she has been obsessively checking hers every month or so and some friends of hers were doing the same and found themselves purged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 06:28 PM

311 posts, read 172,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I simply do not believe any doctor would deny service to an individual who does not present a photo ID. It is outlandish to make such a claim.
You don’t get to see the doctor until you get last the front desk. I don’t believe any medical office would let anyone get to even “Start” without a photo ID.

Even emergency rooms with the exception of acute patients brought in critical condition.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, I don't think we agree on that at all. I'm definitely in the NO VOTER ID camp. It suppresses the vote, especially in marginalized voting communities, like the elderly, the poor, the young,
the rest of your post is about the how.

If I didn't say it in this thread, I've said it elsewhere - I have read about what's going on in GA, and that's definitely aimed at suppression, not verification. And what I've read makes it wrong.

But anytime something is required, it creates suppression.

Whether that's requiring some form of ID to vote, requiring a HS or college degree, picture ID to use a credit card, or a driver's license to legally operate a motor vehicle. A membership card to a gym or any organization.

Any requirement beyond existence suppresses some activity.

So you also believe that I shouldn't have to receive a valid driver's license in order to operate a vehicle?

You believe that ANY requirement that you provide evidence that you are who you claim you are is wrong?

Old 10-14-2018, 05:07 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
So you also believe that I shouldn't have to receive a valid driver's license in order to operate a vehicle?

You believe that ANY requirement that you provide evidence that you are who you claim you are is wrong?
Operating a motor vehicle isn't a constitutionally protected right. Operating a motor vehicle is s a privilege. There is a huge difference.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
You don’t get to see the doctor until you get last the front desk. I don’t believe any medical office would let anyone get to even “Start” without a photo ID.

Even emergency rooms with the exception of acute patients brought in critical condition.
As I stated earlier,if someone showed up at a doctors office with an insurance card, and no drivers license or other picture id, and the office needed such id, then I am sure the office would work with the patient to resolve the issue in such a way as to provide treatment.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
thanks for not answering the ?

Do we not generally agree that requiring some form of ID is acceptable?

And that *what* constitutes "some form" is what we should work on?
I did answer your question. Since you are now asking a different one, I'll answer that. Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem. Voter fraud is virtually nonexistent so there's no problem that needs solving.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
I have yet to see an ER that asked patients for an ID, no matter what condition they’re in.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Anything much beyond the "state your address" requirement currently in use. I would also be okay with "state your birthday" as I have to every time I fill a prescription at CVS.

To elaborate on my example from before, my 17 year old does not want to drive and actually has a number of friends who feel the same way. She also knows quite a few kids who will be living at home the year they are 18 (either turn 18 in high school or are taking a year and working or going to community college, etc) so they won't have a utility bill in their name. My kids' high school does not have school ID cards and those are not valid for voting anyway, but even if they were since the school does not issue them it's a moot point. So unless they (and maybe their parents) take a day off work and go get a state ID they are suppressed out of voting by the ID requirement. Same for older folks who may not drive any more, or one of a couple who doesn't drive and doesn't have a utility bill in their name.

So yes. I am in favor of NO VOTER ID. It's unnecessary and would do far more harm than good. It would eliminate far more valid voters than it would eliminate instances of fraud. That's the real problem with it. There is no evidence of wide-scale voter fraud by voting in person. (There's currently an FBI investigation on other kinds of election interference, but voter fraud is a minimal problem.)

Basically voter ID laws cause more problems than they solve. There's a very minor problem in this country with voter fraud in person. There's a major problem with voter suppression caused by onerous voter ID laws. Should we go back to the poll tax too? https://www.apnews.com/f5f6a73b2af546ee97816bb35e82c18d
vs
https://www.cjr.org/special_report/k...ppression.php/
and
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ession/565355/

Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
That's just talking out your you-know-what. I have already stated that I go to a doctor regularly who does not ask for my ID. I have been to doctors 3 or 4 times in the past month or two (taking my kids also) and the only thing they ask for is my insurance card.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Operating a motor vehicle isn't a constitutionally protected right. Operating a motor vehicle is s a privilege. There is a huge difference.

The 2nd amendment is a constitutionally protected right, yet I think you need to have a photo ID to be able to purchase a firearm.

(Not saying I disagree with the requirements, just noting that one right has additional restrictions put on it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina