Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,909 times

Advertisements

What's funny is that the Republicans assume they will own the General Assembly forever. What happens when the Democrats eventually win a majority? Are all these laws/amendments then subject to THEIR whims? I absolutely can't wait to hear the GOP bellyaching when that happens.

It's the exact same crap the Democrats pulled in Congress, then it came to bite them in the ass when they lost power and the GOP won control of Congress and the Presidency: How Democrats Paved the Way for the Confirmation of Trump's Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atlantic
A little over three years ago, Senator Mitch McConnell stood on the Senate floor and issued a warning to the Democrats who then controlled the majority.

“I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle, you’ll regret this,” McConnell, then the minority leader, told them. “And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”

At the urging of Majority Leader Harry Reid, Democrats had just voted along strict party lines to change the rules of the Senate, deploying what had become known in Washington as “the nuclear option.” McConnell and his Republican colleagues were furious. Under the new rules, presidential nominees for all executive-branch position—including the Cabinet—and judicial vacancies below the Supreme Court could advance with a simple majority of 51 votes. The rules for legislation were untouched, but the 60-vote threshold for overcoming a filibuster on nearly all nominations was dead.

As Donald Trump prepares to assume the presidency this afternoon flanked by Republican majorities in Congress, McConnell’s warning is looking more and more prescient. Trump may win Senate confirmation of his entire Cabinet, and while Democrats will oppose many of his nominees, it was their vote in November 2013 that helped pave the way for their success...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 13,568 times
Default voter id

A year ago I tried to get an id from the NC DMV.

The official there told me that I needed an original ss card. I was shocked. I am 77 years old, a colon cancer survivor and an honorably discharged us army veteran. In fact my DD Form 214 (army discharge) has my SS listed on it. I also have a Birth certificate copy.

I got my SS card when I was 16 years old. Paper doesn't last 61 years.

There is even a federal law against requiring a SS card for ID.

I'm glad the democrats won the house. I will start now to address this issue by writing my democratic rep.

Any advice would be helpful.

I agree about voting "no" on these amendments. I voted no on all. When a politician starts talking about reform, Beware!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTom View Post

The official there told me that I needed an original ss card. In fact my DD Form 214 (army discharge) has my SS listed on it.
The oerson you talked to was misinformed. From the NC DMV website:

"T​he N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles recognizes the documents below as proof that an individual has a Social Security number.

Military record reflecting Social Security number"

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/help/Pages...-security.aspx

Plus, you don't need an "original" SS card, i.e., the card that was issued to you 61 years ago, you simply need a SS card issued by the SS Administration, which you can obtain from them:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTom View Post

The official there told me that I needed an original ss card. I was shocked. I am 77 years old, a colon cancer survivor and an honorably discharged us army veteran. In fact my DD Form 214 (army discharge) has my SS listed on it. I also have a Birth certificate copy.

I got my SS card when I was 16 years old. Paper doesn't last 61 years.

There is even a federal law against requiring a SS card for ID.

I'm glad the democrats won the house. I will start now to address this issue by writing my democratic rep.

Any advice would be helpful.

I agree about voting "no" on these amendments. I voted no on all. When a politician starts talking about reform, Beware!
As for the NC General Assembly, the Democrats did not win the house, Democrats did break the Republican supermajority, but the General Assembly ( House and Senate ) is still controlled by Republicans.

As for the NC Congress, there was no change in the political party representation, there are still 3 Democrats and 10 Republicans from NC.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
As for the NC General Assembly, the Democrats did not win the house, Democrats did break the Republican supermajority, but the General Assembly ( House and Senate ) is still controlled by Republicans.

As for the NC Congress, there was no change in the political party representation, there are still 3 Democrats and 10 Republicans from NC.
Pretty sure the OP was referring to the US House of Representatives, and his claim that a federal law prohibits requiring a SS card to obtain an ID card.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Pretty sure the OP was referring to the US House of Representatives, and his claim that a federal law prohibits requiring a SS card to obtain an ID card.
Sorry, not "OP", but "poster".

Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
People passed the voter ID amendment which excludes absentee ballots. The results of the District 9 election are not certified because of problems involving absentee ballots. Nice going.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:54 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
People passed the voter ID amendment which excludes absentee ballots. The results of the District 9 election are not certified because of problems involving absentee ballots. Nice going.
Agreed. I like this quote by House Minority Leader Darren Jackson, which sums it up rather well:

Quote:
"The whole country is looking at North Carolina now, but they're looking at us because of absentee voter fraud. What are we doing? We're sitting here not even addressing the issue; we're doing something else that would make no difference."
Good work everyone. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina