Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:06 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about the decline of the popularity of golf. The factors are oulined here: https://golfoperatormagazine.com/decline-of-golf/

So, I was wondering how the price of housing is affected in Pinehurst. There are many traditonal homes that are available for a much lower price per square foot than in the Triangle. Of courrse there are a few million dollar plus homes that loo hard to sell. Most of them are attractive but want modernizing.

Would it be a good move for a retiree to purchase a home in Pinehurst? I want disregard whether they ply golf, and just consider whether the home would be a good investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"...whether the home would be a good investment."
depends upon your age.
60? ok.
70? maybe.
80? no.

personally, we are "taking money off the table" since the last 3 years have been so good.
we live in NC. Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen is super-duper expensive for our tastes.
we like Chapel Hill since Health Care is our "big deal" and if you live in Pinehurst, they will
take you to Chapel Hill or Duke when the time comes.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:24 PM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been reading about the decline of the popularity of golf. The factors are oulined here: https://golfoperatormagazine.com/decline-of-golf/

So, I was wondering how the price of housing is affected in Pinehurst. There are many traditonal homes that are available for a much lower price per square foot than in the Triangle. Of courrse there are a few million dollar plus homes that loo hard to sell. Most of them are attractive but want modernizing.

Would it be a good move for a retiree to purchase a home in Pinehurst? I want disregard whether they ply golf, and just consider whether the home would be a good investment.
I don't think the decline in the popularity of golf is going to substantially effect the price of housing in the Pinehurst area.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:29 PM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"...whether the home would be a good investment."
depends upon your age.
60? ok.
70? maybe.
80? no.

personally, we are "taking money off the table" since the last 3 years have been so good.
we live in NC. Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen is super-duper expensive for our tastes.
we like Chapel Hill since Health Care is our "big deal" and if you live in Pinehurst, they will
take you to Chapel Hill or Duke when the time comes.
I don't understand your post at all. The question asked was if the decline in the popularity of golf will affect housing prices/values in the Pinehurst area. If that is true, then buying as a 60 year old would be worse than buying as an 80 year old. And if its not true, then one's age is irrelevant.

And in regard to your second paragraph, are you saying Pinehurst's housing costs are higher than Chapel Hill's?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Health care in Pinehurst is very good, very good. Usually no need to go anywhere else for procedures unless you have something really tricky. It is ranked 8th in the state according to US News, better than many hospitals in Raleigh and Charlotte. https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/nc

I don't think the decline of the popularity of golf elsewhere will affect Pinehurst. Pinehurst is one of the iconic golf resorts. Golf losing popularity might affect country clubs and whether housing developers build their neighborhoods around new courses, but Pinehurst is always going to be synonymous with the top echelon of golf.

Pinehurst shows no signs of losing popularity with retirees and is growing across many segments of the population. It could be a good investment, but I don't know that it's going to be a bargain.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Housing in Pinehurst has, and always will be, cheaper than the Triangle. You really can't compare the two.

I go through Pinehurst pretty often and whenever I do there are plenty of people out there on the courses. I often have to stop to let a convoy of golf carts across the road. It doesn't appear to me they are suffering too bad, at least not right now.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Pinehurst shows no signs of losing popularity with retirees and is growing across many segments of the population. It could be a good investment, but I don't know that it's going to be a bargain.
Thanks. The article confirms my impression that there are many younger military families living there. It also mentions retirees who have children living and working in the Triangle. I have looked at retirment communities in the Triangle, and they are far more expensive than an average older Pinehurst home.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have looked at retirment communities in the Triangle, and they are far more expensive than an average older Pinehurst home.
That sounds like apples vs oranges, though. I would expect Pinehurst to be a little cheaper, but you should really be comparing retirement communities in both places or older homes in both places.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:44 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
It will continue to be a semi-popular retirement destination for a handful of reasons.
  • Firsthealth is a good Medical System
  • It has low taxes especially compared to the NE
  • Also compared to many retirees originating city, no snow to speak of
  • You get good bang-for-buck as far as housing goes
  • Ft Bragg will provide a baseline of turnover for the RE market

Regarding Golf, Pinehurst is a popular golf area and has been for a long, long time. While I won't argue that they'll feel the decline in Golf's popularity, its not nearly as acute as it is somewhere like the Golf Course that folded up in Fuquay Varina. Pinehurst was a golf destination long before Golf rose in popularity.

Its a little like Asheville, in the sense that I think it will continue to attract a demographic beyond its original driver for popularity. Asheville was a vacation spot for well-to-do southerners to escape the heat. Now people don't totally think of escaping the heat, but they still think of Asheville as a spot to retire (low taxes, good healthcare, mild climate...) The similarity is doubly amusing if you consider that Pinehurst is possibly the most un-Asheville like place in NC.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Pinehurst: An insurance adjuster’s worst nightmare.

Dropped pin
Near Pinehurst, NC
https://goo.gl/maps/ZR1nhpggZ2r3yHM47
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina