Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:16 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
50.3% of the votes cast for Federal Congress representing North Carolina were for a Republican. Republicans won 10 /13 seats (77%).
In 2010, Republicans ran in Democrat drawn districts - and won.

Every ten years, districts are re-drawn.

The only thing "wrong" with this is that the Republicans won.

And the Democrats and their groups (Common Cause, League of Women Voters, etc) take their complaints to the courts and they never take no for an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I am located in the 9th district and I'm not thrilled Mark Harris won but I'm not surprised either. It is what it is.

The others I pretty much expected. I'm not surprised to hear Wake County voted Donnie Harrison out, he was done after backing the deputy in that K-9 incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
looks like WRAL has a precinct by precinct map

https://www.wral.com/north-carolina-...oup=amendments
WRAL does a really good job with these maps even going back to 2008-ish, best I've come across for state-wide elections.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm disappointed that McCready didn't win, but usually the Democrat running against Pittenger in past elections got stomped. This one was a nail-biter. I guess Mark Harris will enjoy his new role as the co-chair of the "Transgender Bathroom Committee" in the House!
Emissary, I think that Harris is a disgusting piece of dung. I was thinking that it's probably time for Nancy Pelosi to pass the gavel, but I think she's just what he needs.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
In 2010, Republicans ran in Democrat drawn districts - and won.

Every ten years, districts are re-drawn.

The only thing "wrong" with this is that the Republicans won.

And the Democrats and their groups (Common Cause, League of Women Voters, etc) take their complaints to the courts and they never take no for an answer.

The districts drawn in 2000 were bipartisan, as Republicans had split control of one house at the time.

Computer software to draw precincts based on partisan affiliation was also not there yet. Gerrymandering is far more powerful now than it ever was in the 20th century.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I read that after last night, all 9 of the Mecklenburg commissioners are now all democrat. Mecklenburg is a very, possibly the most, democratic area in the state. I think Charlotte city council has 2 republicans on all the council

Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
You can expect Democrats to overperform somewhat in urban counties that are rapidly growing, and underperform in rural counties where their voter base is the poorest and most inconvenienced from getting to the polls.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
cities are blue.
that is why they call it the "blues".

Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
You can expect Democrats to overperform somewhat in urban counties that are rapidly growing, and underperform in rural counties where their voter base is the poorest and most inconvenienced from getting to the polls.
Still. A clean sweep is hard with 9/9 seats.

I think Wake shook out to be 5/7 Dem, right?

Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I read that after last night, all 9 of the Mecklenburg commissioners are now all democrat. Mecklenburg is a very, possibly the most, democratic area in the state. I think Charlotte city council has 2 republicans on all the council
Durham would have something to say about this, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
cities are blue.
that is why they call it the "blues".
Elton John agrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KYAVn8ons

Old 11-07-2018, 08:04 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm disappointed that McCready didn't win, but usually the Democrat running against Pittenger in past elections got stomped. This one was a nail-biter. I guess Mark Harris will enjoy his new role as the co-chair of the "Transgender Bathroom Committee" in the House!

Most of the time that Pittenger had it, the map of that district was radically different than what it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina