Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 02:08 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Nah the '20 Census has Durm at around 36.3% black, compared to Fayetteville 42.1%, Greensboro 41.8%, Greenville 40.4%...

Durm and The Ville are very, very similar, but one contrast is that white and black Durmites aren't as integrated into the same communities as they are in Fayetteville, you can visually perceive this with your eyes in and around both cities. Obviously, all the large cities have some degree of integration, hope I didn't need to point that out for anyone...

Fayetteville is the most integrated of the large cities though. Granted, there are specific pockets of intense diversity + integration in areas like Mini City, N Raleigh; and a few sections of E Charlotte. But in totality, those cities, like Durm, are not as racially integrated as The Ville...

Durm and Fay have similar crime rates across the board, but in Durm you can more easily "forget" about the impoverished or violent areas. There just is less segregation in Fayetteville, and in part, this shapes the overall word of mouth of Fayetteville, there aren't many places or things you can do in Fayetteville without interacting directly with black folk and at the root that isn't something a lot of (I won't say most) white Carolinians are truly comfortable with...
part of this is the nature of the largest employers in both cities...when a large chunk of the population all have the same employer, Military, Good Year, Cape Fear Valley, etc there isn't much separating anyone, the Raleigh and Durham area is gentrifying like crazy, where as fayetteville isn't seeing the same growth and military people are just moving into existing neighborhoods vs building some ish that's gonna whine up giving people the boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 08:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
I guess City-Data’s info is a little outdated.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:49 AM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
For one, there's not enough tourism in Fayetteville or anywhere near it. There are very few reasons to go there. At least Greensboro has a water park that draws in some tourism, along with universities like UNCG. If you're from a small town like Raeford or Laurinburg and you need a mall or more amenities, then yes, visiting Fayetteville makes sense. If you're from a larger city like Raleigh, then Fayetteville doesn't offer much at all. Growing up in the Triangle, the only reason I'd drive through the Fayetteville area was going to Myrtle Beach. I didn't have any other reason to visit that area.

In addition, you have to drive through that mess of construction along I-40 outside of Raleigh (around Clayton) to get down to Fayetteville, if you're coming from the direction of the Triangle. So the drive to get down there is annoying and the destination doesn't offer much that the Triangle doesn't already have.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:16 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
This isn't the case for most of the large cities, where whites don't have to interact with black people in many instances if they don't desire to...
I'm interested in this statement. Are you saying this is the case in Durham, Raleigh or anywhere else in the Triangle? I lived in both Fayetteville and Durham and I do not agree with you- both cities are extremely integrated, at least in my experience- I would call it exactly equal on that front.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:51 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
In addition, you have to drive through that mess of construction along I-40 outside of Raleigh (around Clayton) to get down to Fayetteville, if you're coming from the direction of the Triangle. So the drive to get down there is annoying and the destination doesn't offer much that the Triangle doesn't already have.
You don’t have to drive through that mess of construction to get down to Fayetteville, but that is probably the most convenient way to get there.

Going down 1 and then taking 421 to 87 in Sanford only takes 20-30 additional minutes, and Google also suggested another route taking 401 to 55 and then 210.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
We always took 401 between Raleigh and Fayetteville back in the old days, but I haven't been that way in ages.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
There's a racial element that touches the perception of Fayetteville, too. It's the blackest large city in NC (only Gso and Gville are within 2.5 percentage points of Fayetteville's black percentage, of the 80,000+ cities), and is more integrated than pretty much all of them...

This is important to state because Fayetteville is both factually a very black city, and it feels particularly welcoming for black people, and is strongly integrated. It's hard to go anywhere in Fayetteville, or do anything in Fayetteville, without seeing black citizens...

This isn't the case for most of the large cities, where whites don't have to interact with black people in many instances if they don't desire to...

Add this with the smaller, weaker economy, and lower wages and listen to how people talk about Fayetteville in relation to other large cities that are less black, but full of crime (start with Wilmington but it isn't the only example here), it really isn't difficult to see the racial bias...

I've mentioned this in years past because it isn't difficult to see. Among other things, there's a racial element to helps shape the perception of Fayetteville---->because again, it really isn't that far behind these other cities at all, and some of these cities that are more favored than Fayetteville (start with Wilmington again), it is a better experience than anyway...
Where does this happen in Raleigh? I see a mix of white and black everywhere.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:40 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Fayetteville may have a population over 200,000 but it has the look and feel of a really small town. It is also isolated from the Piedmont Cresent cities of Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Charlotte along the I-40/85 corridor which in many ways has hurt the city. Fayetteville is trying though with downtown revitalization. The city needs industry plain and simple. When it can attract more jobs, it can attract more people and amenities that are common in the Piedmont Cresent cities. Fayetteville heavily relies on Fort Bragg. What Fayetteville has going for it is that it is on the I-95 corridor. An interstate connection with Charlotte would help as well. There is already one being planned between Greensboro and the Fayetteville area. It could become an interstate crossroads of sorts for that region of the state which could go a long way in attracting jobs. Another thing that hurts the city is the lack of really good universities. You need a highly educated workforce for good paying jobs.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-03-2022 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 PM

926 posts, read 827,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Fayetteville may have a population over 200,000 but it has the look and feel of a really small town. It is also isolated from the Piedmont Cresent cities of Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Charlotte along the I-40/85 corridor which in many ways has hurt the city. Fayetteville is trying though with downtown revitalization. The city needs industry plain and simple. When it can attract more jobs, it can attract more people and amenities that are common in the Piedmont Cresent cities. Fayetteville heavily relies on Fort Bragg. What Fayetteville has going for it is that it is on the I-95 corridor. An interstate connection with Charlotte would help as well. There is already one being planned between Greensboro and the Fayetteville area. It could become an interstate crossroads of sorts for that region of the state which could go a long way in attracting jobs. Another thing that hurts the city is the lack of really good universities. You need a highly educated workforce for good paying jobs.
Fayetteville “looks and feels” like a “really small town” ..???

I hope that’s satire.

Fayetteville is also growing at a relatively fast rate.

I think one thing the city could do, is greatly improve its airport, which has definitely fallen behind. The city could really attract passenger flyers from smaller cities, such as Wilmington and Florence SC, while simultaneously growing an advanced aeronautical industry utilizing its runways. Cargo transport by air is another pro.

I do agree with the interstate to Charlotte suggestion, and the I-95 corridor has caused a sudden boom in economic development in southern Cumberland County, which is a really good thing.

The lack of a major university in the city does negatively impact the city, although I don’t think that is something that is necessarily “repairable” unfortunately.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:43 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Cumberland County had a 4.8% growth rate between 2010 and 2020. I wouldn't call that "fast" growth, but just growth. Fayetteville itself had a 3.8% growth rate during the same period.

Next door Hoke County had a 10.9% growth rate during that same period...I would call that fast growth. Especially since most of the growth is on the Cumberland side of Hoke. That should continue with the construction of Section B and A of the I-295 loop that is underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina