Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 AM

14 posts, read 14,330 times

Advertisements

Hello, I feel like I'm paying too much taxes for my 2014 e350 every year.
GA got a one time fee, while SC got 300$ max per annum or 5% whichever is maximum.
Ga is too far, so SC.
1. Can I live in NC and register the car at my friend's address in SC? Will there be any problem? Do I need to have SC license too?
2. I'm from Charlotte, so, I can move to Fort mill,SC but the gas expense to UNCC area doesn't is way too much compared to what I'll save on registration.
3. What are the other costs associated with registering a vehicle in NC vs SC? I know inspection thing is one, but I got lifetime inspection from Nissan Concord and my car got ELW until 2020. My car will be in perfect condition all the time, knock on wood.
4. Can I use my friend's address for Driver's license as well as Car registration?

Please let me know what mistakes am I overlooking here.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 12:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
And what makes you so special? Aren't we ALL paying too much?

Quote:
Most states have a ONE TIME excise tax paid at purchase for TITLING...
and then an annual or biennial registration fee for TAGS.

NC (and a few other backward places) complicate this with a "reduced" excise tax
and then proceed to jam you every year in perpetuity with a "personal property" tax.
Then they make you pay another $35 for an almost useless 'safety' inspection.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:05 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And what makes you so special? Aren't we ALL paying too much?

Most states have a ONE TIME excise tax paid at purchase for TITLING...
and then an annual or biennial registration fee for TAGS.

NC (and a few other backward places) complicate this with a "reduced" excise tax
and then proceed to jam you every year in perpetuity with a "personal property" tax.
Then they make you pay another $35 for an almost useless 'safety' inspection.
This! Probably one of my few major gripes when moving from TN to NC. With the way vehicles are taxed here, you only come out ahead (paying less than equivalent sales tax) if you lease your cars or sell them every 2-3 years - pretty impractical for a lot of us. Long term owners get screwed.

Quote:
GA got a one time fee, while SC got 300$ max per annum or 5% whichever is maximum.
Ga is too far, so SC.
1. Can I live in NC and register the car at my friend's address in SC? Will there be any problem? Do I need to have SC license too?
2. I'm from Charlotte, so, I can move to Fort mill,SC but the gas expense to UNCC area doesn't is way too much compared to what I'll save on registration.
3. What are the other costs associated with registering a vehicle in NC vs SC? I know inspection thing is one, but I got lifetime inspection from Nissan Concord and my car got ELW until 2020. My car will be in perfect condition all the time, knock on wood.
4. Can I use my friend's address for Driver's license as well as Car registration?

Thanks.
I'm not overly familiar with SC's vehicle property tax system, but it sounds almost as bad as ours from what I've read. Honestly, I would just try to live somewhere close to UNCC. If there are any tax savings living in SC, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it compared to the expenses of extra gas, vehicle wear & tear, and personal free time.

Last edited by BrianGC; 11-08-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 02:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
NC does have high costs for vehicle ownership annually, but at least the purchase tax is only 3%.

Here in Chicago, we pay almost 10% on the purchase price (because the state, county, and city all want their cut), but do not have any sort of property tax every year. We just pay around $100 for registration. I guess over the period of 5yr or so, we end up paying about the same as it would cost in NC.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Here in Chicago, we pay almost 10% on the purchase price...
How much do you pay in sales tax generally in Chicago? It's 6.8% around here (iirc).

Quote:
NC does have high costs for vehicle ownership annually, but at least the purchase tax is only 3%.
The "purchase tax" is the excise tax mentioned above. It's almost always equal to the prevailing sales tax rate there.
The NC 3% you mention is only PART of the tax we pay on the purchase.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,695,698 times
Quote:
Ga is too far, so SC.

Thanks.
South Carolina ranks as the 3rd most expensive state for car registration annually, while North Carolina ranks 18th.

You have the taxes wrong. You do not pay a maximum of $300 annually or 5%. That is if you BUY a car in South Carolina you plan to register elsewhere. So if a Charlotte resident goes to Fort Mill to buy a Ford they plan to register in North Carolina, this law is applicable:

"Beginning, July 1, 2017, people who buy a vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, or other item in South Carolina that will be registered in another state will not owe an Infrastructure Maintenance Fee, but will pay a sales tax upon purchasing the item.

Under the changes in legislation, the sales tax has increased from 5% of the sale price, with a maximum of $300, to 5% of the sale price, with a maximum of $500."
New Fee Beginning July 1, 2017

HERE are the fees applicable for switching your car registration to South Carolina:
"Beginning July 1, 2017, people who move to South Carolina with a vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, or other automobile that needs to be registered in SC will owe a $250 Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF), in addition to applicable title and registration fees and property taxes, per item that needs to be registered in this state.

For example, if you move to SC from Georgia with a vehicle that was previously registered in Georgia, when you register that vehicle with the SCDMV, you will owe the IMF, applicable title and registration fees, and property taxes. You pay your property taxes to your county treasurer. You must bring your original paid property tax receipt when you visit the SCDMV."

Both NC and SC base the property tax on the appraised value of your car, so you are going to get hit for driving a luxury car that is relatively new.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
This! Probably one of my few major gripes when moving from TN to NC.
Was another major gripe, going from a state with no state income tax to one that does!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
I don't think anyone has addressed the OP's questions #1 and #4.... should he risk illegally registering his car at an address that's not his to maybe save a few dollars? IMO, that's up to his conscience and his level of risk tolerance.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Both NC and SC base the property tax on the appraised value of your car, so you are going to get hit for driving a luxury car that is relatively new.
Not only that, but I've noticed that the "Value assessment" or whatever is dubious at best. The tax is due again on our older vehicle soon, and it's like they based it on the highest equipped-level variant in pristine condition with low mileage. We're planning on appealing, but they sure don't make it clear on exactly how to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Was another major gripe, going from a state with no state income tax to one that does!
Haha yup . I'd prefer TN's higher sales tax if given the choice of two evils. Otherwise, I love NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I don't think anyone has addressed the OP's questions #1 and #4.... should he risk illegally registering his car at an address that's not his to maybe save a few dollars? IMO, that's up to his conscience and his level of risk tolerance.
Ah, I misunderstood their question I think. I'd say just register in NC. It doesn't sound like there's any money to be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina