Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,386,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Back in 90's my job required that I travel to Charlotte on a monthly basis. During those trips, I happen to visit Asheville a few times. Back then it seemed like the Biltmore estate was far removed from the city and downtown Asheville was fairly small.

Last week I vacationed in Asheville. Wow, the changes!

Now it seems the Biltmore estate and (new?) Biltmore Village are just a suburb of Asheville. And the city has become the largest gathering of hipsters and ironic shops and restaurants outside of Portland. WTF?

Asheville, what happened?
It is also a well known sanctuary city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:39 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,857,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Right, plus Long Island, Newark, Jersey City, etc, that whole "locale". I keep hearing New Yorkers telling their family sell out, come down here and buy lots of land here because it's cheap, but I have mixed feelings on that...
Well it's a lot more than just that, depending if you're stereotyping and generalizing ~20 million people or geography of that magnitude.

A state that takes more than 10 hours to drive across has a lot more diversity of cultures that just that, what I know a little about from having lived near some of the places you mentioned, and other places 8-10 hours from them. Heck to the point of having different NFL teams. Makes one wonder what the Buffalonians think of Syracusians and what they think of Rochestarians and what they think of Albanians and what they think of Binghamptonians - all connected by dairy farms and with their own differences in personas. Oh yeah, and then there's them dreaded Connecticutians...

Old 07-06-2019, 03:03 PM

305 posts, read 210,539 times
Sorry to hear that about Asheville. I’ve spent a good portion of my life hanging out and dreaming in places like Brooklyn Heights, Austin, and Hyde Park Chicago. I got so sick to my stomach from being around so many America haters. To have virtually every conversation morph into some invective on Western culture began to crush my spirit.

But hey, the coffee is probably pretty good.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,344,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Sorry to hear that about Asheville. I’ve spent a good portion of my life hanging out and dreaming in places like Brooklyn Heights, Austin, and Hyde Park Chicago. I got so sick to my stomach from being around so many America haters. To have virtually every conversation morph into some invective on Western culture began to crush my spirit.

But hey, the coffee is probably pretty good.

Chicago, New York etc ARE America. They’re why people visit.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,941,092 times
i just made a thread about the massive amount of hipsters, it's truly impressive just on the sheer amount.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,246,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Asheville, what happened?
Nothing wrong with your local Asheville barista having that PhD in art history and making you your daily lattes, someone has to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina