Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 53,456 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are considering moving from NY to NC, but we're very confused as to where to look. We would love a small town feel, but excellent schools are a must. We'd like to either buy or build in an area where the homes are on large pieces of property. Any suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,408 times
Not sure how good the schools are, you'd have to research it but how about Brevard?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrysG
Hello! My husband and I are considering moving from NY to NC, but we're very confused as to where to look. We would love a small town feel, but excellent schools are a must. We'd like to either buy or build in an area where the homes are on large pieces of property. Any suggestions would be great!
And yet another NYer. My family and I are moving from Long Island to the Charlotte area the end of August. Deciding where to look depends on many factors. What type of jobs are you looking for? What type of climate? Do you want a city life environment to live in? Do you want to be in the suburbs? Or do you want to live in a more rural area? Do you want to be close to beaches? It all depends on your individual situations. What I will tell you from our experience is that many subdivisions are not building homes on large lots. If you get a 1/2 acre you're very lucky. But then again, if you move to a much more rural area, then you may be able to find the larger lots or a resale home that's several years old that was built on large lots. I'm not very familiar with the schools other than the ones in Wake and Union Counties. Wake County is in the Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs area while Union is where Matthews (part of it), Indian Trail, Weddington. Both counties are experiencing over crowding due to many people moving to those areas.

If you're more specific to what you're looking for, I'm sure some of us would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Also look through these forums. There are many specific to certain areas that provide information you might find helpful. Good Luck with your move!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:04 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Any of the names they have up there and let me add Rolesville, Wendell, Knighdale, Garner, and Cary. This are all outside of Raleigh in difference directions. Garner and Knightdale are the closest to Raleigh. Both of them are right at Raleigh and it is hard to tell where these towns stop and Raleigh begins. All of these cities I named are in Wake County I believe. Also in Wake County there is Zebulon and Wake Forest. In Franklin County, if you really want a small town, there is Bunn. But Bunn has this great resort living facility complete with guard gate and a small water fall going in with a minature golf course as well. The name of this is Lake Royale. We, well my sister has the house now. I gave up my interests in it when I became ill and decided to move back home. But it is so beautiful back there. The worse part would be trying to install a satellite dish in there but it can be done. Also another harsh part of it would be if you had an ice storm out there. There is no getting out. Where our house is takes another 20 minutes to get to once you pass the guard house.
In Pitt County, there is Greenville, which hosts ECU and the medical school. Farmville, Ayden, Fountain, Grifton, and a few smaller towns are in this eastern county. The beaches would take about 2 hours to get to but the Pamlico Sound region is a little closer.
That should get you started a little. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
If you want a small-town feel plus excellent schools, no other town in NC combines the two better than Carrboro, in Orange County. Walkable downtown, friendly people, lots of cute little shops and cafe's. The entire Western and Southern sides are bordered by rural areas. And it is in the most-desired school system in North Carolina.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'd suggest Johnston County which includes Clayton, Garner, Angier, Benson. The reason I say that is that the schools are really up and coming and the land values are less than Raleigh or Cary. I just sold a home to a client of mine...3 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, 1400 square feet, 1 acre, brand new for $129,900. If you decide on North Raleigh or Cary, you'll have good schools (Wake County Public School System) but you'll only get l/4 acre. Hope this helps. Vicki

Old 06-15-2006, 07:46 PM

25 posts, read 87,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
I'd suggest Johnston County which includes Clayton, Garner, Angier, Benson. The reason I say that is that the schools are really up and coming and the land values are less than Raleigh or Cary. I just sold a home to a client of mine...3 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, 1400 square feet, 1 acre, brand new for $129,900. If you decide on North Raleigh or Cary, you'll have good schools (Wake County Public School System) but you'll only get l/4 acre. Hope this helps. Vicki

Just FYI, Garner is in Wake County, and Angier is in Harnett County.

Western Johnston County's growth is booming right now and that isn't a good thing. The roads are congested and the schools are overcrowded. We have thought of moving to Harnett County, which is close to Wake, but not as congested as Johnston - yet.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
My parents have a Garner address but are in Johnston County. I think if you check...part of Garner is in Wake County and part is in Johnston County. I've lived in Raleigh/Cary for over 25 years. I'm pretty famaliar with the area even though I am directionally challenged!!! Vicki

Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 87,043 times
I was raised in Clayton and now live near 4042, so I've been in this area for nearly 40 years! The 4042 area is crazy, with Johnston county people having Wake County addresses. I have a Wake County address and a Harnett County phone number but I live in Johnston County!

What I meant is that the town of Garner is in Wake County and the town of Angier is in Harnett.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:13 PM

9 posts, read 27,586 times
I rate lillington number one for raising children; I know, I raised three in Harnett County. The crime rate is very low, the education is very good and the youth groups give the kids something to do with their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina