U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 25,187 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am also thinking of moving to Raleigh, or Charlotte. What is the best course of action I should take to get there? I am looking for a receptionist or administrative position. I know that alot of companies will not look at your resume if they see an out of state address. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,243,006 times
I'd say apply early. Some employers get hundreds of resumes for one position, and I would think you'd have a better chance if you are one of the first ones to submit your application package, as opposed to waiting until the closing date.

Also, don't forget to try looking for jobs with the federal, state, county and city governments.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 30,940 times
My suggestion to you would be to take a week and make a trip to the area. Start now by researching jobs available and then set up appointments for the time you are here. You can also look at Craigslist.com, the News and Observer and other local papers.

Hope that helps

Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM

128 posts, read 392,139 times
naty30 - I would also suggest visiting the areas first. There's a very different feel to Charlotte and Raleigh. Charlotte is closer to the mountains, Raleigh is closer to the ocean. "Raleigh" really can mean the Triangle area, which includes Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh, as well as an abundance of surrounding smaller cities.

Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) Companies & Businesses

This website lists over 25,000 companies in the Raleigh area. You might check out some of those on the top 20 list for both Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 AM

122 posts, read 449,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naty30 View Post
Hello,

I am also thinking of moving to Raleigh, or Charlotte. What is the best course of action I should take to get there? I am looking for a receptionist or administrative position. I know that alot of companies will not look at your resume if they see an out of state address. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
For a general office position, you might want to check out the many temp/consulting agencies in both areas. They are more willing to look at an out-of-state resume than a regular company will, especially since they provide their own testing methods. More than ever, companies are doing the temp-to-perm thing, so they don't have to invest the time and money in a perm hire that might not work out. When I moved to N.C., I did the temp office thing at first, then got a perm job within 3 months. There is still some risk involved, but not as risky as moving here without a job at all. Also, you can open a P.O. Box in either Charlotte or Raleigh and use that address on your resume, so it gives the impression that you live here. Then explain yourself at the interview. Getting the interview means you have won half the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina