Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 PM

139 posts, read 119,003 times

Advertisements

I've been slowly moving Greensboro up my list for potential areas to move to in the next few years as I start my professional career. I'm not someone who buries themselves in politics, but I do like to be more aware and get out to vote more than the average American. With that said, would anyone be able to give a quick rundown on the political environment in each area? I've seen some things discussed (in a political sense) about the Charlotte area that are making it less attractive, in addition to a couple other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
I've been slowly moving Greensboro up my list for potential areas to move to in the next few years as I start my professional career. I'm not someone who buries themselves in politics, but I do like to be more aware and get out to vote more than the average American. With that said, would anyone be able to give a quick rundown on the political environment in each area? I've seen some things discussed (in a political sense) about the Charlotte area that are making it less attractive, in addition to a couple other factors.
What exactly do you mean by "political environment"? Durham is quite liberal, G'boro and W-S somewhat less so, if thats what you mean. But thats generally true of all NC cities. One could easily live in a more conservative area nearby if desired.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 09-04-2019 at 06:19 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 05:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
What exactly do you mean by "political environment"? Durham is quite liberal, G'boro and W-S somewhat less so, if thats what you mean. But thats generally true of all NC cities. One could easily live in a more conservation area nearby if desired.
pretty much this, Though I can say nowadays Winston Salem and Greensboro respectively, definitely land in the liberal category vs the rest of the triad which is definitely more conservative. Honestly a lot of the time, both Greensboro and Winston feel more like the triangle than the triad, which i’m not saying the triad is bad, just it’s very slow and country outside of the large metros.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 PM

241 posts, read 237,525 times
Quote:

You could start here (results from the previous presidential election) for somewhat of a clue on how each area leans.

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...orth-carolina/

Old 09-04-2019, 03:05 PM

719 posts, read 494,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
pretty much this, Though I can say nowadays Winston Salem and Greensboro respectively, definitely land in the liberal category vs the rest of the triad which is definitely more conservative. Honestly a lot of the time, both Greensboro and Winston feel more like the triangle than the triad, which i’m not saying the triad is bad, just it’s very slow and country outside of the large metros.
To me Greensboro isn't really all that progressive. It is making some changes but still has a long way to go. I went to college there from 1998- 2002 and then moved back there and lived from 2007 to August 2018. The Triad is what it is. A nice conservative place to raise a family.....

Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
To me Greensboro isn't really all that progressive. It is making some changes but still has a long way to go. I went to college there from 1998- 2002 and then moved back there and lived from 2007 to August 2018. The Triad is what it is. A nice conservative place to raise a family.....
I disagree. The cities are very liberal. Not as liberal as some other NC cities, but still. Maybe if you're living in the suburbs the Triad would seem conservative.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM

139 posts, read 119,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
What exactly do you mean by "political environment"?
In addition to the conservative vs liberal nature of the areas, which has been answered. I'm also wondering how in your face the politics can be. From browsing the Charlotte forum it seems like there's a lot of strong feelings on particular things that are being put out in the open. I would assume this translate fairly well to being the same way off of the internet.

Here in NE Ohio where I currently live it seems politics are very in our faces and filled with controversial happenings, which trickle into the communities where direct impacts are very obvious.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
In addition to the conservative vs liberal nature of the areas, which has been answered. I'm also wondering how in your face the politics can be. From browsing the Charlotte forum it seems like there's a lot of strong feelings on particular things that are being put out in the open. I would assume this translate fairly well to being the same way off of the internet.
Having lived in Charlotte for 6 years, up until about 5 years ago, I'd say that not the case at all. I've never been anywhere in NC where politics was in your face open, unless one wanted it. Again, Durham may be a little more in your face, but the Triad definitely isn't.

In my overall experience, the internet bears little resemblance to real life.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM

719 posts, read 494,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I disagree. The cities are very liberal. Not as liberal as some other NC cities, but still. Maybe if you're living in the suburbs the Triad would seem conservative.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I grew up in Charlotte and currently live in Charlotte. After I graduated from A&T I lived in DC for 5 years. Compared to what I am used to Greensboro is VERY conservative. Even smaller cities like Asheville, Greenville, S.C. are more liberal than Greensboro to me. It's all about perspective....

Old 09-05-2019, 06:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I grew up in Charlotte and currently live in Charlotte. After I graduated from A&T I lived in DC for 5 years. Compared to what I am used to Greensboro is VERY conservative. Even smaller cities like Asheville, Greenville, S.C. are more liberal than Greensboro to me. It's all about perspective....
GREENVILLE tho????? That place is a conservative's paradise. Greenville County doesn't even vote blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina