Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM

27 posts, read 91,803 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am very aware of the "good" things in NC, specifically the Peidmont Region, BUT

What are the "bad" things?

Be honest now, not everything is great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
I don't care for the summertime heat of the Piedmont Region, but that's subjective. Some folks love it.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
and I am the opposite I dont care for the winters. I dont like my body having to experience a shiver and to cold to kayak.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinfes View Post
Ok, I am very aware of the "good" things in NC, specifically the Peidmont Region, BUT

Thanks
The interstates are too small for that amount of traffic on them - so we get terrible traffic!

In the last 10 years, EVERYBODY from the northeast and west coast seems to have discovered NC, including gangs. Not that they are a major problem yet, but they are a growing problem - and this just ticks me off.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM

13 posts, read 84,404 times
Default Ice storms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinfes View Post

Thanks
Ice storms!!!!

Because we're in a temperate climate, where winter temps sometimes hover around the freezing mark, we occasionally have the perfect conditions for an ice storm. When we do have an ice storm: (a) we lose power, sometimes for days; (b) it takes forever for the city/town/state to clear/salt the roads in the rural areas; (c) crazy people drive too fast for the conditions and have accidents; (d) trees come down, often on power lines (see [a]), and entire pine groves are devastated.

I'll take a blizzard over an ice storm any day. Ice stinks! Fortunately ice storms are rare. We did not have one last winter. And so far, this winter has been exceptionally mild.

The Winston-Salem area is also Allergen-World. My husband never had bad allergies until we moved here. I understand we're in a sort of "bowl" surrounded by hills and mountains, and somehow this means allergens get trapped here, or something. Well, it keeps the allergists busy.

Those are really the only big negatives we've found.

Diane

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

13 posts, read 84,404 times
I second LovesMountains' comments about the interstates. The population is growing faster than the infrastructure!

It's a lot worse for the interstates that go to / through Charlotte...but it's not so great for the Triad ones either.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeski View Post
I second LovesMountains' comments about the interstates. The population is growing faster than the infrastructure!

It's a lot worse for the interstates that go to / through Charlotte...but it's not so great for the Triad ones either.
Wow it might be because I am living in the Charlotte area now but the triad has probably the best interstate system in this state for a metro area in this state.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wow it might be because I am living in the Charlotte area now but the triad has probably the best interstate system in this state for a metro area in this state.
Agree 110%.

The whole Triad area has several Interstates to ZIP around.

Charlotte is the most overlooked city in the state when it comes down to Raleigh helping us out with anything.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Agree 110%.

The whole Triad area has several Interstates to ZIP around.

Charlotte is the most overlooked city in the state when it comes down to Raleigh helping us out with anything.
Yep, sure makes us down here in Charlotte really feel like the forgotten step-children when all the roads are so much better nearer to Raleigh.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
- I don't like that you have to drive to get anywhere.
- I don't like that people drive from one end of the strip mall to the other.
- I don't like that people complain that there aren't enough roads when we have more roads than every state but Texas.
- I'm embarrassed that until last November we were the most populous state in the country with NO light rail.
- I don't like that our state DOT is so auto-centric.
- I don't like that every Piedmont city has suburban sprawl.
- I don't like that most options for new homes are in planned communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina