Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times

Advertisements

I've found the people in NC to be really nice--just as I've found people in other states to be really nice. I do not think people in NC "care more" than anywhere else. There are good and bad people everywhere. And I've never had a hard time starting up a conversation in any state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
You reap what you sow.

Move anywhere with an elitist attitude, and you will be shunned, and justifiably so.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM

68 posts, read 211,211 times
LOL, you reap what you sow!

Wow, we moved here with a positive attitude. We repeatedly told people this was a great place, and that we loved it. Did everything we could to add to the community (volunteered, went to church, paid taxes, never said this is the way they did it back home, never made fun even though we were given many left handed compliments, learned to wave, learned everyone's names). We taught our kids to ADD to the community as well.

I kept trying to figure out what we were doing wrong? I spent the summer in Texas last year, and made more heartfelt friends in one month, then I'd made here in years. I made good enough friends in Texas, that We've actually been back to visit, with 2 different families, and regularly write each other. My kids made more friends in one summer there than their whole lives here. Even though my younger kids were born here, they are still tormented at school as 'yankees'
because they never developed the accent.

Leaving, throwing in the towel,
My only regret is not leaving years ago, before pouring my heart into this community.

So, I guess the only question is,
Is NC going to reap what she sows, by driving away all the good hard working, tax paying families?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
It's luck of the draw, I guess. I lived in Texas for 7 months and couldn't make any friends my age no matter how hard I tried. (Only one girl had anything to do with me, and she was almost 5 years younger than me.) I invited all the kids from my church (I went to their church school) to my 18th birthday party. They came, but then left to have fun somewhere else without inviting me. None of them ever had anything to do with me even though we were together everyday and I was as involved as I could be. It was hard coming from a place where I was kind of popular.

In Ohio, I was the girl from NC who had the cool accent. lol In Texas, they called me a Yankee (which is fine if you actually are one lol) and ignored me. *shaking my head*

Oh, well. It taught me some things. Especially how not to treat people.

There are nice, responsive people everywhere you go. And rude people everywhere you go. That's just the way of it.

I wish you the best, ablooddragon.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,569 times
Just be careful about moving to North Carolina especially Raleigh, if you have children.
the schools are in an awful lot of trouble. Over 534 gang related incidents in Wake County schools last year. Also, the Mexican population is enormous. Not prejudiced just letting everyone know that it is one of the fastest growing states with an illegal Mexican immigrant problem. Nice weather though.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM

92 posts, read 216,118 times
I am a westerner and I can relate to the aloofness of westerners. I have lived in colorado springs for 13 years and in the current neighborhood for 5 years. Only one neighbor has gone out of his way to speak to us. There is an individuality and independence in the West that is hard to comprehend. It is difficult to make "good friends" here. People for the most part are not unfriendly. I have lived in Az, Ca, Wa, and MT, and CO has the most aloof residents. My wife and I are planning on retiring to NC or SC in the near future. We are looking forward to some "friendly neighbors".

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
I too am a Coloradoan looking at NC. I have never been there and have been lurking on this site for a while now trying to get a feel of what I am getting into. I love the weather here in CO but feel ready for a change. I love trees. The thought of looking out my window in the morning to watch birds and squirrels has always been a dream. The type of home here in CO that would allow such a thing costs an arm and a leg. I am only a teacher and DH is a firefighter, so we are typical middle class. I am not a fan of the beach, but love the beauty of the mountains during the fall season. The humidity scares me a bit..haven't had to deal with that since I was in Iowa. I assume there are outdoor pools to keep yourself cool during those summer months, along with AC of course. I am also concerned about the schools for my kids. I don't want wealthy schools, but so many are concerned about the public school system and I can't understand why.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I too am a Coloradoan looking at NC. I have never been there and have been lurking on this site for a while now trying to get a feel of what I am getting into. I love the weather here in CO but feel ready for a change. I love trees. The thought of looking out my window in the morning to watch birds and squirrels has always been a dream. The type of home here in CO that would allow such a thing costs an arm and a leg. I am only a teacher and DH is a firefighter, so we are typical middle class. I am not a fan of the beach, but love the beauty of the mountains during the fall season. The humidity scares me a bit..haven't had to deal with that since I was in Iowa. I assume there are outdoor pools to keep yourself cool during those summer months, along with AC of course. I am also concerned about the schools for my kids. I don't want wealthy schools, but so many are concerned about the public school system and I can't understand why.
Sounds like the foothills is more ideal what you are looking for.
It an area between the Piedmont and the mountains with rolling hills and fields and in some areas you can get mountain views in the background.
The mountain region may be over price to what you are looking for.
Cities to consider in order.
Hickory, Lincolnton, Wilkesboro, Morganton, Lenoir, Sparta, Mt Airy, Elkin, Marion north carolina - Google Maps
NC Counties Reference Map

you can look up school report cards for each area here
NC School Report Cards

The smaller the city the more close knit the town is where the community gets involve alot with high school sports and wave to you as you pass them.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
Thanks. Unfortunately, DH will be at Seymore-Johnson and its a bit further commute wise. We don't have to go to NC, its our choice and I am wondering if it is a smart choice. From what I understand...what I want isn't where we going and as a result I might not be happy. Our price range will be about $250,000.00...

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately, DH will be at Seymore-Johnson and its a bit further commute wise. We don't have to go to NC, its our choice and I am wondering if it is a smart choice. From what I understand...what I want isn't where we going and as a result I might not be happy. Our price range will be about $250,000.00...
You might want to go to the main forum and start your own thread of your desires in and needs in eastern North Carolina close to the base area. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina