Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,011,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
We are having the same challenges here Im planning on putting my house on the market next month dh had a phone interview this week we will hear something after the new year, we did hear he is the Front Runner right now however for us we were told it was 6 months consulting to hire...well it is 6 months consulting and we are tying to find more info because that is a bit risky, however my husband has a few connections and called a few people (networking) as he always does...He is in IT and recieved quiet alot of interest so we will see, but Im afraid if I sell my house in 3 months and he still doesnt get a job then what?? So we are really trying to time this whole process and that we have 2 children and need to finish out school...Originally we said the same thing, no big deal for him to commute back and fourth for a bit until the house sells however you will find ALOT of companies that WILL NOT pay for a relo, which is fine for us however I cant afford paying all the bills in NJ while paying rent for an intrum apt in NC, SO WE really need to figure out what we will do...
We're fine with having to pay to relocate as well and could swing paying for an apt and our mortgage (hubby would move down first) if we have to BUT it would be great to find a company that does pay for relo. I have to say at least in my husband's field (he's a buyer) the salary seems to be the same (and in some cases a bit better) in NC than in mass but i will most certainly end up having to take a pay cut (i'm in marketing/advertising).

From what everyone has said networking really does seem to be the key to getting a job in another state. ugh that's gonna be tough.

good luck with your move and the sale of your home. You're braver than me. I just can't do that without knowing one of us has a job. although with the way real estate is right now in mass it could take months to sell our house but with my luck I'd put it on without us having jobs and it would sell in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM

567 posts, read 2,137,303 times
Default finding job in another state

What about a headhunter? They are paid to promote their clients! I believe that if you are applying for a job with an out-of-state resume, it gets tossed aside (been there, done that).

With the housing market the way it is, I would definitely not worry about your house selling "too fast" (been there, regret that).

Don't move without jobs either - that financial situation could be unfortunate.

PM me for more information. My husband and I both recently got jobs out of state. Him first (through a headhunter) then I got one and moved after he did. It can be done!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,325,957 times
Let me rephrase, we arent going unless hubby has a job..2 companies found him just today and are interested however 1 is 6 months + consulting and 12 month I would say to entertain the 12 month...its not as risky...for us anyway, but NO I dont reccomend anyone going WITHOUT a job unless they can afford to...

Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 PM

Honestly that is what im afraid because the way my life has been that would happen and then Id be homeless and dh would be jobless...LOL and so Im trying to time this whole thing and the way I look at it, I have a higher end home to sell and it may sit until april or so, so I have to hope by april or so My dh will have a new job in NC....

Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 PM

110 posts, read 455,331 times
I am in the process of relocating. When I was asked in my first interview why I was interested in moving to NC, I said that my interest wasn't in moving to North Carolina, my interest was in working for that company, and NC just happened to be where the job was. (Which was the truth - if I had my "druthers" I'd stay in Oregon, but I really did want to work for that company) Anyway, I got the job.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:44 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,705,430 times
Default put you house on the market!

NJmomof2, do yourself a favor and put your house on the market soon! We were in the same predicament you are in. After several attempts at landing a job in Charlotte, my husband was always told to "call us when you've relocated." The pool of candidates for jobs is so competitive in Charlotte (especially for IT jobs, thankfully my husband is not in IT), that most companies have a lot of people to choose from THAT ALREADY LIVE THERE! We also had a "high-end" house to sell, here in NJ, so we put it on the market in October and (thankfully) sold it by the end of November. We just decided to price it to sell and it did. We also don't want a house this size in Charlotte. The reason we want to relocate to Charlotte is to down-size a bit, for a change of pace and for family.
I'm sure if you have an expensive house to sell in NJ, you can buy a very nice home in NC and still have plenty of $$$ left to survive until your husband finds a job. (Provided you made good investment choices in New Jersey and don't have a ton of debt.) What would happen if your husband lands a job in Charlotte, you buy a home there, move there and he loses his job (God forbid) after a couple of years, then what?
My two cents: Sell your house, get into a situation in NC that you can afford even if your husband loses his job down the road.
Oh, and "he's so hott", thanks for the informative post.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 34,980 times
My husband and I live in Georgia and he just got a job in New Bern. I know it is difficult when you go for an interview and don't get the job. If you've already said it, sorry I didn't see it, but what kind of field is he in? Do you think that might affect whether or not they go with a local person? Although it is odd that they invest the money to send for him and then don't hire him.

I don't advise that you quit your jobs to go live in a place to look for a job. I'm just conservative that way. There is that saying that it is easier to get a job when you have a job, and I do believe that is true. Besides, that area doesn't seem to be a mecca for jobs.

Keep applying and let us know how it is going.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 PM

my hubby just made a great contact through a friend who is a recruiter and has set up 2 interviews for dh ....there is a big demand for what my husband does he is in upper management...and I agree about the house, Im getting ready to put it up in the 3 weeks, have to steam clean the carpets clean up the front landscaping etc....I also agree my dh said what is the worse thing we sell the house put our stuff in storage and go into a short term rental and let him find a job while down there....but either way we will be NC bound..

Old 12-22-2006, 02:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,011,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle View Post
My husband and I live in Georgia and he just got a job in New Bern. I know it is difficult when you go for an interview and don't get the job. If you've already said it, sorry I didn't see it, but what kind of field is he in? Do you think that might affect whether or not they go with a local person? Although it is odd that they invest the money to send for him and then don't hire him.

I don't advise that you quit your jobs to go live in a place to look for a job. I'm just conservative that way. There is that saying that it is easier to get a job when you have a job, and I do believe that is true. Besides, that area doesn't seem to be a mecca for jobs.

Keep applying and let us know how it is going.
Hi Katiebelle,

My husband is a buyer for a manufacturing company in mass. he has almost 10 years experience. He's extremely talented at what he does. His negotiation skills are AMAZING. The CEO of his company has even complimented him on his negotiating abilities. (part of me thinks he's just SO nervous and excited that he's not coming across as a strong as he should) You're so right about the area not having a LOT of jobs to choose from but it's the right area for us (we both love the ocean - don't live near it now and feel like if we're going to move almost 1000 miles from family and friends we want to do this right and being on the coast is right for us). We've actually considered georgia too (savannah/tybee island area). visited tybee island in may and LOVED it. I do not want to move anywhere without a job. i think it's well stupid but hubby's getting frustrated. i keep telling him it hasn't been THAT long.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM

414 posts, read 1,378,017 times
Bottom Line is with so many people moving employers don't need to bother with out of state people. why would they pay for a relo when they is plenty of people moving down by the day to work. Plus they don't want to deal with out of state because is usually a waste of their time because people change their mind. If you want a job get a NC address then you will be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina