Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times

Advertisements

Hi - We have just relocated to Nash County and are looking for a safe area to live in. I have heard that Middlesex is country, but nice. Anyone out there care to comment. Hard to come from small town in Michigan and look for somewhere that I feel comfortable. My husband works in Wilson, NC - something within a 40 minute commute. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 03:56 PM

Default I guess a little of both

We lived in the country in Michigan, but when I was younger I lived in the city. I prefer the country...............

Old 12-14-2006, 10:54 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,124 times
Hey cassy,

Middlesex is a very safe little town. One of my best friends used to live over by the Childrens home. The area is very nice and hilly. Spring Hope is another small town in Nash co. you could look into. Baily is there as well. All those towns are within 15-20 minutes from Wilson.

Why did you guys not choose Wilson? The western, and northwestern part of the county and city are very safe and nice.

Trust me, you will be safe!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Thanks for the info

We live in Rocky Mount right now and I hate it! We have been told that Wilson is just as bad and to look outside into the smaller towns and suburbs. I have only been to Wilson a few times but will look into the areas you mentioned. It's hard because everyone has an opinion about an area, thats why I thought I would start posting and see what others say. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
We live in Rocky Mount right now and I hate it! We have been told that Wilson is just as bad and to look outside into the smaller towns and suburbs. I have only been to Wilson a few times but will look into the areas you mentioned. It's hard because everyone has an opinion about an area, thats why I thought I would start posting and see what others say. Thanks for the info.
Wilson is a much better town than Rocky Mount. I bet if you looked in Wilson around the Lake wilson rd, Airport Blvd areas, and points north and west, you will like it. The only parts of Wilson you should avoid are the east side, and south side. Yes, those parts are like Rocky Mount. Wilson is different than Rocky Mount though. If you drive around some of the inner neighborhoods of Wilson, near downtown, you will see what I mean. (the areas off of nash st, Raleigh rd, Riply, and those downtown neighborhoods bordering the west side of downtown.) These areas are so nice! Huge Oak trees, well preserved historic homes. (and safe) probably expensive though

Rocky Mount....yeah, it's bad.

Both those little town in Nash co are also good.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Wilson is a much better town than Rocky Mount.
I second that 100%. Rocky Mount may have a little more shopping and restaurants, but the overall appearance of Wilson vastly outweighs Rocky Mount. There are plenty of homes for sale in Wilson, many in the beautiful historic districts of town. Check 'em out here:
www.wilsonboardofrealtors.com

Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,744 times
Go out along hwy 97 around Buckhorn reservoir/tar river. Zebulon area of Eastern Wake Co. is also within your commute range. In fact a whole lot of nice country areas are within 40 minutes of Wilson. Do be careful around the downtown and historic districts of Wilson, especially after dark. The line between the historic and "crack house" districts becomes very blurry real quick. I have lived in or near Wilson for quite a while and I don't mess around downtown at night.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
Go out along hwy 97 around Buckhorn reservoir/tar river. Zebulon area of Eastern Wake Co. is also within your commute range. In fact a whole lot of nice country areas are within 40 minutes of Wilson. Do be careful around the downtown and historic districts of Wilson, especially after dark. The line between the historic and "crack house" districts becomes very blurry real quick. I have lived in or near Wilson for quite a while and I don't mess around downtown at night.

It does suck not to be able to go downtown because of things like that. Something should be done....but what can you do? Hands are tied.

But the downtown areas just west of the downtown center are very nice. But it is so close to the bad areas you speak of. I just want to know why it has to be like that.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Thanks everyone, we can ride around and look this weekend. I think I have been out by the airport and into Wilson from that direction once last year. In Michigan the suburbs are good and safe, but if you drive into the cities at night.......watch out! I guess every city has that. It just helps to have someone point out the nicer areas when new in town.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,171 times
Cassy:
My husband and I also just relocated to NC from Ohio. After searching for many months for a home, we ended up choosing Middlesex. It's a very small country town and you have to drive to Zebulon to go to the grocery store (14 minutes) and super Walmart (10 minutes) which really isn't that bad.
My husband works in Raleigh which is also a 40 minute commute for him and from what I remember from when we were checking out different towns, I don't think Wilson is all that far from Middlesex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina