Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 PM

106 posts, read 151,731 times

Advertisements

We live in Phoenix, Az and are looking to move somewhere that the state color is something other than brown (brown sky, brown dirt, brown homes, etc). I've done a little research on N.C. and can't for the life of me figure out why everyone doesn't live there. The weather may get a little cold but I'm so tired of sweating in March that I really don't think it is a reason not to move there. Are there a lot of storms or hurricanes that come inland. Is the humidity unbearable in the summer? Do the mosquitos carry people away?What gives? It sounds like an amazing state. Green, lush, and the people sound very friendly. Can anyone tell me what they dislike (other than us out of staters moving in, lol). Please be honest, this is a large move for us and your oppinion matters to me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Can't think of anything that would apply to the entire state. Maybe you could narrow your question to a particular region of NC.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-13-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
I'm a native. The only issue I have with NC is the pollen. But that's a couple of weeks a year. You get all four seasons here, but if you are expecting gobs of snow, look to move more towards the mountains. What's "a lot" as far as storms go? We get them. Hurricanes depend on the season, but rarely do they come way inland. The humidity will be an adjustment in peak summertime since you are used to dry heat, but you don't walk around sopping wet as soon as you step outside. There are water bugs on the coast that you could ride like a skateboard. The mosquitos are average. Not like a jungle nor anything. I've moved out of state several times and I keep coming back.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM

106 posts, read 151,731 times
So far I have fallen in love with the Greensboro area. However, my husbands company also has offices in Raleigh and Charlotte so we are flexable. We do have horses though so would need acreage for them.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
So far I have fallen in love with the Greensboro area. However, my husbands company also has offices in Raleigh and Charlotte so we are flexable. We do have horses though so would need acreage for them.
You might want to look into southwest side of Randolph County (Asheboro west side of hwy 220. It is a good middle of the road area between those three cities and the price of acre is alot cheaper than to be in the other areas. 50 minutes to greensboro about an hour and half to Charlotte or Raliegh.

The reason I suggest the south west side is because you will be near the Uwharrie Mountains and Badin and High Rock Lake. It the only mountain chain in the Piedmont area of the state. Randolph County, North Carolina detailed profile - houses, real estate, agriculture, wages, work, ancestries, and more

I dont really have any issue with this state that isnt related to the spurt of growth this area has had.
I wish the Spring season was a little shorter but that will change usually about mid May. I think the Spring season is a little to cool on average for my likings but it like all the seasons alot of flip flop with the temperature. It could be very warm one day and very cool the next.
Yesterday was a prime example of the flip flop I had my windows open in the house during the day and I had to close them in the late afternoon, and today I got the heat on.
I dont like to shiver at all so I have a gut feeling from where you are coming from you might be the same. It nothing bad or drastic I just want to be comfortable so I always keep a light jacket around.

I dont find the summers bad but I am use to it and about everywhere you go they have air conditioners and some set theres on meat locker temperature lol. I remember someone else who relocated from your area stated it takes about two years before they could get use to humidity.
I never find storms to be very severe about anywhere you go will have weather issues just pay attention to them and how it functions with your land and waterways nearby.

The things that bother me about this state in my early 20's are things I enjoy now so I try to look for the posistive of what this state can bring to my overall quality of life.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-13-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Taxes of every kind, surcharges, fees, on everything, and a state house full of corrupt leaches. Another one has just been sentenced to 6 years in prison.

And what do we get for that, not much except bad roads and watch as services are cut or completely eliminated in a systematic effort to eliminate all of them. One of the most visible was shutting down the mental health system, which has had very negative effect on society, suicides, and increased the crimes as a result.

Of course the fact that industry is leaving the state doesn't help either (not everyone can be a bank executive) nor do they want to clerk at a 7-11. The state's tax scheme has something to do with, and Washington also deserves a lot of credit.

A friend has a electrical engineering consulting business and was struggling to keep the business going. On the advise of his CPA to leave NC, he move to a much more business friendly state (SC), and after moving himself, business, and employees that would transfer to Greer SC, his business is thriving now that he is out from under the regulatory thumb and oppressive taxation and fees of NC. He believes he would have gone out of business had he stayed in NC.

NC the state that has never seen a tax, fee, or surcharge they didn't like.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I agree with Asheville Native plus the lack of snow during the winter and the extreme humidity during the summer.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
What about Georgia?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 PM

33 posts, read 93,154 times
Georgia for the most part has yet to recover from Sherman's urban development schemes.

It's a nice state, but the great whacking storms they can get there make me a nervous wreck. I prefer the NC piedmont region where things are a little calmer.

Someone mentioned the Uwharries - wonderful area, would love to go there myself.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismyself View Post
Georgia for the most part has yet to recover from Sherman's urban development schemes.

It's a nice state, but the great whacking storms they can get there make me a nervous wreck. I prefer the NC piedmont region where things are a little calmer.

Someone mentioned the Uwharries - wonderful area, would love to go there myself.
Atlanta is on the Piedmont, and Georgia is almost hurricane proof, as the Georgia coastline rarely gets hit. The tornado that came through downtown was very unusual.

There's nothing to suggest that General Sherman's burning of Atlanta has left any impact (other than a lack of some historic buildings).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina