Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:25 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,531 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/nc-gop-chairman...heme/18300166/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Spring cleaning!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,255 times
There's so much to absorb here. Let's start with this:

"Hayes, a former congressman and GOP candidate for governor, is also charged with three counts of lying to the FBI. On Monday he announced that he wouldn't seek another term as chairman of the state Republican Party, citing his health."

Yep, federal indictments can be hazardous to your health, kids! Then there's this:

"Lindberg, whose Durham and Raleigh mansions recently went up for sale, has given more than $5 million to North Carolina political campaigns over the last few years, including more than $1.49 million to the state Republican Party. The state party turned around and gave $250,000 of that to Causey's campaign, and the indictment alleges this was an effort to get around state political giving rules, which allow unlimited donations to parties but cap individual campaign donations at $5,400."

Another tip, kids: Putting both your mansions up for sale will draw interest to you whether you like it or not. Next!

"Causey later met with Palermo at a closed restaurant in Chapel Hill, and Palermo suggested the commissioner hire him at the department, the indictment states."

Oh man, I hope it was Pepper's Pizza! Or maybe Krispy Kreme? Anyway, onward:

"The indictment also references an unidentified "Public Official A" that Gray and Lindberg discussed via text message, and who called Causey to "explain that Lindberg was doing good things for North Carolina business" two days after Lindberg made a $150,000 contribution on Feb. 5, 2018, to a committee supporting the official. A joint fundraising committee for Republican 6th District Congressman Mark Walker logged a $150,000 Lindberg donation Feb. 17, 2018. Walker spokesman Jack Minor said Tuesday he couldn't confirm that the congressman, who like Causey is from Guilford County, is "Public Official A." He said Walker has cooperated with the Department of Justice in the case, but that he couldn't characterize the nature of that assistance. "He has not been a target of the investigation and he has assisted the DOJ,” Minor said."

Oh, all clear then for Congressman Walker, right? No worries, just a weird coincidence? Got it! Let's continue:

"Lindberg is also Lt. Gov. Dan Forest's largest donor, having given more than $2 million to political committees supporting him. Hal Weatherman, the head of Forest's exploratory committee for the 2020 gubernatorial race, said in an email that Forest was never questioned by the FBI or other investigators, was never subpoenaed and isn't "Public Official A." Forest told reporters as he headed into an state Senate session Tuesday that he is friends with the people indicted, calling them "good guys." He said neither Lindberg nor his associates ever asked him for anything in return for campaign donations. Lindberg gave $1.4 million to the N.C. Republican Council of State Committee, which Forest chairs, and the lieutenant governor said the group would have to meet to decide how to proceed. He said giving up the money is "certainly an option," but he declined to identify other members of the group that would make that decision."

Well gee, why would they give up the money for a swell bunch of fellows you just called "good guys," am I right? Finally, this:

"As the federal investigation of Lindberg's dealings became public knowledge last year, Forest said repeatedly that the process needed to play out and that he was comfortable keeping the donations. He said Tuesday that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and that the indictments have "absolutely nothing to do with us. It has nothing to do with dirty money or anything else at this point. It has to do with that situation that they were in at the time. I don't know where this is going to lead to in the end. Like I said, in America, you are innocent until proven guilty."

You certainly are, Lt. Gov. Forest. But if I were you at this point and wanted to keep my hopes of being a viable candidate for governor alive in 2020, I'd be avoiding any contact whatsoever with these "good guys" of yours. Voters have a tendency of not liking these sorts of activities in state government. Consider yourself warned.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,030,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Spring cleaning!
My guess would be it wasn't a very effective spring cleaning.

Just a casual mention of the Dems that also took his donations and no indictments.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,206,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
My guess would be it wasn't a very effective spring cleaning.

Just a casual mention of the Dems that also took his donations and no indictments.
All power corrupts.
The GOP had way to much power and thought they could get away with the money.

Shows why there is nothing wrong with divided Govt. Need to have both parties watched if they gain complete control of a Govt.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Sad that this makes people happy on here ... same people who likely were rooting for the mueller report to reveal something.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Sad that this makes people happy on here ... same people who likely were rooting for the mueller report to reveal something.
I am always happy when government corruption is rooted out, regardless of who is doing it.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
If the Democrats are doing the same thing, they should go to jail as well! I believe in equal-opportunity prison sentences. Apparently in NC, as well as the other 49 states, the "clean hands" of politicians are as rare as passenger pigeons!

Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
TRYING TO BRIBE THE INSURANCE COMMISSIONER?????

How stupid is that?? Glad they were fooled by him into incriminating themselves.

That GOP.....

Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I'm not happy about this about all. I'm disgusted by the behavior of these leaders and their failure to admit they were doing wrong and acting in their own selfish interests above the people they are supposed to represent. They can deny all they want to do, but the preponderance of evidence is so strong against them, I can't see how they'll win a court, much less the court of public opinion. These guys should've known better than what they were doing, and I hope they get penalized properly for whatever counts they're found guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina