Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times

Advertisements

Recently move to North Carolina.

Tried to call and get some questions answered but there was a 4 hr 20 minute wait.
Today to went there. Arrived at 12:30. At 1:30 the clerk went to lunch and said someone would be back at 2PM to help. When the clerk arrived at 2PM we were told they were not taking anymore appts for the day. (we were the first in line at this point and there were at least 30 people in back of us).
We told her the other lady said we would get a number at 2PM. She said sorry.
SHe did schedule an appt for us in March. We told her we only had 60 days to get our new license. SHe said we didn't have an option and hopefully we wouldn't get stopped.

I don't quite understand why this process is so difficult. I can't remember if they close at 4:30 or 5:00. But why don't they post somewhere that you must be in line by such and such a time. In what other business can there be people in line and you just decide not to serve them because its time to go home.

The employees were all very friendly and nice but building was very small and hot. It had to be a fire hazard there were so many people in that building. Kids running around, parents yelling, babies screaming. Not a pleasant experience. People in line said it is always line this. UGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM

190 posts, read 129,033 times
I don't get why anyone is polite to the people working there. "Just doing my job" was the NAZI excuse. What if someone in line gave me $100 to walk inside and spit in one of there faces could I say I was "just doing my job" cause I got paid to do it ?

People need to stop giving them a free pass. F them and their complicated sticker extortion schemes. Its extortion, no one would give them a dime without there threats of kidnapping at gunpoint (arrest) for not playing along.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
I tried getting my son’s permit before the holidays. Online their holidays off were posted as the 24th-26th, so we went on the Saturday before. Nope, they were closed. Went today at 7:10 in the morning. Got into the building at 8:15. It sped up after then and we were done by 10:15. Those with more experience know which ones in an area to go to. And some dmv places are tags only so you can go there and skip some of the mayhem. But really just accept the chaos.

That said waiting for the appointment is dicey. Just go early and expect to miss half the day.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:20 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
I had no problems getting my license and registration set up in NC but scheduled an appointment and was willing to drive to the higher rated DMV in Huntersville. Got in at 7AM when they opened and it wasn't very crowded. They took my appointment right away. Out by 7:40AM.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Definitely go with an appointment. There was a number I called (wish I remembered, had a Raleigh/919 area code), where you could set up an appointment at DMV locations throughout NC.

Getting the plate/tag was wayyyy easier. Walked in without an appointment, towards the end of the day, and the line moved very quickly. Done there in ~30 minutes, probably less.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
I don't get why anyone is polite to the people working there. "Just doing my job" was the NAZI excuse. What if someone in line gave me $100 to walk inside and spit in one of there faces could I say I was "just doing my job" cause I got paid to do it ?

People need to stop giving them a free pass. F them and their complicated sticker extortion schemes. Its extortion, no one would give them a dime without there threats of kidnapping at gunpoint (arrest) for not playing along.
NCDOT maintains over 80,000 miles of roads, second only to Texas.

That is where the money from all of the registrations, etc. goes to.

Especially when politicians don't have the courage to raise gas taxes.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Go to Louisburg or any small town for less waiting.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Go to Louisburg or any small town for less waiting.
I agree. I live in Avery County and have never had any problems with the offices in Newland or Boone.

Many of the tag offices across the state are run by private contractors. They are not DMV employees. In many cases, the tag offices are separate locations from the drivers licence offices, which are DMV. The OP didn't specify whether they were looking to get drivers license or vehicle tag or both. Also, FWIW, based on previous posts, it appears that the OP lives in Greensboro.

It might also help to go first thing in the morning, when the office first opens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina