Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 05:27 PM

909 posts, read 546,048 times

Advertisements

Wow. This is great news. The city of Charlotte, North Carolina has more banking institutions headquarters than any other city besides New York City, New York.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char...North_Carolina
https://www.charlottestories.com/for...iness-in-2019/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 05:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,294 times
Well, this is great news. I know I post a lot of crap about the South, but NC is my home state. I'll always have a space in my heart for the place no matter where I go. The haters will hate soon, I'm sure. You can't post positive things about any place without the naysayers chiming in.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
This makes me wonder what state Forbes would pick as #1 for employees?

Old 12-25-2019, 02:16 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoen1x View Post
It will remain so until the Democrats get in charge.
NC became one of the best states for business under longstanding Democratic leadership and currently has a Democratic governor but don't let facts get in the way.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:01 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Even an article about the whole state becomes simply the title for a Charlotte booster thread. Hahahaha.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:21 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Even an article about the whole state becomes simply the title for a Charlotte booster thread. Hahahaha.
I don't even think the OP's statement about Charlotte is accurate. Second-largest banking hub as rated by assets, I do think that's the case. But there are only two banking headquarters in Charlotte at the moment.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:33 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,250,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoen1x View Post
It will remain so until the Democrats get in charge.
Why oh why do posters here feel the need to make these types of comments? Just knock it the hell off.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:37 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

The poster is from Macon Georgia. This looks like his first post in the NC forums.

Some Charlotte booster.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:50 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
This makes me wonder what state Forbes would pick as #1 for employees?

That would be of interest and maybe more informative than their current listing.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:02 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
I don't mean to be a naysayer, as the second post pointed out, but with Forbes and other such lists, it's important to give some careful evaluation to them, because they tend to be very broad brushed, and written from someone who isn't delving into the nuances that exist within different areas of the state are different than when you average the entire state (10 M+ people) together. Next week, they could easily come out ranking North Carolina or cities/towns within NC at the bottom of the list on another measure.

A few highlights from the article to think about:

The state has the smallest union workforce in the U.S. in terms of percent of total employment. The resulting benefit is labor costs that are 8% below the national average—sixth lowest in the country.

Whether this is good or not depends entirely on perspective. I know people in this state, and the South in general, have been indoctrinated into thinking unions=evil, corrupt, so anti-union is engrained into the culture here. But the corresponding point is that while labor costs are 8% below the national average, it means that salaries lag behind the national average. Which means people aren't making as much money, and in many areas of the state, outside of a dozen or so counties, they're making much less. While that may be good for employers who want to pay as low of a salary as possible, is that fact going to attract top quality employers?

Same for #1 in Regulatory Environment. What does that mean? Certainly, there's a lot of "red tape" that doesn't need to exist, but could there also be laws to protect the public and consumers that exist in other states that don't exist in NC?

College attainment is 31.3%, but again, high college attainment is clustered in a handful of urban and suburban counties, mainly in the Triangle and Charlotte. The vast majority of the state has a lower college attainment, and in many areas of the state, college attainment is vastly less than 31.3%. North Carolina certainly isn't alone here, but it's not as if each area of the state has a third of its population holding 4 year degrees or better.

Again, not to be a naysayer, but it's good to take a closer look at these lists. When a national publication like Forbes takes a jab at North Carolina or some of its cities with a negative list, I'm sure there will be some positive attributes that don't get reflected that could be pointed out then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: