Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i am an appstate grad and uh i dunno boone is swamped by college students if your idea of invogorating is having 18-21 y/os everywhere sure.

For actual adults looks to slowdown and city amenities and the mountains i reccomend greenville sc or knoxville. Skip asheville man it's for retirees and well heeled yuppies
I didn't know the college in Boone had that much influence on the population. Yeah, college towns are never my cup of tea, unless the college just happens to be in a place that has other things to offer. It sounds like it may have a similar atmosphere to Bellingham, Washington, which also was a large college town. Ironically, the college was the main attraction, as the rest of the town was like a very sleepy suburb. It was also the most beautiful town I have ever lived in my life, but was fairly boring and everyone who wasn't at the school was married/kids type and not much social activity outside of heavy drinking at the many bars in town.

I have passed through Knoxville and spent the night there. Knoxville is also on the top of my list of places to relocate and I am sure the OP would like it. I'm debating between relocating to Knoxville, Nashville, but I am probably going to move back to North Carolina and seriously considering Triad or Charlotte (where I lived for a short time). Greenville SC looks interesting, but I hear its more of a family town (not much for singles) and the cost of living has gone up a lot and SC has an 7.5% state tax (ouch).

Now, that I am aware of the OP's tricky situation, I guess it kind of puts her between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully, she can meet a nice American guy (I'm assuming your straight) and get citizenship; if marriage is an option Physical Therapists are an important asset and they have done a lot to help save me from my own injuries. I respect them more than most people on this Earth.

Everything I hear about Asheville is pretty dismal unless you are a wealthy retiree (as you said) or a trust fund kid who doesn't know what to with all his/her money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
I wouldn’t be worried about Asheville, it’s just too far to commute to. Just look at it as a place that you can visit on weekends if wanted. I’d say just get a place in or near Hickory. This way on the weekends you have the option of Asheville or even Charlotte for entertainment.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
You might want to try Hickory for 6 months and see how it goes.

Or consider a country place on one of the lakes north / northwest of town.

Hickory the city is modest sized but the metro area is over 350,000. There should be stuff to do, people to meet if you dig.

Mooresville / Davidson wouldn't be impossible length commute if you wanted a population with a much more elevated higher education rate. Only half as far as Asheville. About halfway between Hickory for work and Charlotte for urban options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina