Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I need your advice. So I am a single mom of 2 who is "disabled". I have had a triple bypass, stroke and congestive heart failure. I currently struggle with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I currently live in the Midwest but my doctor spefically suggested that I move to North Carolina to ease some of the weather related effects of my medical conditions. I have been searching for months at potential cities to move to but am so scared at what I see in the news of flooding and tornadoes. Can anyone suggest any areas not prone to flooding or tornadoes that are family friendly and within 30 minutes of good health care. I prefer small towns or suburbs. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
So sorry. That sounds like a lot to deal with. What kind of weather in the Midwest affects your conditions? I'm not sure that North Carolina is going to be a whole lot better. We have hot and humid summers and chilly winters (with snow usually though not as much as the Midwest) and lots of rain. We do have tornadoes (usually fairly small, but just had some EF2 and EF1s last weekend) and the occasional hurricane and flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was told you guys have mild winters. Below 35-40 degrees is too much and constant changes in temperature affects me. I don't do too well with chilly winter wind either. I can take some humidity but haven't had to deal with bad humidity before. I can't do too sunny because it causes lupus flares. If not north Carolina, should I try South Carolina and if so, where? Thanks for caring and responding.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:01 PM

275 posts, read 232,408 times
No real difference between NC and SC, weatherwise, and it doesn't sound like either one would be a great fit. imo. I'd suggest the coastal pacific northwest maybe?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 PM

I'll check into that. Thanks

Old 04-25-2019, 06:09 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh2010 View Post
I was told you guys have mild winters. Below 35-40 degrees is too much and constant changes in temperature affects me. I don't do too well with chilly winter wind either. I can take some humidity but haven't had to deal with bad humidity before. I can't do too sunny because it causes lupus flares. If not North Carolina, should I try South Carolina and if so, where?
We certainly have winter temps below 40 degrees, even on the coast. Coastal South Carolina would be warmer but equally humid. BTW, San Diego and nearby Southern California would have the best weather.

You also need to consider that any disability benefits might be affected if they are paid by state funds. We probably do not have such generous benefits as your midwest state has.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 AM

275 posts, read 232,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
BTW, San Diego and nearby Southern California would have the best weather.
"I can't do too sunny because it causes lupus flares."

Would seem to rule out southern California, imo.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
We usually go below freezing at night in the winter here.

Maybe coastal Oregon or Washington state? I think all of the East coast is going to be cold in the winter and sunny in the summer, except Florida where it's sunny all the time.

You might ask on the City vs City forum. //www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/

Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM

730 posts, read 775,392 times
Where in the MidWest?

Just Wisconsin to Cincinnati would be a huge weather improvement. Cincy is one of the cloudier places in the US. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...est-cities.php

If stuck on NC look around Brevard at elevation as that is one of the wettest areas in the Eastern US and would 30-45 minutes to Asheville/Henderson healthcare.

Keep in mind while the cooler temps in the Carolinas are at elevation the sun at elevation is harsher.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
NC has a varied terrain and climate. Did your Doc have anything more specific than "North Carolina" as to where you should move? That encompasses everything from the beach to Appalachia.

Ask the doc where specifically they have been in NC that they think would work for you. The climate is quite different from the east to the west. And is climate the ONLY reason you are looking here? What about housing, income, cost of living, things to do, etc? All of these will factor into where you want to move to, whatever state you end up in. NC is both extremely rural and quite urban, depending on what part of the state you're in. I wonder if your doctor has even been here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina