Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And each state has their own annoyance.

DC vs. Baltimore for example. DC is less urban because the rowhouses have “front yards” (which are literally like 5’x5’.... etc etc

It’s not unique to CLT / RDU
Yeah I guess I get that but it seems more appropriate for cities actually close enough to be rivals in some way. I came from MI where the gap between Detroit and Grand Rapids was so large that even as GR has boomed recently and Detroit has waned, the petty stuff doesn't even exist. Obviously the gap isnt as large between Charlotte and Raleigh as it is with the D and GR but it's like they have to both constantly be compared with Raleigh/Triangle making sure they get reminded of their place. I think someone calculated it at some point and even if the trends stayed exactly the same, it would take Raleigh (or maybe the whole triangle I can't remember) like 98 years to even catch Charlotte. Nobody is coming for the coveted Queen City crown. No pun intended lol. But surely it's understandable how annoying that can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Im 26. I can’t believe some of you are old black men and act that uncivilized. But, whatever.
What in the world is going on?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah I guess I get that but it seems more appropriate for cities actually close enough to be rivals in some way. I came from MI where the gap between Detroit and Grand Rapids was so large that even as GR has boomed recently and Detroit has waned, the petty stuff doesn't even exist. Obviously the gap isnt as large between Charlotte and Raleigh as it is with the D and GR but it's like they have to both constantly be compared with Raleigh/Triangle making sure they get reminded of their place. I think someone calculated it at some point and even if the trends stayed exactly the same, it would take Raleigh (or maybe the whole triangle I can't remember) like 98 years to even catch Charlotte. Nobody is coming for the coveted Queen City crown. No pun intended lol. But surely it's understandable how annoying that can be.

But no One thinks about Raleigh catching up. The eyes are on Atlanta, Nashville, Austin mostly.

And I’m sure I’ve heard y’all say no one thinks of Charlotte there, so. Maybe put the emotions down and give your opinions on the census numbers without getting all “who is coming for the crown” or “Raleigh needs to know it’s place” conversations.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:09 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
What in the world is going on?

Im referencing the “they triggered” type attitude. I generally zone out on that type of attitude.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
I lived in Grand Rapids as a child, back when Grand Rapids was still the furniture capital. Back then even kids knew that there was a competition in the state.

In Pennsylvania, the competition is Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh. I vote for Pennsylvania as the closest comparison.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I lived in Grand Rapids as a child, back when Grand Rapids was still the furniture capital. Back then even kids knew that there was a competition in the state.

In Pennsylvania, the competition is Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh. I vote for Pennsylvania as the closest comparison.
What? Kids knew there was a competition in the state? Between who? Certainly not Detroit vs GR when the gap would have been even larger decades ago then it is now.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
But no One thinks about Raleigh catching up. The eyes are on Atlanta, Nashville, Austin mostly.

And I’m sure I’ve heard y’all say no one thinks of Charlotte there, so. Maybe put the emotions down and give your opinions on the census numbers without getting all “who is coming for the crown” or “Raleigh needs to know it’s place” conversations.
The first statement would make sense if threads throughout the NC forum weren't usually steered into a Raleigh vs Charlotte spin in some way. But since we have plenty of evidence of that...

And yeah no one usually in real life talks about or cares about a Charlotte Raleigh fued as much as it's reflected on this forum. But it's clear it matters to some on both sides in this virtual space. The reasons why things get so ticky tack is what becomes annoying.

I also didn't understand what the black remark had anything to do with anything either? Or old for that matter. If a little kid gets fussy about something that doesn't matter, you've never heard a parent or adult ask them "why are you mad?" That's basically calling someone out for being triggered. Oh yeah, and being triggered over a census stat about Wake soon passing Meck. Which you would like "us" to keep our emotions out of...uh wut?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
What? Kids knew there was a competition in the state? Between who? Certainly not Detroit vs GR when the gap would have been even larger decades ago then it is now.
Yes there was a bigger gap then, but that didn't stop the adults who I knew in Grand Rapids from grousing about Detroit.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes there was a bigger gap then, but that didn't stop the adults who I knew in Grand Rapids from grousing about Detroit.
Well that's an interesting group you were around then because there's not even a remote comparison between Detroit and GR. Never has been and probably never really will be. Lansing and GR would be a better comparison. But ah well that's very much besides the point.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well that's an interesting group you were around then because there's not even a remote comparison between Detroit and GR. Never has been and probably never really will be. Lansing and GR would be a better comparison. But ah well that's very much besides the point.
In my opinion, at that time, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo were the closer comparisons, but the adults always groused about Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina